PDA

View Full Version : Legal fuel

66-68shelby
05-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Was wondering what fuel is legal for my ITS 240Z? I gave up on making my 280 SCCA legal and purchased a 240 ITS car. Was told by previous owner mix 3 parts 100 octane, 2 parts 91 octane. He didn't state if the 100 octane was aircraft of race fuel. Another question on roll bar padding, are they enforcing SFI padding or not. All my hours of research in the GCR and Fastrack still show recommended. Looking forard to meeting the SeDiv group in June.

downingracing
05-02-2012, 12:56 PM
SFI padding is recommended but not required. The 'standard' padding will pass tech.

For fuel - If the IT car is registered for the street, you must run the MFG recommended octane rating from the owner’s manual/service manual. If the car is not registered for the street, than any fuel that meets the testing requirements for fuel (for IT) is allowed. (This should be covered in the GCR as well - please double check)

100 octane pump gas from the track should be just fine. Tech at the track should be able to tell you if the track fuel is acceptable for race weekend. FWIW - I've never seen fuel samples taken at a Regional event...

I don't know the real benefit of mixing 100 and 91, so I can't speak to that.

Matt :)

Racerlinn
05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Just plain old pump gas. I run 91 just to make sure I don't have detonation.

TStiles
05-02-2012, 01:19 PM
In the days of gas stations having both leaded and unleaded , the old cars supposedly ran better when you mixed 50% high octane leaded and 50% 87 octane unleaded ( I think I remember that right )

I had a 1973 911S that always got that mix

I never understood the chemistry , but I trusted the petroleum engineers ... Maybe they were messing with me ???????

jumbojimbo
05-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I've often wondered if the way the rule was written...if your car is registered for the street are you exempt from the fuel testing requirements or is the owner's manual an additional requirement?

It's never been clear to me if cars meeting #3 are required to follow #2 or exempt from it.

Also not clear whether a car that is licenced for the street but has had emissions controls devices removed falls. Doesn't meet #2. Meets #3.

2. Those vehicles which have emission control devices
removed and which are not registered and licensed for
street operation may use any gasoline meeting the requirements
of GCR Section 9.3 Fuel.
3. Those vehicles registered and licensed for street use shall
use the fuel specified by the workshop/owner’s manual.

Ron Earp
05-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Awesome, who's 240Z did you purchase?

joeg
05-02-2012, 02:03 PM
mixing lower octane and high octane gives you "mid-octane".

Pretty simple.

spawpoet
05-04-2012, 01:28 PM
We just run hi-test pump gas in our 240z, BUT when we ran the regular ethanol blend hi-test we were having problems with the fuel boiling in the float bowls screwing our mixture up on track. It took us several events to figure out the problem, and we now purchase non-ethanol hi-test and no longer have the problem. With the limited compression you get in a Z with the 1/2 pt bump allowed in IT, I doubt you need to run race gas. Now we sometimes run it when we can't find hi-test without ethanol, but it's not for the octane rating. it's to avoid the ethanol.

lawtonglenn
05-04-2012, 02:13 PM

and then there are those of us who must premix with oil ... like a weedwhacker! :D

JLawton
05-04-2012, 04:14 PM

and then there are those of us who must premix with oil ... like a weedwhacker! :D

And smokes and is as irritating as a weedwhacker!!