PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Civic Si Front Sway Bar

backformore
06-30-2012, 03:27 PM
A little help here. I've read so many different threads about so many different things, I can't remember what's real or even consensus.

I am sure that I read an opinion that disconnecting the front sway bar on a particular Honda/Acura (think it was an Integra) would lead to damaged axles. Of course, with the variety of Honda/Acura suspension designs, I can't recall if it would apply to the Double A-Arm 2000 Civic Si.

Can someone please clarify this for me. The general consensus on Honda/Acura setup is no front bar, but I would hate to have one of the exceptions that leads to broken parts.

Thanks,
Rory

Greg Amy
06-30-2012, 05:14 PM
I have never run a front bar on the 1995 Acura Integra. No axle probs.

Bob Roth
07-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Having a civic si bar on my teg, what's the wisdom of disconnecting it? Are you thinking about compensating with more front spring?

Greg Amy
07-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Keeping the front paws on the ground, working to maximize rear roll weight transfer.

mossaidis
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Keeping the front paws on the ground, working to maximize rear roll weight transfer.

^ true. I also do not use a front bar on my EG with no axle problems plus I don't cook my front tires as quickly... It takes only a little to get used to and once you make the change, there's no going back.

EH9racing
07-03-2012, 09:57 AM
The Si sway bar is a REALLY thick front bar, its 26mm. If you are concerned with completely removing your sway bar you could install a 22mm front sway bar (%50 less tiff than the Si bar) from the 96-00 EX\LX Civic. If you like where that takes you than remove the bar altogether. I'll have to warn you though, you will have to do some work to get the EX/LX links to work. The Si and the EX/LX use different link types and the lower control arm sway bar link mounts are different.

Bob Roth
07-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Greg/Mossaidis - What would you sat the difference being without a bar? Better rotation? Back end steps out easier? If you did this, would you compensate with stiffer front springs?

Greg Amy
07-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Greg/Mossaidis - What would you sat the difference being without a bar? Better rotation? Back end steps out easier? If you did this, would you compensate with stiffer front springs?
Bob, I noticed that with a front bar I had snappier turn-in but it hurt the car on mid-corner balance and corner-out grip. I compensate for that with a tad more front compression on the shocks. This way I get the benefits on corner entry but none of the downsides mid and exit. - GA

Bob Roth
07-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Sounds pretty reasonable, I'll give it a shot....I run about a 16th out front, straight in the rear. How about you?

backformore
07-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Greg, I am sure this was implied, but you know about assuming. That year Teg is the double A arm, yes?

Thanks for all the info everyone. I thought about a smaller bar but I would like to lose the weight if possible. Also, the car is currently without an LSD so lots of front roll stiffness may not be my friend.

Once I get the shocks/springs on it I will remove the front bar and learn to tune and drive it that way.

Rory

Greg Amy
07-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Bob, that sounds pretty close, about a 16th out in front and maybe a scooch out in the rear? I'm running sphericals up front.

Rory, the Teg is double a-arms.