PDA

View Full Version : Cage removal and install

wepsbee
05-28-2012, 12:22 PM
I would like to remove the cage from my current car and install in another. I have heard about the cutting off of the roof and install method which is time consuming.
I have also heard about the cut and sleeve method. I have checked the GCR and
can find no mention whether this is legal or not. Does anyone have this onfo?

Greg Amy
05-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Main hoop must be "continuous" (one tube) so cannot be sleeved. However pretty much any other tube can be segmented and sleeved, and those sleeves can be welded or bolted. See GCR 9.4.G.7 (p111 June GCR) for details.

Contact Matt, see what he says will be the most economical solution.

GA

TomL
05-28-2012, 01:55 PM
I have done it on a few cars. Depending on the configuration of the cage and the door opening, the easiest method is to cut all the forward bars immediately in front of the main hoop and take the cage out in two pieces. Then you grind the excess off the main hoop, re-notch the forward tubes, and weld it all back together. My 200SX is one its third tub this way - the cage is just 1.5 inches shorter front to back :). If the door opening isn't big enough to allow this method, you can cut the forward tubes closer to the middle and sleeve them, or alternatively cut out the problem tubes entirely and replace them. I've done it all three ways, and never had a problem with tech on any of them.

wepsbee
05-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Main hoop must be "continuous" (one tube) so cannot be sleeved. However pretty much any other tube can be segmented and sleeved, and those sleeves can be welded or bolted. See GCR 9.4.G.7 (p111 June GCR) for details.

Contact Matt, see what he says will be the most economical solution.

GA

I have done it on a few cars. Depending on the configuration of the cage and the door opening, the easiest method is to cut all the forward bars immediately in front of the main hoop and take the cage out in two pieces. Then you grind the excess off the main hoop, re-notch the forward tubes, and weld it all back together. My 200SX is one its third tub this way - the cage is just 1.5 inches shorter front to back :). If the door opening isn't big enough to allow this method, you can cut the forward tubes closer to the middle and sleeve them, or alternatively cut out the problem tubes entirely and replace them. I've done it all three ways, and never had a problem with tech on any of them.

great info Thanks

StephenB
05-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Dan, Let me know who you have doing it and a ball park price. I have a car I need to do that with and I am in the New England area.

Stephen