PDA

View Full Version : WMR "Unrestricted" Double Regional at Grattan on 5/26, 5/27

wtracing80
04-09-2012, 04:58 PM
WMR is hosting the "Unrestricted" Double Regional at Grattan on 5/26 & 5/27. Registration is open at the link below. I'm the Race Chair and we're looking for a great turnout of folks. This is the ONLY unrestricted regional in GLDiv before mid August. We like ALL classes…..so come on out and enjoy all that WMR and Grattan have to offer. The great layout, our three race program (qual race Sunday morning), real time T&S data via wi-fi, the awesome dinner on Saturday night and a really good looking Race Chair. http://static.yuku.com/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif
We condensed the race groups from six to five so there's more track time than usual. We'll have THREE sessions on Saturday and everybody leaves earlier on Sunday.

Again this year my wife is the registrar so make her life and, by default, my life easier and register early. There is no penalty for paying at the track.

wmr-scca.motorsportreg.com

Please let me know if you have any questions ([email protected]; 517.889.1117).

Dayle

Eagle7
04-09-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm in.

jumbojimbo
04-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Group 1 rocks.

tom91ita
04-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Grattan has always had some of the best dinners at the track i have ever had! :happy204:

jumbojimbo
04-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Are there supps for this event or am I just missing them?

wtracing80
04-12-2012, 02:07 PM
They are now posted on registration page as well as the WMR site (www.wmr-scca.org (http://www.wmr-scca.org)).

Dayle

wtracing80
05-06-2012, 11:16 AM
bump.....

Registration is open and everything is moving forward. Let me know if you have any questions.

Dayle

Spinnetti
05-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Boy, I'd like to, and Grattan is my favorite track, but my SCCA license is long lapsed (been racing other series)... Might be tough get through all the bureaucracy to run in such a short time. My ITA car has been reclassed and I ain't moving it, so would also have to run in some 'catch-all'. will you have ITE or equiv? (All my safety stuff cage/belts/net/fire system is up to date)

PS, anybody have an idea on how long Hoosiers last without going off? I got them new/heat cycled and have had them covered in the basement, but they are old....

Hmm...

wtracing80
05-07-2012, 04:39 PM
The SCCA takes WHRRI, NASA, MCSCC, etc. licenses for regional competition. So if you have a license with another body, you can use it to run our regionals. Check GCR 3.1.5 for the entire list. If your membership to SCCA has lapsed as well, we can get you a weekend membership. We're about getting folks to come and have fun. Contact me ([email protected]) if you have any questions.

Dayle

Spinnetti
05-07-2012, 04:55 PM
The SCCA takes WHRRI, NASA, MCSCC, etc. licenses for regional competition. So if you have a license with another body, you can use it to run our regionals. Check GCR 3.1.5 for the entire list. If your membership to SCCA has lapsed as well, we can get you a weekend membership. We're about getting folks to come and have fun. Contact me ([email protected]) if you have any questions.

Dayle

Thanks Dayle, I'll give that some thought and check into it.

Will you have a catchall class I can run my ex-ITA car in?

I raced IT from 92' and fell off the last 5 years (didn't want to switch classes) and went to Lemons in my Lexus. If I can pull it together, I might just do. I'm KY now, but I'm from E.L...... :)

tom91ita
05-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Dave,

i joined one of the MCSCC clubs (Chicagoland) and applied for and received a MCSCC "novice" license.

which is all i need to run SCCA events if i buy a weekend membership. unless you run a bunch of scca events, this is the cheaper way to go.

i figure i will do this until i recoup my "Isaac" investment funds from SCCA membership fees. i have no issue paying for a race weekend since that supports the local regions. but i intend to minimize $$ to the national org.

plus i had to shell out for the LeMons license....

Spinnetti
05-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Dave,

i joined one of the MCSCC clubs (Chicagoland) and applied for and received a MCSCC "novice" license.

which is all i need to run SCCA events if i buy a weekend membership. unless you run a bunch of scca events, this is the cheaper way to go.

i figure i will do this until i recoup my "Isaac" investment funds from SCCA membership fees. i have no issue paying for a race weekend since that supports the local regions. but i intend to minimize $$ to the national org.

plus i had to shell out for the LeMons license....

Hi Tom. Thanks for the info... Lots of details I don't know any more
> With the weekend membership, does that still require a physical too?
> Is Hans required for SCCA now? If so, I guess it makes that easy as I'm not buying one unless I have to.
After 20+ years in the Corolla, I want to do one more "fling", then probably sell it if the hassle/reward equation doesn't work out. I haven't been racing it and hate to let it sit. Its all fresh though and with all new safety gear, sparco seat, paint, graphics, wheels, tires etc.. Looks better than it did when we ran together years ago.

tom91ita
05-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi Tom. Thanks for the info... Lots of details I don't know any more
> With the weekend membership, does that still require a physical too? Yes, because it is needed to get a license that SCCA accepts. i used the SCCA physical form because it was accepted by MWSCC.
> Is Hans required for SCCA now? If so, I guess it makes that easy as I'm not buying one unless I have to. SFI or FIA certified H&NR. i have a Hybrid.
After 20+ years in the Corolla, I want to do one more "fling", then probably sell it if the hassle/reward equation doesn't work out. I haven't been racing it and hate to let it sit. Its all fresh though and with all new safety gear, sparco seat, paint, graphics, wheels, tires etc.. Looks better than it did when we ran together years ago.

when applying for the Novice license with MWSCC, i put together a list of my races over the years and noted that my SCCA license expired last year. pretty much the type of documentation when i asked SCCA to issue a regional when i did not have any races for the previous year.

Spinnetti
05-08-2012, 04:38 PM
when applying for the Novice license with MWSCC, i put together a list of my races over the years and noted that my SCCA license expired last year. pretty much the type of documentation when i asked SCCA to issue a regional when i did not have any races for the previous year.

Thanks Tom.

Between physical, other license, temp scca license, reclassing my car and concomitant costs and then Hans-ish requirement, I think that's just too many hurdles. The racing is better in Lemons with 80+ car fields and 4hrs+ track time per driver each weekend. The cost/benefit just doesn't seem to be there anymore in SCCA. Stinks to put 20yrs of development in a car and have to do it over too. Sadly, maybe its time to move on. What's the rules on Vintage? 85' old enough? I don't really want to give up, but feels kinda inevtiable :(

jumbojimbo
05-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Let me get this straight, new paint, graphics, wheels, tires, belts, seat and it's too much effort to get a license? And not cost effective?

edit: maybe I'm missing the point, maybe you are saying it isn't worth all that hassle and expense to run one more scca event and sell the car. I'll grant you that. You won't get a dime of that money back out when you sell the car.

double edit: reclassing the car? I'll make you some class letters for free if that helps.

wtracing80
05-08-2012, 06:32 PM
You do NOT need a physical to get a weekend membership. Use your license from another body (NASA, WHRRI, etc.) and come run with us. Yes, you'll need a H&N system but you can borrow one of those or buy a used one on eBay.

Dayle

Spinnetti
05-08-2012, 10:53 PM
You do NOT need a physical to get a weekend membership. Use your license from another body (NASA, WHRRI, etc.) and come run with us. Yes, you'll need a H&N system but you can borrow one of those or buy a used one on eBay.

Dayle

hmmm.. where to bum one. I may need one eventually, but they hurt my collarbones.

I don't have another series license, but will look at that. Need a dummies guide to this! I just wanna trailer up, suit up and drive!

This is my ride, 'cept its no longer ITA legal having been pushed to B.... so that's a problem I'm not wiling to fix, but would run in ITE or whatever catchall you guys have these days.
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4241/cimg1893c.jpg

wtracing80
05-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Email me at [email protected] and we'll chat.

Dayle

924Guy
05-09-2012, 08:25 AM
God forbid you have a chance at being competitive??? Seriously, a trip to a junkyard or two for some used, stock wheels, and you're at the front of the field...

I went through this same reclassification years ago. Best thing that ever happened to me in racing.

Sounds like racing itself is just too much trouble...

(Worst thing - getting addicted to carbon fiber...)

Spinnetti
05-09-2012, 12:42 PM
God forbid you have a chance at being competitive??? Seriously, a trip to a junkyard or two for some used, stock wheels, and you're at the front of the field...

I went through this same reclassification years ago. Best thing that ever happened to me in racing.

Sounds like racing itself is just too much trouble...

(Worst thing - getting addicted to carbon fiber...)

Still mulling it over... I was top 5 before anyway - just couldn't win when the top guys were there. I'd end up with the top guy running away, and everybody else behind with me alone in the middle... It was hard to hit minimum weight, and hard to add back huge amounts of lead! I haven't stopped racing, just SCCA.. Trying to determine if the extra hurdles are worth it. Your all's feedback makes it look like it might be worth giving it another go. I'll get with Dayle off line and see if I can get it together. A hans is the biggest limit right now as my car budget was already chewed up for new wheels and tires for the other car.

jumbojimbo
05-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Still mulling it over... I was top 5 before anyway - just couldn't win when the top guys were there. I'd end up with the top guy running away, and everybody else behind with me alone in the middle... It was hard to hit minimum weight, and hard to add back huge amounts of lead! I haven't stopped racing, just SCCA.. Trying to determine if the extra hurdles are worth it. Your all's feedback makes it look like it might be worth giving it another go. I'll get with Dayle off line and see if I can get it together. A hans is the biggest limit right now as my car budget was already chewed up for new wheels and tires for the other car.

If your head fits a G-Force Med/Lrg you are welcome to borrow my Helmet and Defndr. As long as you promise not to sweat in it too much.

I'm not able to attend the race and shipping is probably too expensive to make it worthwhile, but I'm sure we could find someone making the trip north for the race.

tom91ita
05-09-2012, 03:17 PM
If your head fits a G-Force Med/Lrg you are welcome to borrow my Helmet and Defndr. As long as you promise not to sweat in it too much.

I'm not able to attend the race and shipping is probably too expensive to make it worthwhile, but I'm sure we could find someone making the trip north for the race.

Jim,

very generous and gracious of you to offer.

Spinnetti
05-10-2012, 10:27 AM

That is very generous... I'd feel bad about bumming it from you though. I'll hit the web and see if I can come up with something.

tom91ita
05-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Dave,

from another site and not confirmed with LeMons but the H&NR might be in your future at LeMons as well. you might want to move up this purchase and double dip at NASA, MWSCC, SCCA, etc.

Originally Posted by Jay Lamm, 24 Hours of Lemons Grand Poobah
Why You Want a Real Head-and-Neck Restraint
Today's sermon: safety. Now that we've outlawed piano-wire shoulder harnesses and are keeping Judge Phil off the track, what's the next best thing you can do to be safer? Wear a legit head-and-neck restraint.

Here's why: In an impact, your corpulent body remains strapped to the seat while your big, helmet-wrapped melon keeps moving. That can put terrible, even potentially fatal loads on the fragile, life-sustaining vertebrae, nerves, and muscles connecting your head to your body. Used correctly, a legit head-and-neck restraint limits those motions tremendously better than the bare-minimum-required, mostly-for-comfort foam neck roll.

Some series mandate these highly effective devices; some don't. And because they're expensive ($595+, though a whole team can usually share one), LeMons still leaves the choice up to you. There's no question you should use a head-and-neck restraint, though: It's a much better investment than wide wheels, that 10-gallon bottle of Jaeger, and everything else that you're already spending that money on.

We want to encourage all racers to step up to these systems. So, while pricing is set by the factory--you're generally stuck paying MSRP everywhere--we've convinced IOPort Racing to throw in some Get Out of the Penalty Box cards and bucks-off certificates on future purchases with each head-and-neck restraint bought for LeMons. IOPort's LeMons-only safety page is live now: You must be a registered team member to order.

Spinnetti
05-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Dave,

from another site and not confirmed with LeMons but the H&NR might be in your future at LeMons as well. you might want to move up this purchase and double dip at NASA, MWSCC, SCCA, etc.

Yeah, I know about that too. More of a money thing right now. I really want to run the Corolla once this year to see if I should sell it or do more club racing, but money is getting tight (just bought a new CNC mill). I might see if my buddy Don wants to split getting one.

924Guy
05-11-2012, 08:01 AM
You really should bring 'er out for ITB - truly a great place to run!!

Heck, come down to Mid-O for the Grand-Am race in July!!! Already shows to be quite a good ITB field... :D

Spinnetti
05-11-2012, 09:31 AM
You really should bring 'er out for ITB - truly a great place to run!!

Heck, come down to Mid-O for the Grand-Am race in July!!! Already shows to be quite a good ITB field... :D

Both the events and the tracks are a draw for me. Grattan is my favorite track, and I love the kink and Mid-O.

I'm one of those wierdo's that is more into the car than the competition. I ran very well in ITA, and no doubt can in ITB, but I'm not strapping on more weight and running skinnier wheels regardless of where I'd finish. Only question is, do I go to another club, Switch classes or sell it? Its optimized for IT already. Maybe I just need to do one of the pre-event test and tunes, either at Mid-O or Grattan to see if I get fired back up and where I'd fall in lap times. Motor swap and run STL? My wife is getting on me about having two race cars, one of which I'm not driving, so gotta get rid of one by the end of next season.

924Guy
05-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Sounds right... did you notice the cheap test day associated with the driver's school at Gingerman? $75...

tom91ita
05-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Dave,

there has been a PDX at Mid-O prior to the IT fest the past couple of years. that would be decent.

i think the grand am weekend is June though. should see you at Autobahn that weekend (conflicts with LeMons).

the Grand Am weekend looks great otherwise.

jumbojimbo
05-11-2012, 04:06 PM
There is a track day the day before Grattan too. I think it is $120 for full day, $100 for half. Wouldn't require a H&N. Bet you could get tons of laps. And you could stay for Sat and see the SCCA races.

http://www.grattanraceway.com/schedule.html

Spinnetti
05-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies... Grattan is quite a haul, but is my favorite. I'm thinking a pre-race track day at MO might be the best option without me having to replace a bunch of gear just for the trial. Heck, I'm tempted to take the Lemon out there to see how my lap times compare!

tom91ita
05-24-2012, 07:57 AM
bump for a good event.

got my car teched last night. forgot my gear.......... it was at my house and not with the car/trailer following the gingerman LeMons event....:blink:

paid on line last night and fresh tires arrived yesterday. hope it does not rain as i have no proper rain tires.

looking forward to it.

tom91ita
05-28-2012, 09:42 AM
if you were not here, you missed a great event. great food again on saturday night.

first time in a long time i remember having a bona fide practice session, which worked out well.

i had bought new Hankooks and used the practice session to try and scrub/heat cycle the new tires.

so format was 3 sessions saturday: practice, qualifying and race. on Sunday, there was a 7 lap qualfying race and a 15 lap sanction race.

Eagle7
05-28-2012, 12:50 PM
^
What he said.

Always: great track, great food, great workers.
This year: great weather, great racing in my class.

Anybody know the outcome of the Miata that rolled across turn 1?

darthmonkeyIT
05-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Ya a yellow flag the entire race that prevented me from passing at the end of the straight away for 12 laps. :rolleyes:

I saw the driver at the car after the race I believe. He was just shook up.

My first event in a while with good function brakes. Defended 2nd place in ITA most of the race Saturday (lots of fun! :happy204:) and attacked Tony's ITB accord all race Sunday. 12 laps of getting to his front door down the straight away but could not finish the pass due to the yellow in 1. :( Live and learn I should have concentrated on a good run out of 8 to beat him to 1. :eclipsee_steering: