PDA

View Full Version : Coilover Preferences

backformore
06-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Did a search but no joy. What are people's preferences or what are you using for coilovers?

Planning on Koni shocks.

Looks like the two obvious choices are GC or Koni sleeves. Opinions?

Thanks
Rory

PS It's for a 2000 Si.

Chip42
06-03-2012, 08:06 AM
those are the 2 go to options for me. really very little substantive difference between them. Koni might save you a few minutes by placing a single order (assuming you are buying the shocks at the same time) and sometimes GC's indicated spring rates are in metric, but other than that slight bit of confusion they are great to work with.

darthmonkeyIT
06-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Last year I had to replace my front shocks and needed dedicated coil overs since the previous shocks had them built in. From the previous owner I already had a few pairs of springs and didn't really need a coil over kit.

I ended up buying two sleeves and Koni mounting bracket from Skunk2 racing. Like GC they sell full up kits but unlike GC they sell replacement parts or piece parts of their kits. Not needing springs and only needing coil overs for the fronts saved me lots.

Lasy year was my first season though and spending wisely was the entire object. If I was building a new car and wanted a good dependable system I would go with GC. I called Koni and asked them about the coil overs they have. I was recommended at the spring rates and being for racing that I buy a kit from GC rather than the Koni coil overs. And I didn't even mention GC to the Koni rep so. :shrug:

jmracer17
06-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I have the Koni shocks with the GC coilover sleeves. Seems to work great.

ShelbyRacer
06-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I too use GC sleeves. Once when I asked a while back, GC told me they would sell me replacement parts individually if needed. Probably doesn't apply to getting new sleeves for a different car, but is nice to know if you'd need to replace parts due to someone's indiscretions...

backformore
06-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks all. I had pretty well decided on GC and this seals it. Thanks.

JS154
06-06-2012, 11:24 PM
I have had good results and success with AST suspension

www.ast-usa.com (http://www.ast-usa.com)