PDA

View Full Version : Help !!

racingralph
06-11-2012, 08:53 PM
hey guys ! i'm looking for info on a toyota (i'm told) alternator with a built-in vac pump (pollution pump) on the back ! i was told it will work well on our drag car. what car or truck did it come on ? thanks ralph.

racingralph
06-17-2012, 08:58 AM
WOW ! hard to believe that no one has the info that i'm looking for or to let me know if my info was correct.

Ron Earp
06-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Hey Ralph,

I don't know the answer but I think I know someone that does. Maybe contact Rex at Happy Japs:

http://www.happyjaps.com/staff/

Rex has been working on Jap cars for 30+ years and would probably know about that alternator. He's also the NCR SCCA RE so you probably know him already.

R

jhooten
06-17-2012, 10:15 AM
The only reference I have found on any of the toyota forums I looked at is this:
"I have a landcruiser, HJ60, 2H diesel, 5 speed, great vehicle. A couple years ago while traveling around I needed to have the alternator replaced with a newbie, all great. These alternators if you weren't aware of have a vacuum pump mounted at the back thats driven by the alternator shaft. "

racingralph
06-17-2012, 12:05 PM
thanks jerry , we plan on hooking up the "vac" side to engine breathers to pull out pressure ,since we already run with alternater we were thinking this should work ? as you know most racers looking for a edge ? even bracket drag racers ! what year , was it only on diesel ? thanks again for your help ! ralph

jhooten
06-17-2012, 08:18 PM
From what i can find it was only on the diesel in the 80s to early 90s. I'm pretty much out of the Toyota community since I lost all the Toyotas last September and most of my contacts seem to be out dated. My main parts expert no longer works at the dealership and has not been to an event for a long time. If I find out anything better I'll pass it on.

racingralph
06-17-2012, 09:03 PM
thanks again jerry ! ron , i forgot bout rex i'll call him this week , thanks , ralph

Davegt74
06-23-2012, 06:55 PM
I don’t know either maybe try club4ag or MR2OC.com
My MR2 came with an elect powered vacuum pump that was used for the cruise control

davegt74

racingralph
07-04-2012, 12:15 PM
thanks again guys , the alternator shop we use at/for work has one , but without the vac pump . it is a large alternator but i think it should work well on the drag car when/if i find a "whole" one ! ralph

dspillrat
07-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi Ralph,
80-83 diesel maximas had a vac pump on altenater as well.....I have one in my shed if you want it.....Scrap metal price plus shipping...... Cleaning up/out the shop.

David Spillman
828-two eight nine 0098