PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof

backformore
05-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Has anyone tried getting the rule for glass sunroofs in IT changed? Current rule says they must be replaced with a metal panel.

SS rules allow the glass roof, ST rules allow the glass roof, Honda Challenge rules allow the glass roof. Why doesn't IT allow the glass roof? Make me tape/vinyl both sides to reduce potential danger in the event of a rollover.

My ex-SS car could be easily entered into IT racing if not for that one glitch.

Greg Amy
05-10-2012, 09:42 PM
IT regs were written in the days of t-tops, moon roofs, and hair metal. Roof glass was truly glass, and not likely safety glass. Given current technology, and the fact that other comparable categories allow it, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the CRB would reject the idea.

Send in a request. Worst case they say "no".

GA

backformore
05-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks again. I will have to research the process for sending the request.

PS I think they should allow hair metal. I love hair metal.

Ed Funk
05-11-2012, 05:52 AM
WTF is "hair metal"?

BruceG
05-11-2012, 06:46 AM
It's the newest form of hair transplant, Ed....just can't go out in a thunderstorm.....LOL

Chip42
05-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks again. I will have to research the process for sending the request.

PS I think they should allow hair metal. I love hair metal.

letters canbe submitted here: crbscca.com

you can have hair metal. just not glass sunroof panels. it's in your interest to get that glass out. it's heavy and as high as they could put it. write the letter and the PTB will consider it.

backformore
05-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Getting rid of the roof is certainly at the top of the list for weight loss/performance gains. Until then though, I have a car that can not be run at all, regardless of its competitiveness (In IT).

I just found the form on SCCA.com Looks as though it could not be much easier. Thanks.

Knestis
05-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Compared to all of the other things that must/can be done to make an IT car compliant - or faster - replacing the sunroof was easy-peasy. A driveway-two-beers-three-hours-and-40-bucks deal. Why let this stand in the way?

K

tom91ita
05-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Has anyone tried getting the rule for glass sunroofs in IT changed? Current rule says they must be replaced with a metal panel.

SS rules allow the glass roof, ST rules allow the glass roof, Honda Challenge rules allow the glass roof. Why doesn't IT allow the glass roof? Make me tape/vinyl both sides to reduce potential danger in the event of a rollover.

My ex-SS car could be easily entered into IT racing if not for that one glitch.

look at the rules again. i think you might be mis-reading it. from may-2012:

Removable sunroof or T-top may be retained if bolted or welded in, or removed completely. Glass sunroofs must be removed. All sunroofs may be replaced with panel or replacement skin of the same material as the original surrounding roof material.

why can't you remove and not replace with metal. maybe you would have to wear arm restraints. but i am not sure i see where it says you they must be replaced with metal.

backformore
05-31-2012, 04:10 AM
Good point Tom. You are technically correct. I could just remove it.

Kurt, I know there is an easy solution but for some reason I would prefer to weld in a new panel from a non-sunroof car. Don't ask why because I can't give a good reason.

Thanks for the input. I still submitted the request since I don't see why IT doesn't let it remain when other similar classes do.

lateapex911
05-31-2012, 05:48 PM
1st post:
Make me tape/vinyl both sides to reduce potential danger in the event of a rollover.

My ex-SS car could be easily entered into IT racing if not for that one glitch. Then todays post:
Good point Tom. You are technically correct. I could just remove it.

Kurt, I know there is an easy solution but for some reason I would prefer to weld in a new panel from a non-sunroof car. Don't ask why because I can't give a good reason.

Thanks for the input. I still submitted the request since I don't see why IT doesn't let it remain when other similar classes do.

Wait...in your first post you said you just wanted to tape it over, like the other categories.
Now, in your latest post, you want to weld in a panel from a non sunroof car.
Seems like a change....but, no matter...
Why DON'T you weld in a panel from a non sunroof car? Thats certainly doing it the right way. (I removed my whole shebang and welded a roof on, and there was significant weight in all the extra stampings and gutters, etc.)
You are free to do that under the open VIN rule. (Assuming your car was available slick top)