PDA

View Full Version : Head and Neck system

manny
04-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Gentlemen are we alowed to us a system called NextGen instead of the " HANS" ?

forestdweller37
04-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Yes. Any SFI 38.1 rated device is ok.

shwah
04-12-2012, 09:27 AM
As is any FIA rated device no?

erlrich
04-12-2012, 10:33 AM
As is any FIA rated device no?

Correct you are sir.

Manny, I'm just about to put my order in for one of the NecksGen units. The general belief is that they are made by the same guys who used to make the Defnder.

CRallo
04-12-2012, 11:51 AM
As is THE FIA rated device no?

fixed :p

Correct you are sir.

Manny, I'm just about to put my order in for one of the NecksGen units. The general belief is that they are made by the same guys who used to make the Defnder.

It is. Very similar device. Same address listed. corny/clever name and catch phrase... not that the latter part means anything, but I HAD to comment :D

raffaelli
04-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Correct you are sir.

Same address, same phone.

downingracing
04-12-2012, 07:56 PM
I've got one (just delivered to me) if anyone near Columbus, Ohio wants to check one out prior to ordering. I'm very happy with the initial look/feel of it. I really liked the $599 price tag. I especially like that it isn't a hans. :D

RacerBill
04-12-2012, 09:57 PM
I've got one (just delivered to me) if anyone near Columbus, Ohio wants to check one out prior to ordering. I'm very happy with the initial look/feel of it. I really liked the $599 price tag. I especially like that it isn't a hans. :D
+ + + + +:happy204:

BTW, I'll let everone know when my Hybrid arrives so you can check that out, also.

JLawton
04-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Yup, just got my NextGen on Monday. Seems fairly easy to get in and out of, attached to the helmet or after the helmet is on.

RacerBill
04-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Hybrid Pro just arrived! Mount to helmet in the morning!!!!!

tom91ita
04-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Bill,

not sure what helmet you have but it was quite difficult to push my mounting plates between the shell and the lining.

this video helped me know what to do. and i think i worked harder than the kid in the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZgunSvhOEA&feature=player_embedded

RacerBill
04-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Thanks, Tom. My Helmet is a Bell M4. Pretty tight fit between the shell and the lining, but I think it will work.

RacerBill
04-14-2012, 07:42 PM
OK, here are the pics of the new Hybrid H&NR. Installation was relatively easy, once I figured out that you had to take the helmet off to drill the holes! Just kidding. The angles will be different when wearing the device in the car. It will definitely be interesting adjusting the teathers correctly - a two person job for sure.

Well, fudge, no pictures - too large to upload. Will try again later.

manny
04-19-2012, 07:51 AM
well today i'll be putting in my order for the NecksGen will let you know how it feels, thank you for all of your input. :023:

JLawton
04-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Used my NextGen for the first time this weekend. I've only used an ISAAC in the past so no input compared to a HANs.

it took me awhile to figure out the procedure to get it on but once I did, it was fairly easy. I put the device on, put the shoulder belts on, then helmet. It was fairly easy to clip in. A little easier than the ISAAC. The sliding teathers worked well and it was easy to release. I never noticed it while out on the track.

The cons: It may have been inexperience but I did miss one of the sholuder belts over the device and it ended up underneith. Didn't realize it until I took the harness off. But I'm much more aware of the problem now so I was more careful after. The ends of the device where it rests on the chest left a slight bruise......... and I am FAR from having a big chest so I'm not sure how it would sit on someone big. I also had one time where one of the clips didn't clip all the way in. Again, may not be a problem once I use it more. Just an FYI, I do this by myself. I don't have help getting hooked up in the car.

Over all I'm happy with the ease of getting into it which was important to me since i don't get help.

gran racing
04-24-2012, 07:46 AM
The ends of the device where it rests on the chest left a slight bruise.........

Wow. In a sprint race no less. Any enduro driver takers? LOL That's unfortunately.

ajmr2
04-24-2012, 09:14 AM
I for one was not a happy camper about the new HNR requirement, but I did purchase a HANS. I tried it out a couple weeks ago at a WDCR PDX/TT event and it seemed to be OK during 2 short sessions while shaking the car down.
This past weekend was the first MARRS event, so I got to experience the whole procedure while sitting on the grid. It has altered my routine a bit, which always starts with securing the door net. Of course I completely forgot about that until I was fully attached to the car! Luckily our grid folks are on the ball and I got someone's attention to get the net, and someone else was coming by each driver to make sure our helmet chin straps were OK and to remind us to check that the HANS and belts were properly in place.
It did however take the full 5 minute warning to strap in, double check everything and clear my mind.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't even notice the HANS once we got going and had no issue with moving my head side to side or seeing my mirrors, so I can't complain, other than the expense, but who needs new tires? :024:

JLawton
04-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Wow. In a sprint race no less. Any enduro driver takers? LOL That's unfortunately.

Naa, that was after 6 sessions during the test, a 2o minute and 25 minute qualifying then according to my DL-1 I was moving 50+ minutes (it was a 45 minute race plus warm up lap, cool down lap, victory lap, into inpound)

Maybe it was bad because I don't have any chest muscles?? :shrug:

tom91ita
04-24-2012, 10:23 AM

i got the Hybrid Pro Rage. wore it for a 1.5 hours stint at a LeMons race this past weekend. worked really well with regards to comfort.

i have trouble clipping it with the helmet on (not very coordinated) and so had decided to clip first and then put it on sort of like pulling it over my head like a t-shirt.

worked fine until we broke one of the two earpieces for the radio and then we were trying to flip the one remaining between drivers so had to get help.

should not be an issue by myself on a normal race weekend.

Greg Amy
04-24-2012, 10:40 AM
I've been using an older HANS for a couple years now (since we went to 2" shoulder belts) and I've noticed a significant increase in the amount of time to prep. Whereas before I used to relax with my helmet off until the "3 minute", now I get nearly-panicked if I'm not fully bolted-in by the 5. That's especially an issue if they don't give us a "5" and instead go directly to the "3" (like they did this past weekend for the quallies...)

Just another thing to have to accommodate. I do miss my on-grid sleepy-time, though...

GA

erlrich
04-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Well, my new Kon... er, Nistun... er, Hoosi... er, I mean Necksgen will be here tomorrow - I'll get to use it in anger in a couple of weeks at VIR. I'll write up a report once I've tried it out. I do have some muskles, but they're hiding under the moobs; hopefully there will be no bruising.

CRallo
04-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Just another thing to have to accommodate. I do miss my on-grid sleepy-time, though...

GA

On-grid sleepy time is the best!!!!

JLawton
04-24-2012, 01:58 PM
. I do miss my on-grid sleepy-time, though...

GA

In the afternoon qualifying session this past weekend I was gridded first. I had put my head back and apparently feel asleep to the drone of the SRFs........... I woke up to dead silence, looked to my left and EVERYONE was belted in with helmets on........ I FREAKED!! Fortunately there was some clean up to do from the SRF and I had time to get everything on. Not a great way to wake up!!

If you've got radios, video, data acquisition, etc......along with the H&N, it does take a long time to get ready.

BruceG
04-24-2012, 02:49 PM
In the afternoon qualifying session this past weekend I was gridded first. I had put my head back and apparently feel asleep to the drone of the SRFs........... I woke up to dead silence, looked to my left and EVERYONE was belted in with helmets on........ I FREAKED!! Fortunately there was some clean up to do from the SRF and I had time to get everything on. Not a great way to wake up!!

If you've got radios, video, data acquisition, etc......along with the H&N, it does take a long time to get ready.

from now on,they will be serving coffee/tea on the grid to help avoid these embarassing moments........LOL:023:

CRallo
04-24-2012, 06:03 PM
from now on,they will be serving coffee/tea on the grid to help avoid these embarassing moments........LOL:023:

LOL :happy204:

Good one! Glad to see you were that relaxed though! Hey, that is better than waking up to the one minute whistle!!

Matt Rowe
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Although my own race weekend was cut short due to engine problems I did get enough time on track to make me really miss my ISAAC. I picked the Hybrid Pro Rage although I don't think that choice made a difference as all these devices share common issues.

Having to now rely on a yoke type device secured by the harness means I no longer feel comfortable waiting to the 3 to tighten down the straps and throw on the helmet. Just too much concern to make sure the belts are aligned properly. But more importantly I never felt like I could get the shoulder belts (and therefore my torso) as tight as before. On track I actually felt a lot less comfortable (safe) and a little more detached from the car. So aside from worried about my head popping off I am now also worried about sliding around in the seat.

JoshS
04-24-2012, 10:03 PM
You guys will get used to it. I have been using a HANS since 2004. I get into the car at the 5, and at that time turn the radio/camera on, put window net up, steering wheel on, cool suit hooked up, belts on w/HANS, but don't put my helmet and gloves on until the 3.

lateapex911
04-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Although my own race weekend was cut short due to engine problems I did get enough time on track to make me really miss my ISAAC. I picked the Hybrid Pro Rage although I don't think that choice made a difference as all these devices share common issues.

Having to now rely on a yoke type device secured by the harness means I no longer feel comfortable waiting to the 3 to tighten down the straps and throw on the helmet. Just too much concern to make sure the belts are aligned properly. But more importantly I never felt like I could get the shoulder belts (and therefore my torso) as tight as before. On track I actually felt a lot less comfortable (safe) and a little more detached from the car. So aside from worried about my head popping off I am now also worried about sliding around in the seat.\

On the other hand, reread, carefully, the May 12 Fastrack wording regarding hNRs

Matt Rowe
04-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Thanks Jake, certainly an interesting response from the CRB, it makes me wonder what the request is. In principle it would appear that I could throw the SFI certified device in the car and use something else. Technically I have the approved device and as long as I don't attract the attention of tech then no one is obligated to stop me. Not an ideal approach though.

JLawton
06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
I wanted to give a quick update on the second weekend with the NextGen. I spent a lot of time in the car so I got very used to it. 5-6 sessions running with the school, qualifying and three races.

I can't say "I love it" because It's much easier/comfortable to not wear one but it certainly is a non-issue. In one session i got it all on with plenty of time after the three minute warning. Had no problems getting the belts in place or the tethers attached. Very comfortable. Two thumbs up! :023::023:

wepsbee
06-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Irrelevant whether I am comfortable or not, based upon last weeks performance at
NHMS I will not complain about the Hans again, Head on, concrete wall 50 to 60, no
head or neck injuries at all. The car on the other hand.......:rolleyes:

evanwebb
06-07-2012, 02:16 PM
I have used a HANS a few weekend and I don't see it as a big deal. I clip the HANS to the helmet and then put them both on together, then I get in the car and hook up the harness, etc. I can do it all myself if necessary. Then I sit in the car and wait until it's time to go, and yes I've fallen asleep on the false grid too...

erlrich
06-07-2012, 03:36 PM
I got the chance to try out my Necksgen a few weeks ago at VIR. No problem at all putting it on - although I find it easier to put everything on after I'm in the car, just as Jeff described - and once I was on track I never knew it was there. I did also have a bruise on one shoulder - no pain or soreness, just a bruise. No worse than a day at the shooting range to be sure.

I also didn't get a chance to test it in action - I'll try harder next time I promise - but expect it would work as well as any of the others. Overall I'm happy with it, would certainly recommend it, although I would still go back to my ISAAC in a minute if given the option.