PDA

View Full Version : Replace after wreck??

wepsbee
06-03-2012, 09:31 AM
I tried to find something in the GCR about replacing safety gear after a wreck.
I of course cannot!! Do we have to replace belts or any other safety gear after
a wreck??? Helmet did not impact anything so I assume that is OK.

Greg Amy
06-03-2012, 10:08 AM
No requirements. Use your judgement and common sense.

I'm sure your logbook was written up after the wreck, so if you choose to re-use the cage (and thus the logbook), you'll need to have the car inspected and the logbook signed-off for proper "repair" of that crash damage.

GA

wepsbee
06-03-2012, 10:36 AM
The cage seems to be fine. The damage was all front with the pivot point right at the fire wall, ( front attach points of cage ). Roof pushed up at the same spot as he front halo bar. I will be reusing the cage but the harness I am not so sure about. The harness was most likely stretched pretty far as my slight chest injuries attest to and
I am concerned about that. In the FD we cannot reuse a Life safety rope again after it has been used in an event due to stretching and how it could break if reused.
Well I guess I answered my own question:rolleyes: Cage Ok, harness replace.
BTW I am a believer in the Hans and a full containment seat.

mossaidis
06-03-2012, 10:37 AM
I thought belts stretched as much as 6-8" during a full speed head on crash. If so, you would need to replace them.

wepsbee
06-03-2012, 10:41 AM
I thought belts stretched as much as 6-8" during a full speed head on crash. If so, you would need to replace them.

Mickey,
I would have to agree as I crushed the steering wheel on the left side due to the dash coming towards me and me going towards it. I think having an aluminum steering wheel was a big factor in minimizing chest damage. It bent alot where a steel one would not have.

StephenB
06-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Yikes! Glad your ok!

Stephen

raffaelli
06-03-2012, 01:39 PM
My reaction is if you have to ask, just do it. Piece of mind goes a long way.

Get new belts and thethers on your hans.

seckerich
06-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Mickey,
I would have to agree as I crushed the steering wheel on the left side due to the dash coming towards me and me going towards it. I think having an aluminum steering wheel was a big factor in minimizing chest damage. It bent alot where a steel one would not have.

Throw the belts away and inspect everything in the seat monuting system as well .Toss all mounting bolts for the seat. If you moved that far, how far behind you were your belts mounted? If you keep the cage make sure it did not twist and crack some of the welds on top. Glad you were OK. :023:

DoubleXL240Z
06-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Throw the belts away and inspect everything in the seat monuting system as well .Toss all mounting bolts for the seat. If you moved that far, how far behind you were your belts mounted? If you keep the cage make sure it did not twist and crack some of the welds on top. Glad you were OK. :023:
Depending on the brand of belts, they could be sent back for a re-web. Save some money!!:shrug:

PDoane
06-04-2012, 10:29 AM
After a big front end crash of the BMW that Nick DiMeo and I built for Grand Am Cup (Koni Challenge at the time), Grand Am made us remove and give them the harness and seat

Dave Gomberg
06-04-2012, 04:34 PM
The advice you've gotten on the belts is sound, even though there is no explicit GCR. Likewise on the HANS tethers.

You haven't mentioned whether your helmet took a hit. If it did, GCR 9.3.20.C.2 includes this: "Accident damaged helmets should be sent by the driver or his or her representative to the Snell Memorial Foundation, 3628 Madison Ave., North Highland, CA. 95660 (ph) 916-331-5073 (attn. Edward B. Becker). Details of the accident should be included."

Even if there is no apparent damage to the outer shell, the interior force absorbing materials may be compromised (think of styrofoam being compressed - it doesn't resume its original shape or function).

Dave

Chip42
06-04-2012, 04:56 PM
^^^ not to mention possible damage around the hans posts. good advice in here.