PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Glen July 21-22

gizmo83
07-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Any one know where the entry list for the Pro-IT running July 21-22 went?? It was on the Motorsports Reg with the July Regional and then it disappeared! The Pro-IT website just links back to the Regional lists!

Terry Hanushek
07-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Denise

Any one know where the entry list for the Pro-IT running July 21-22 went?? It was on the Motorsports Reg with the July Regional and then it disappeared! The Pro-IT website just links back to the Regional lists!

Its back .. sort of. If you go to the bottom of the July Sprints entry list, the Pro IT entry list has returned - It says there are 31 entries but only shows one (Jim Slechta). I suspect this has something to do with the phone call I got from the region over the weekend regarding eligible classes.

I will notify the region of the problem.

See ya at the Glen

Terry

Ed Funk
07-10-2012, 05:24 AM
Yeah, group 6 is screwey also. Steph was entered in HP, then the whole group disappeared and now it's partially back with many drivers missing.

StephF
07-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Yeah, group 6 is screwey also. Steph was entered in HP, then the whole group disappeared and now it's partially back with many drivers missing.

It's a plot, I tell ya....Unless you know the sooper secret handshake you don't get to play.....hey look! A black helicopter just flew by!
:026:

(sorry...I just waded through some of the ranting NASA-is-so-much-better-and-I-hate-SCCA-WAH-WAH-WAH-posts)

ulfelder
07-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Has anybody received updates on this event? It truly seems screwed up at MotorsportReg.com. I'm not listed as an entrant, but I've received my email confirmation. Has anybody communicated with the registrar lately? I just emailed her about another issue and don't want to bombard her if she's aware of the problem.

Steve

vicktorvolpe
07-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Steve:

Motorsportsreg is kind of FUBAR at the moment. Don't know why.

I emailed Cheryl Boynton (registrar) yesterday about entering SM2. No answer yet, but I'm pretty sure she's getting bombarded with emails.

If it's any consolation, the event chair (Cheryl Z) is a friend to the miata world (which you are now part of temporarily I guess) so in theory, it will all be ok. If not, well I'll have booze and food in the garage.

-Vick

RHallRacing
07-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Is there a friday test and tune?

tdw6974
07-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Yes Registration opns 6 am

mossaidis
07-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Based on the reg list looks like there's some nice battles brewing in IT, looking good!

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.status/uidEvent/055348AB-095E-BD85-E92A6BC1C27A1836

tdw6974
07-13-2012, 02:58 PM
:024: Good Day Drivers!

It has come to my attention that there have been some issues regarding Registration for the Glen Region July Sprints. We are working on them as they arise, but please send me an e-mail with any comments, questions, or concerns that you may have. We are here for your benefit, and we are doing our best to provide you with a fun weekend!

In the Spirit of the Sport,

Cheryl Zebrowski
Glen Region
Chair, Club Racing Board
Chair, "July Sprints"
Chair, "Last Chance"
Grid Marshal

:)

StephF
07-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Cheryl, are you getting messages from the Motorsportsreg site? If not, what is your email?
Thanks.

gran racing
07-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Steph, Cheryl didn't post that. ;)

Anyone know if Smarty or another tire vendor will be up there after the test day?

kcolbey
07-13-2012, 07:15 PM
You can try her directly at cheryldvm at aol dot com.

StephF
07-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks Kyle. I've been messaging through MSR with no answer.

gran racing
07-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Is the Friday test day definitely being held? Heard a rumor that there might be a conflict for some reason? Hoping that's not accurate but sure would be annoyed getting up there and finding out otherwise.

tdw6974
07-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Is the Friday test day definitely being held? Heard a rumor that there might be a conflict for some reason? Hoping that's not accurate but sure would be annoyed getting up there and finding out otherwise.
Dave, The Test day is a WGI run. Will check out nothing on Glen Region website to indicate otherwise. I am assuming there will be something left after this weekends wine fest:026:. No car yet for us probably just work tech. T Weaver:eclipsee_steering:

vicktorvolpe
07-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Hey all, just spoke with the race chair.

She just wanted to let everyone know that the test day and race weekend are on. WGI will be doing a re-pave after our races, not before.

So come on out!

-Vick

tdw6974
07-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Hey all, just spoke with the race chair.

She just wanted to let everyone know that the test day and race weekend are on. WGI will be doing a re-pave after our races, not before.

So come on out!

-Vick
Amen:happy204: For test day $275.00 cash or credit card only!! Also even if you are not running test day you can register for the event Friday am get into track, set up and then go downtown and float your boat on the lake. Local paper reports 35,000 at wine festival and they had the usual storm Sunday PM!!:024:

Kai Noeske
07-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Had to cancel my ITS entry, car broke this weekend. Hope you all have a blast and good stories to tell after!!! :026:

moto62
07-17-2012, 10:49 PM
I just registered. Nothing like last minute.

CRallo
07-18-2012, 08:24 AM
See you all there! I think...

Ian Prout
07-18-2012, 03:35 PM
I will be out at the Glen, look forward to seeing everyone
- ian

gran racing
07-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Ian on IT.com? What has this world come to. lol See you there bud.

tdw6974
07-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Alas no Car so had to withdraw!

benspeed
07-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Good luck everybody! I hate to miss it but this year is a beach and boat program :-)

BruceG
07-21-2012, 08:03 AM
I will be out at the Glen, look forward to seeing everyone
- ian

The bar just got raised a couple notches....good luck,Ian!:happy204:

Andy Bettencourt
07-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Heard Ian went 2:11.9 in qual. Nice!

ITA must be saving their 'pro' motors for the NARRC Runoffs. :) COME ON GUYS!!!!!!

StephenB
07-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Loss of BMW ITR cars in the 11's yikes, these guys are fast!

kcolbey
07-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Just a quick rundown, of course unofficial because the race just finished:
ITR 40 Prout, 21 Thiele, 18 Maynard
ITS 95 Hainsworth, 66 Estes, 71 Gregory
SM 17 Murcott, 44 Kicera, 31 Farbman
ITA 24 Fredrick, 61 Lawton, 1 Johnson
ITB 15 Noake, 10 S. Funk, 87 Schimdt

Big wreck on the front stretch to start the race. A couple other little things here and there, all in all, good racing!

mossaidis
07-22-2012, 11:20 AM
From Steve Ulfelder on FB (hope you don't mind) "Had a great Pro-IT race - a battle with 4 or 5 other Miatas that never let up. Great stuff, but bookended by unfortunate incidents. On the start, I got into my friend Denise Van Buren, who spun into the wall and was creamed by another car. I feel awful about that. With two laps to go, leader and eventual winner Ian Prout, also a friend, punted me in Watkins Glen's Bus Stop Chicane. That was just one a them racin' deals. No biggie. One sprint race left this afternoon!"

"I shouldn't have said Ian "punted" me. Let's say instead that we made contact - I could have done things differently to avoid contact, but I was in the middle of a hammer-and-tongs shitfight (a 3-car bumpdraft through the Esses)."

StephF
07-22-2012, 08:19 PM
I don't think Denise will be sending Steve any Christmas cards this year.

wepsbee
07-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Also had a great opportunity to see the great handling skills of the BMW's in the Bus Stop. Sarcasm off!!!!!!

JLawton
07-23-2012, 07:22 AM
From Steve Ulfelder on FB (hope you don't mind) "Had a great Pro-IT race - a battle with 4 or 5 other Miatas that never let up. Great stuff, but bookended by unfortunate incidents. On the start, I got into my friend Denise Van Buren, who spun into the wall and was creamed by another car. I feel awful about that. With two laps to go, leader and eventual winner Ian Prout, also a friend, punted me in Watkins Glen's Bus Stop Chicane. That was just one a them racin' deals. No biggie. One sprint race left this afternoon!"

"I shouldn't have said Ian "punted" me. Let's say instead that we made contact - I could have done things differently to avoid contact, but I was in the middle of a hammer-and-tongs shitfight (a 3-car bumpdraft through the Esses)."

I've got great video on my FB page taken from the stands above that didn't catch the initial contact but everything else. Looked like a hard hit...... Dan and Denise certainly have the black cloud following them this year......... :(

gran racing
07-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Marc Ulan's car is pretty F-ed up from the mess as well. He's got some interesting video showing it all go down. A totally laid back guy but know it is less than happy and I totally do not blame him. A bunch of body work, suspension, and other fun stuff. Unfortunate especially on the first lap before the first turn. :rolleyes:

wepsbee
07-23-2012, 08:12 AM
I've got great video on my FB page taken from the stands above that didn't catch the initial contact but everything else. Looked like a hard hit...... Dan and Denise certainly have the black cloud following them this year......... :(

Certainly seems that way. Tough to catch a break this year. On the other hand car was running great with no issues. Times were improving.:shrug:

Andy Bettencourt
07-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Marc Ulan's car is pretty F-ed up from the mess as well. He's got some interesting video showing it all go down. A totally laid back guy but know it is less than happy and I totally do not blame him. A bunch of body work, suspension, and other fun stuff. Unfortunate especially on the first lap before the first turn. :rolleyes:

I hope that gets posted. More angles needed.

Drew M
07-23-2012, 10:20 AM
On the start, I got into my friend Denise Van Buren, who spun into the wall and was creamed by another car. I feel awful about that.

Being not 3ft behind Steve's bumper when this happened, I wouldn't place blame on him. He had a car ~6 inches on either side of him and held straight as he could.
This is only how I remembered it. I wasn't using a camera.

Ian Prout
07-23-2012, 11:00 AM
2 laps to go in the Pro IT race from my BMW. I had a run going into the bus stop and contact was Not intentional, desired nor intended. I spoke to Steve U. post race, and the discussion did not include profanity, nor confrontation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky95MZOHR8U&feature=youtu.be

ner88
07-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Ian...You're that much faster, no one chasing, the leader not in sight and two laps to go, would I make that pass?? not there and not then!

Andy Bettencourt
07-23-2012, 06:47 PM

I hope to see the video you are talking about. Initial review of Steve's video (which we will post) shows him driving straight as an arrow. SO many cars out there that is a tough start. At the National, there was what, EIGHT wide into T1? Yikes.

gran racing
07-23-2012, 07:13 PM
From Marc's in-car (which TOTALLY sucks for him and I'd be super pissed as whomever was an idiot; not saying Steve but someone certainly was): http://vimeo.com/46202528

LOTS of talk from those on the front straight grandstands. Will see if I can get some of the other video online.

vicktorvolpe
07-23-2012, 07:32 PM
wow, that's a shot out of nowhere......and an advertisement for a head restraint seat or nets. Hope he's feeling ok (other than the broken car).

-Vick

Andy Bettencourt
07-23-2012, 07:38 PM
From Marc's in-car (which TOTALLY sucks for him and I'd be super pissed as whomever was an idiot; not saying Steve but someone certainly was): http://vimeo.com/46202528

LOTS of talk from those on the front straight grandstands. Will see if I can get some of the other video online.

OK, I thought from your first post that we would see something that showed how it went down. This doesn't show anything as to the cause. Bummer for all in the end.

Greg Amy
07-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Watch the rear view mirror. Looks like a blue/orange car comes up on Marc's right rear quarter; next thing you see is Denise's car turning left in front of Marc.

My guess is the blue/orange car nosed in between Marc to the left and Denise to the right, tagged Denise in the left rear quarter, turning her left across both cars and into the left wall. And/or, the blue/orange car inserted himself into momentary adequate space but Denise was not aware and came across him, spinning her off to the left. And/or Denise got pushed over into the blue/orange, same result.

GA

Andy Bettencourt
07-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Watch the rear view mirror. Looks like a blue/orange car comes up on Marc's right rear quarter; next thing you see is Denise's car turning left in front of Marc.

My guess is the blue/orange car nosed in between Marc to the left and Denise to the right, tagged Denise in the left rear quarter, turning her left across both cars and into the left wall. And/or, the blue/orange car inserted himself into momentary adequate space but Denise was not aware and came across him, spinning her off to the left. And/or Denise got pushed over into the blue/orange, same result.

GA

Good observation on the blue/orange - which I am sure was Steve. His video will be up soon as we get it uploaded...

StephenB
07-23-2012, 11:54 PM
ya that would have pissed me off as well. feel bad for Mark for sure!

I was watching the qualifying with my daughter who was facinated with his nephew (I think that was the relation) Anyway Ashlyn and him were playing and he got stung by a bee... tough weekend for Mark and his family for sure!

Stephen

Terry Hanushek
07-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Greg

I talked with Denise and looked at her car in the paddock after the race. There was a definite black spot on the left rear in front of the rear wheel. She said that was the initial contact which turned her car (and drove her into the wall). I understand that this was basically confirmed in a conversation that she had with Steve.

Terry

ulfelder
07-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Greg

I talked with Denise and looked at her car in the paddock after the race. There was a definite black spot on the left rear in front of the rear wheel. She said that was the initial contact which turned her car (and drove her into the wall). I understand that this was basically confirmed in a conversation that she had with Steve.

Terry

It's correct that I'm the blue/orange car. Greg's analysis of Marc's vid is also spot on. And yes, I had a conversation with Denise in which I apologized - and said I felt like I was just holding a straight line. She said I got into her. I accepted that version and reiterated my apology.

But then a fellow competitor said HE thought I was just driving straight, and the guys at the shop say that's what my vid shows (I haven't yet seen it myself, but will today). So in my mind now, Greg's 3 possibilities still exist: 1) I moved right and touched Denise; 2) she moved left of her own volition and touched me; 3) she was forced left and touched me.

Here's the lesson for me: watch as much video as possible before assigning or accepting blame. It's common sense.

Note that regardless of who moved where when, I DO feel rotten for my fellow competitors.

gran racing
07-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Video is key. I know it's saved my butt from other competitors before.

gizmo83
07-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Well....Can't let you all decide my fate without saying something! We have watched all videos posted and my own ( about a million times). Unfortunately I do not know how to upload my video but have an idea and will try when time permits. My video doesn't show much as I told Steve, because contact was in the rear left and my camera was pointed to the right, obviously front! The thing it does show is my right wheels on a seam in the track without waiver until you hear a hit and then the spin. Still doesn't prove anything, but I also feel I was holding straight. It does take out the possibility listed that I was pushed from the right. There was plenty of room between me and the car on my right, no contact there. The video from the stands probably would have been the best view but the incident happened slightly after the picture was panned left. I am extremely disappointed obviously, but hope I can get the car fixed and race again another day! I have the utmost respect for Steve as a driver and friend but also feel I held my line.

StephF
07-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Just glad it wasn't worse for you Denise. I watched Ulan's in car. You took a hell of a hit on the guard rail. I bet you are feeling it today. Here's hoping you get it back on track quickly!

wepsbee
07-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Ian...You're that much faster, no one chasing, the leader not in sight and two laps to go, would I make that pass?? not there and not then!

Same type of issue happened to Dick and myself in the practice/qual on Sat in the bus stop. We were on the rumble strips with drivers left tires when we were passed on the LEFT by a BMW going very fast. I thought he bounced off Dick but he actually did not but it was that close. To be honest I was not looking to be passed there but I think that was a bit uncalled for in a practice/qual session against 2 lower classed cars. Could have caused a huge wreck for no real gain. Not really sure which BMW it was.

gran racing
07-28-2012, 09:24 AM
My wonderful spin and getting to watch cars go passing by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA3-aMCeFHM

1stgen
07-28-2012, 11:20 AM
I would just like to say regardless of what's going on in the pro IT group it weds to change. This season alone you guys have destroyed many cars during a start or the first couple of laps. They are 45 minute races and you guys don't give your selves enough room to race; especially going into the first turn. I watch every pro IT race cuz I'm stick with big bore and quite frankly wouldnt bring my ITE car to run with you guys because I love my car. Just sayin...give each other more racing room so that all the cars have a chance to finish the race.

vicktorvolpe
07-28-2012, 11:31 AM
nice video for sure.

Put your visor down! At least as an example for the young folks! Sorry for the exclamation points but I took a piece of rubber in the left eye at NJMP this year. The following thoughts crossed my mind:

1. Crap, I can't see out of my left eye. This will make the chicane more interesting.
2. I'm going to look really stupid in impound with a closed and runny eye
3. My wife is going to go ape when she finds out I got hurt in my race car.

Luckily all was relatively ok by the time I hit impound, but it was a lesson.

StephF
07-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Absolutely! My first ever race, the five lap practice one you do in the school, was at Summit Point. Big field, chaos heading into one. Took a huge chunk of rubber right on my left cheekbone when I was the meat in a three car sandwich. Lesson learned. Stung like a mother.

Tkczecheredflag
07-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Great in car of the #11 ITA CPM Motorsports Integra from Steve Frederick's #24 ITA Miata - The in car picks me up right after the wreck. Steve is an awesome driver and great competitor - I look forward to racing him again soon. I almost blow the race on the last lap. Thanks for the vid Steve. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN2Dlb-I_p8

Raceman77
07-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Dan i actually have the video of that. Being right behind you. Yes it was uncalled for. you do not win a race in a qualifying session.

wepsbee
07-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Dan i actually have the video of that. Being right behind you. Yes it was uncalled for. you do not win a race in a qualifying session.//

JB, I would be VERY interested in seeing that video. Any chance of a post or sending it to me.
Thanks

vicktorvolpe
07-31-2012, 06:53 AM
Wow, apparently it took me a 10 minute video to catch most of the action from my sm2 qualifying race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R5PScFXee4&list=UU6-Wpr0PYvfUdC8l_L6IhWg&index=1&feature=plcp

Even though I couldn't make a move that would stick, I'm glad they let the last lap go green.

-Vick

wepsbee
08-02-2012, 09:04 AM
//

JB, I would be VERY interested in seeing that video. Any chance of a post or sending it to me.
Thanks
Saw the video and realized my initial description was wrong , it was drivers right on the stripes not drivers left, result was the same, kinda crazy for a practice run I thought.
Thanks JB for the video.

rthiele
08-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Could you share it? Would be good for everyone to watch and learn. Hope it wasn't me :blink:

wepsbee
08-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Could you share it? Would be good for everyone to watch and learn. Hope it wasn't me :blink:

Sorry, It is on JB Swan's facebook page. I would also really appreciate other viewpoints as maybe I am too critical of the move and is really a correct passing manuever.

gran racing
08-02-2012, 02:11 PM
you do not win a race in a qualifying session.

Okay, fine, I'll bite. It was a very short qualifying session with what, three hot laps? Saturday's race was also pretty darn short; Sundays not much longer. Sometimes if a car gets behind a slower car in certain sections of the track it can nullify that lap. It would be interesting to see the video and determine if Dan might have positioned the car in a way the faster vehicle thought he was being allowed through.

I do agree that passing in that location is pretty aggressive and I don't think I'd try it during qualifying. (During my race I did attempt a pass in that location but it didn't pan out because I thought he opened the door for me, I realized he didn't see me and I went into the dirt.)

Raceman77
08-02-2012, 02:23 PM
i tried to upload the video. i need a little help doing it cause it did not work. i think the car was ian prout. of course he went by me like i was standing still. that was about 100 foot marker. i was totally surprised he through it in there next to dan. and then to throw it in there on dick. one problem i do see is that maybe the ITR cars should not have been in with the ITA cars. There was only 10 cars in big bore. maybe they should have been put there. I also had a itr car bonzi me in the race. I saw him coming into the turn onto front straight which was fine. was going to point him by. but when i went to he is now outside drivers side. i had no clew he was there. to boot he had no pressure from behind and the leaders were pretty far ahead of him. but all in all my first time there was fantastic. deffinatly find me there again.

CRallo
08-03-2012, 10:41 AM
damnit I need to get out there!!!!! These trackdays just don't do it for me...

It's correct that I'm the blue/orange car. Greg's analysis of Marc's vid is also spot on. And yes, I had a conversation with Denise in which I apologized - and said I felt like I was just holding a straight line. She said I got into her. I accepted that version and reiterated my apology.

But then a fellow competitor said HE thought I was just driving straight, and the guys at the shop say that's what my vid shows (I haven't yet seen it myself, but will today). So in my mind now, Greg's 3 possibilities still exist: 1) I moved right and touched Denise; 2) she moved left of her own volition and touched me; 3) she was forced left and touched me.

Here's the lesson for me: watch as much video as possible before assigning or accepting blame. It's common sense.

Note that regardless of who moved where when, I DO feel rotten for my fellow competitors.

Great post Steve!

My wonderful spin and getting to watch cars go passing by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA3-aMCeFHM

Good recovery Dave, great drive!

Andy Bettencourt
08-05-2012, 08:26 PM

So I have no idea what the status is of getting Steve's video up but I would love to see Denise's to compare. I think this was a case of two straight lines that were not 100% parallel converging at a bad time. Steve is parallel to the car on his left, so much so that his drivers side mirror folded in because they were so close... Denise held her line as she ran down a seem in the track. Was the seem straight? Were Mark and Steve parallel with the track? Was there room to Denise's right? Two more video's to examine for all...hope they get up here soon.