PDA

View Full Version : 2012 I.T.SPEC*tacular ( I.T.FEST) registration now open

TAC
05-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Hi everyone,

Online registration for the 2012 edition of the I.T.SPEC*tacular featuring the I.T.National Tour is now open at www.motorsportreg.com or go directly to the registration page http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...6BD8413EC84666 (http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/C123FB9F-D0F1-852C-FF6BD8413EC84666)

Events include PDX, Club Trial, and of course Road Racing. Mid Ohio will be hosting the Twilight test and tune on Friday evening and Teen Defensive Driver Schools.

This years event is open to the general public so spread the word among your friends. Tickets are $10 per person and are good from the hours of 8 am- 5pm each day. Mid Ohio will be selling the tickets at gate 3.

Race Groups are as follows

1) F2000
2) F1600
3) ITA, IT7, ITC
4) SRF, EP, FP, HP, GTL
5) SM, STL, STU
6) FA, FB, FE, FM, S2000, ASR, DSR, CSR
7) ITE, ITR, ITS, ITB
8) Club Trial ( Saturday only)

Race Entry fee is $299 for 2 days, additional class is $125
$245 for 1 day, additonal class is $60
$330 for 2 drivers sharing 1 car over two days.

Best Regards,

Todd Cholmondeley
Race Chairman
Cincinnati Region SCCA

StephenB
05-28-2012, 06:52 AM
I am amazed at how you guys are doing such a great job keeping entry fees low.

keep up the great work!

924Guy
05-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Seriously, ITB in with ITE and ITR?? Speed diff is pretty rough with ITR, and will be worse??

We run with ITE (C4s, C5s, and C6s) in open practice at Waterford all the time. If I'm driving my 924 at speed - it's pretty interesting. I can't see things being better in true race conditions at a fast track...

Shouldn't they be in Group 3????

TAC
05-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks! I'd take personal responsibility but that would be wrong. :rolleyes:

These are the sponsors and pro/ amature racing series's that help keep that entry fee low. ( And yes I'm a slacker for not mentioning them before!)

Performance Alignment ( Thanks S2000 driver Bill Braucksick)
Continental Motorsports ( with a shop at the track in the middle paddock at Mid Ohio)
Jeff Loewe Photo ( You will find Jeff in Garage #1 at Mid Ohio for the race weekend)
Race Keeper ( Thanks ITA driver # 34 Bill Stevens!)

I.T. National Tour presented by Cool Shirt Systems ( Thanks Bruce Baker!!!)
SCCA Pro F2000 Championship
SCCA Pro F1600 Formula F Championship

ITA_honda
05-28-2012, 08:16 AM
I agree, great work with keeping the entry fees low! The drivers will appreciate it! Unfortunatly Im racing in a national that same weekend, but will keep all of you in my thoughts! Always a good event!:D

TAC
05-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Seriously, ITB in with ITE and ITR?? Speed diff is pretty rough with ITR, and will be worse??

We run with ITE (C4s, C5s, and C6s) in open practice at Waterford all the time. If I'm driving my 924 at speed - it's pretty interesting. I can't see things being better in true race conditions at a fast track...

Shouldn't they be in Group 3????

Now don't panic Vaughn! As you know we tend to shift things around if it looks like things are going to be out of whack. So hang on and lets see what happens.

Todd

Greg Amy
05-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Too bad you're running SM with STL; you're missing out on a great opportunity for double-dippers (at ITA's great expense of potential SM conflicts). but I can't really offer any constructive options.

FF2000 and FF1600 separate groups? Is this some kinda festival for them, too? Are they that close in speeds -- or large in numbers -- that there would be conflict?

Wish I could join you guys this year, it has been far too long since the last one. I'll be back soon enough. - GA

On edit: actually, here's my suggestion. Swap groups 3 and 4 so that ITA and SM are back-to-back, discouraging SM competitors from double-dipping in ITA (after all, it's a festival for ITA, not SM, right?) Then move STL to the small-bore Prod and GTL group, giving SM'ers some place to play if they choose to double-dip.

3) SRF, EP, FP, HP, GTL, STL
4) ITA, IT7, ITC
5) SM, STU

TAC
05-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Too bad you're running SM with STL; you're missing out on a great opportunity for double-dippers (at ITA's great expense of potential SM conflicts). but I can't really offer any constructive options.

FF2000 and FF1600 separate groups? Is this some kinda festival for them, too? Are they that close in speeds -- or large in numbers -- that there would be conflict?

Wish I could join you guys this year, it has been far too long since the last one. I'll be back soon enough. - GA

Hi Greg,

Good to hear from you, and yes its been way to long. The F2000 and F1600 are pro groups and are giving us a donation to be there. Thus the lower entry fee for the club guys. And yes its made things a bit of a squeeze with pressure from my end (region) to run a club based formula group also. But as I mentioned to Vaughn we will watch and adjust groups if it becomes necessary to do so. We did review entries from the past few years before deciding on how to group things. With the economy stills struggling I don't think we will see any big surprises, drivers are still sticking to home and choosing fewer races to attend.

924Guy
05-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Now don't panic Vaughn! As you know we tend to shift things around if it looks like things are going to be out of whack. So hang on and lets see what happens.

Todd

Good to hear, thanks. I know there's no way Merritt will even be likely to sign up if that's the grouping. It's enough managing ITR/ITS traffic... but if the ITB record holder wouldn't even go out there and mess with that situation, I don't think there'll be much interest from the slow guys either. ;)

TAC
05-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Well when you figure we had 0 ITR entries in 2011 and the ITE field was mostly comprised of what would be considered vintage cars. Heck the top three ITB cars ( Tristan, Scott and Kirk) were faster by 2 seconds than three out of the five ITE entries last year. :o

Merritt might have to complain about being blocked while she's lapping them. :p

Again in all seriousness. We will see who and what enters, and adjust accordingly.

Todd

TimM ITB
06-14-2012, 06:14 PM
is there any kind of "test day" on Friday. having only been to the track once before, it may be a good idea.........then again???

jumbojimbo
06-14-2012, 07:23 PM
is there any kind of "test day" on Friday. having only been to the track once before, it may be a good idea.........then again???

Cincy region pdx on friday during the day.
Mid-ohio twilight test session in the evening.

TAC
06-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Tim,

Yes we have the PDX on Friday for $210 or if you feel comfortable instructing you could sign up to help a newbie and drive your car in the advanced/instructor group for $50. The other option is the Mid Ohio evening test & tune. Its $150 if paid in advance or $195 at the track. Read below on how to contact our Chief instructor......

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd put a plug in for our latest sponsor Holliday Canopies. This will be Wes Holliday's 30th year of racing. You can check out his new logo on this years I.T SPEC*tacular t-shirt.

So far we have 15 I.T. entries out of a total of 34 participants. Another 18 folks are driving in the Friday PDX. We need instructors for a growing Novice class again this year so if you feel like giving back some of your time we would appreciate it. Its an all day commitment but in return you can run your car in the advanced/instructor group for $50. Contact Bill Niemeyer Jr. at [email protected] if interested.

Best Regards,

Todd

TAC
07-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Happy 4th everyone,

We now have 61 total entries for the race weekend July 27th-29th. I.T. totals are as follows.

IT7 1
ITA 5
ITB 5
ITC 7
ITE 2
ITR 1
ITS 6

States represented by I.T. racers are Indiana, New Jersey, New York, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Vermont and West Virginia. So consider joining the fun. It looks to be a great weekend of racing.

Best Regards,

Todd

jumbojimbo
07-05-2012, 01:12 PM
ITC: 7

Not yet registered: Carl, Ryan, two newbie-Toms and one newbie-Bob, that makes 12+ expected. Need to get Ruck to rent his car out.

dhardison
07-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Todd,

My car needs an annual tech prior to running this event. Will someone be available Friday afternoon/evening for an annual inspection?

Dan

ITA_honda
07-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Todd,

My car needs an annual tech prior to running this event. Will someone be available Friday afternoon/evening for an annual inspection?

Dan

This doesnt have to do with that door now...does it?:p

TAC
07-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Todd,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yes we will have someone available. Gordon Benson is our chief of tech. You may want to e-mail him at [email protected] .

Todd

dhardison
07-05-2012, 06:30 PM
This doesnt have to do with that door now...does it?:p
Nah, that'll buff right out. :blink:

Hi Dan,

Yes we will have someone available. Gordon Benson is our chief of tech. You may want to e-mail him at [email protected] .

Todd
Thanks Todd. :)

TAC
07-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Your very welcome Dan.

TimM ITB
07-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Thx for the info on the PDF and instructor info.
That being said, I can't find any info on the evening test and tune......what time does it start, how many laps or how much time does it last, are there run groups or all groups on course at same time, etc

dhardison
07-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Thx for the info on the PDF and instructor info.
That being said, I can't find any info on the evening test and tune......what time does it start, how many laps or how much time does it last, are there run groups or all groups on course at same time, etc

The Mid-Ohio school sponsors the twilight test-n-tune sessions. Here's the link:

http://www.midohio.com/Store/School-Courses/Racing-Programs/Open-Testing---Tuning/07-27-12-Open-Test-Tuning-SCCA-Twilight

TimM ITB
07-06-2012, 12:31 PM
OUTSTANDING! Thanks for the help - that is exactly what I was looking for.

dhardison
07-06-2012, 12:55 PM
OUTSTANDING! Thanks for the help - that is exactly what I was looking for. Anytime. The more B-cars the better! :023:

Knestis
07-06-2012, 02:52 PM
C'mon down, Tim, but you DO want to do the test - particularly if you haven't been to Mid O before. I trusted video for my first visit in 2008 - a *very* bad decision. The track is narrower and tighter than you can know without seeing it in person, and there are a couple of key spots where it's easy to leave a LOT on the table if you don't have time to learn it. The Festival format is a killer too. If you get behind the 8-ball early on, it's hell to make up spots.

K

RacerBill
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Tim's been here before, but it's been a couple of years! Sorry, Tim - I will not be bringing up the Charger to run in B. Got a new set of wheels - Jeff Lawton's Saturn. Had a blast with it in June. See you at the track! You too, Kirk!

RacerBill
07-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Quick question: I see that group 3 is going to have split starts all weekend. What is going to be the split?

jumbojimbo
07-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Quick question: I see that group 3 is going to have split starts all weekend. What is going to be the split?

I'm having trouble thinknig of a way it wouldn't be ITA/7 and ITC. But I had a lot of tequila tonight so maybe someone else has a better idea?

darthmonkeyIT
07-11-2012, 12:22 PM
2nd year ITA newbie representing! I will be there in my CRX assuming no major problems between now and then.

Just ordered some Hankook Z214 C51's to replace one consumed pair of Nitto NT01's. The Nitto's have been great to learn on but I am interested to see how much dumber I can get with more grip.

:eclipsee_steering:..."Will it hold...I think it will hold...Ya it will hold...nope I was wrong." :rolleyes:

jumbojimbo
07-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Just ordered some Kuhmo Z214 C51's to replace one consumed pair of Nitto NT01's. :rolleyes:

You mean Hankooks? I think you'll be happy with the hankooks. but I hope you're not planning to run Hankooks on the front and Nitto on the back? so far the feedback mixing Hankooks front and Hoosiers rear has been "cheese and rice that was scary". followed by putting hankooks on the back.

darthmonkeyIT
07-11-2012, 03:11 PM
You mean Hankooks? I think you'll be happy with the hankooks. but I hope you're not planning to run Hankooks on the front and Nitto on the back? so far the feedback mixing Hankooks front and Hoosiers rear has been "cheese and rice that was scary". followed by putting hankooks on the back.

Correct I meant Hankook. Dunno why I was thinking Kuhmo's for some reason.

No I bought a set of 4 of the Hankook's. I have 4 Nitto NT01's that are still usable and a pair of Nitto's that are just about done (The tread wear lines are just about to disappear). I will be running the 4 nitto's together or the 4 hankook's together. If I like the Hankook's I will be ordering another set for next season.

Knestis
07-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Anyone know if there's a camping fee (like in a tow vehicle motor home) and if so, how much?
Thanks
K

preparedcivic
07-11-2012, 10:57 PM
And while we are asking questions, will Hoosier Tire Midwest be on-site?

dhardison
07-12-2012, 07:13 AM
Anyone know if there's a camping fee (like in a tow vehicle motor home) and if so, how much?
Thanks
K
RTFS! :D

4. Camping will be permitted on Thursday through Saturday nights only. The camping area is limited to the paddock. . Motor home, 5-wheels and camper trailers and other “self contained units” will be assessed a $30 weekend camping fee by Mid Ohio. This does not include volunteer workers. All other forms of camping are free.

R2 Racing
07-12-2012, 12:43 PM
If there was ever a year that I could actually, just maybe win ITA.....can't make it this year though.

10 ITC cars already? That would've been fun.

StephenB
07-13-2012, 02:48 AM
crap am I reading this correctly? Is this really only $330 total for 2 drivers? If it is I think I am taking my Audi and my brother with me!

"$330 ( two drivers, one car both days)"

Stephen

StephenB
07-13-2012, 02:50 AM
on second thought how do I double up? No other class that an ITB car can run in :(

Stephen

StephenB
07-13-2012, 02:52 AM
one more question... do we run the chicane into the keyhole?

Stephen

dhardison
07-13-2012, 07:04 AM
on second thought how do I double up? No other class that an ITB car can run in :( Stephen

You could possibly run the ITB Audi in STL or STU (Group 5)

one more question... do we run the chicane into the keyhole? Stephen

(From the Supps) "The Club Course configuration will be used throughout the weekend." So yes, the chicane will be used.

jumbojimbo
07-13-2012, 08:00 AM
You could possibly run the ITB Audi in STL or STU (Group 5)

(From the Supps) "The Club Course configuration will be used throughout the weekend." So yes, the chicane will be used.

Unless the F2000 cars are running the pro course, in which case group 3 might accidently qualify on the short course.

jumbojimbo
07-13-2012, 08:13 AM
on second thought how do I double up? No other class that an ITB car can run in :(

Stephen

So you are thinking of running Sat ITB-Stephen STL-Bro and Sun ITB-Bro STL-Stephen?

Kind of a weird situation. you're not running two classes in one day so the $60 second class charge wouldn't apply. I guess you'd pay $330x2. One for ITB-Stephen-Bro and the other for STL-Bro-Stephen? It seems like they should waive the extra charge since you're running two cars two days two drivers and just charge you $299x2.

You're only problem is going to be grid spot for the Sun morning race, since you each won't have a finishing position in class from the Sat afternoon race. I guess you start from the back?

Knestis
07-13-2012, 09:53 AM
I don't care how you work it out, just doo eet. :)

K

preparedcivic
07-13-2012, 10:18 AM

Stephen

As Dan says, check if the Audi can run STL. That's what I'm doing with the kid in the car for ITB. Worst case would be STU.

StephenB
07-13-2012, 10:31 AM
So you are thinking of running Sat ITB-Stephen STL-Bro and Sun ITB-Bro STL-Stephen?

Kind of a weird situation. you're not running two classes in one day so the $60 second class charge wouldn't apply. I guess you'd pay $330x2. One for ITB-Stephen-Bro and the other for STL-Bro-Stephen? It seems like they should waive the extra charge since you're running two cars two days two drivers and just charge you $299x2.

You're only problem is going to be grid spot for the Sun morning race, since you each won't have a finishing position in class from the Sat afternoon race. I guess you start from the back?

I was thinking more like this...
Stephen Saturday and Sunday in ITB
Raymond Saturday and Sunday in STL

That would be $330 total for both of us to race since it is two drivers in one car for both days. Am I reading that wrong? below is exactly what it says in the Supps...

$330 ( two drivers, one car both days)

Stephen

preparedcivic
07-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Stephen:

Two drivers in two separate classes/race groups both days are two discrete entries. At least that's how we registered. $299 x 2.

The $330 option would be of one of you ran in ITB Saturday and the other ran Sunday.

Knestis
07-13-2012, 01:01 PM
... The $330 option would be of one of you ran in ITB Saturday and the other ran Sunday.

...which under the festival format, I don't unnerstand.

K

TAC
07-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Hi everyone,

Back from a very nice vacation in Pensacola Florida. Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with all the forums, Thanks Dan for keeping things flowing!

2 drivers, One car, both days $330 Is meant to be for those drivers who have one car and want to share it over the weekend in one class. Such as mentioned Raymond on Saturday ITB and Stephen on Sunday ITB.
Yes the second driver would have to start the car at the back of the pack on Sunday.

Kirk,

Camping is free unless Guest Services thinks you have a toilet in your trailer/camper. Then its $30 if they think to ask.

And yes Hoosier Tire Midwest and Goodyear Tire will both be on site.

Just 9 days till on line registration closes. 100 entries, 41 being I.T.

IT7 1
ITA 9
ITB 6
ITC 11
ITE 2
ITR 2
ITS 10

Todd

TAC
07-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Stephen,

PM me. I think we can work something out.

Todd

itracer
07-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Who is providing on-site tire service for this event? I may need to purchase Hoosier tires and have them mounted after the test sesion on Friday evening. Please provide contact information if you have it.

Thanks!

TAC
07-17-2012, 05:38 PM
That would be

Hoosier Tire Midwest ( Terry Gilvin)

[email protected] 574-936-8344

Goodyear Competition West ( Mike Knox)

[email protected] 517-592-6681

Knestis
07-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Interesting recent ITB entry: Tony Swan in a Honda sponsored by Car and Driver...

Only one problem - it's a "2004 LXI" and there's no such animal listed in the ITCS. Oh, Todd...? :)

K

TAC
07-17-2012, 10:39 PM
It may be a typo on his part. How about a 1988 Honda LXI? He has that in his garage.

Todd

Knestis
07-18-2012, 07:32 AM
THAT'S more like it. Thanks!

K

TAC
07-18-2012, 06:31 PM
I've seen the car on the track. believe me it isn't 2004 anything. :D

TAC
07-18-2012, 09:50 PM
OK now we have 3 I.T. classes in double digits with ITS and ITC tied for the most entries.

ITS 11
ITC 11
ITA 10
ITB 8
ITE 2
ITR 2
IT7 1

Racerlinn
07-19-2012, 08:10 AM
How about that Group 6.....

TAC
07-19-2012, 07:46 PM
How about that Group 6.....

Yep. Not looking good.

TAC
07-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi everyone,

We are moving the 1 entry in STL and the 1 entry in STU out of group 5 and placing them in group 4. The two drivers are fine with the move as it puts them in with 17 SRF, and a few prod cars instead of 40 SMs. Both entries are double dipping and will be running in the final group as an ITS and ITB entry.

Other than that ITS is leading the I.T. total with 13 entires. ITC is close behind at 11 entries.

Todd

Knestis
07-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Is tech going to have a whistler there to check compression ratios, Todd?

K

preparedcivic
07-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Are garage assigments posted up anywhere?

TAC
07-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Kirk,

I know its been talked about.

I've already got a call in about the garage list. I know they are all filled.

Just 3 days left to register for the event. Remember there is no late fee if registering and paying on line.

Current I.T. entries

IT7 2
ITA 10
ITB 10
ITC 11
ITE 1
ITR 2
ITS 14

Just on a side note, in edition to the 118 registered club drivers the SCCA Pro guys have 32 F2000 and 28 F1600 drivers entered.

Gonna be a fun weekend. I hope there's a few more drivers out there that want to attend.

Best Regards,

Todd

Knestis
07-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Is there a way I can find out, Todd? I'm doing paperwork and don't want to put the tech guys/gals in a pickle.

K

Racerlinn
07-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Ooooo, drama-lama! :)

StephenB
07-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Kirk, I am not going... Not sure if you still need to ;)

Stephen

TAC
07-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Is there a way I can find out, Todd? I'm doing paperwork and don't want to put the tech guys/gals in a pickle.

K

No whistling

Knestis
07-23-2012, 10:33 PM
So they effectively can't check one of the three most useful cheats on an IT car... I have to admit that's a little disappointing.

K

jumbojimbo
07-23-2012, 10:59 PM
So they effectively can't check one of the three most useful cheats on an IT car... I have to admit that's a little disappointing.

K

What are the other two and can they be checked? :)

Serious question, there doesn't seem to be any time limit on how early you can file a protest? Or am I reading the GCR wrong?

TAC
07-24-2012, 06:36 AM

K

There is a lot of racing between now and Sunday afternoon. You may find things working out without the paperwork. As far as the whistler, its been on the region wish list, there was a chance to borrow one for the event but it fell through.

Todd

R2 Racing
07-24-2012, 02:35 PM
There is a lot of racing between now and Sunday afternoon. You may find things working out without the paperwork. As far as the whistler, its been on the region wish list, there was a chance to borrow one for the event but it fell through.

Todd
I've been trying to access one from my own region for about four months now, and still haven't. And I'm even on the BOD. For some reason, these things are guarded and cherished more than first borns, eventhough they're rarely ever used. I don't get it either.

And yes Kirk, Tony's Accord is a '88 LXi. I haven't raced against him, but from what I've heard, it's "wide" and handles great in the straights.

Knestis
07-24-2012, 11:12 PM

Todd

I'm a little twitchy with the idea of making a protest for non-compliance conditional on the vagaries of "competitiveness" or happenstance.

I went to the SIC one year ready to protest a competitor based on intel from others whose information I trusted. In that case, I decided to not do the paperwork because I was frankly driving like crap, giving up seconds that I was confident accounted for all of the difference between his and my lap times, or more.

HOWEVER - and I know I'm weird about stuff sometimes - I don't think being slower than others should be considered permission to cheat. If there's evidence that something ain't right, I should do what I'm supposed to do whether or not the accused is in front of me on the grid or not.

Protests for non-compliance have to be filed "No later than one hour before the start of the race session of the competition for the issue in question," but there's no limit as to how EARLY that may happen, Jimbo. All things being equal, I'd be inclined to get it over with early, which argues against a wait-and-see approach. I've also seen a couple of cases over the years where it sure LOOKED like someone knew they were in the crosshairs, and conveniently "had trouble with the car" until the race started. The Festival format complicates sandbagging however...

K

Knestis
07-24-2012, 11:15 PM
What are the other two and can they be checked? :)

Camshaft (P/N and lift) and throttle body (P/N and dimensions), and "I sure hope so." Gear ratios are a close third.

K

preparedcivic
07-25-2012, 07:44 AM
How many Whistlers are there? I know of only one in NEDiv, and it passed through my possession for a day getting delivered inter-region about a month ago. From what I know of them, making them give accurate readings can be a challenge.

But, changing the subject, will garage assignments be posted up anywhere? The reason I ask is due to some funky work commitments, I have to be in front of a laptop sitting in my RV all day Friday, which means getting to the track Thursday night, which I'm assuming I can do with PDX classes going on. I'd like to park in front of my garage when I pull in. TIA

StephenB
07-25-2012, 09:35 AM
If ner has one I can bring it but it needs to be located today. Let me know if anyone finds it or wants me to bring it.

Stephen