PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Glen Info please

steve b
04-05-2012, 07:18 AM
I'll be racing for the first time at Watkins Glen in the end of May. I've basically turned my car trailer into a redneck camper with heat/air, a microwave, and a fold down bed so that I can sleep in the trailer in the paddock on race weekends. Can anyone tell me about the availability of electric hookups in the paddock (and what plug is needed) and also if there are showers available?

CRallo
04-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Showers yes. There might be some access to power in the paddock, but they have campgrounds at WGI. Someone else will have to comment further...

preparedcivic
04-05-2012, 08:48 AM
The only power plugs I know of at the Glen are in the motorhome area right behind pit lane that is set up for the NASCAR Prevosts and the like. I do not believe they let trailers in there.

Best bet is to bring a generator.

StephenB
04-05-2012, 09:16 AM
What rob said. Also the showers are awesome but make sure you ask for a map and take a car... If you walk you will think you walked far enough to be in a new time zone!

Stephen

PS: Glen long is an awesome track. You WILL love it!

MMiskoe
04-05-2012, 07:48 PM
We camped there last fall and had power right adjacent to where they grid up cars. It was very close to the garages, however it was on gravel.

steve b
04-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. One last question... the event is Memorial Day weekend. But there is only racing on Saturday and Sunday. Will they kick everyone out of the paddock Sunday night, or will we be able to camp in the paddock Sunday night and leave Monday morning?

downingracing
04-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Does anyone have a link to the supps/entry form for this weekend @ Watkins Glen? Thanks!

dhardison
04-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Does anyone have a link to the supps/entry form for this weekend @ Watkins Glen? Thanks!

http://www.glen-scca.org/RoadRacing/2012/MayTestDay.pdf

http://www.glen-scca.org/RoadRacing/2012/MaySupps.pdf

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/7648FE66-C236-3848-441FB3B6ED9493E0

"Per WGI, no two-wheeled vehicles may be operated in the Paddock, Garage or Pits during racing hours except by operating officials" :rolleyes: Looks like I'll be bringing Kyle's ATV......

dhardison
04-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. One last question... the event is Memorial Day weekend. But there is only racing on Saturday and Sunday. Will they kick everyone out of the paddock Sunday night, or will we be able to camp in the paddock Sunday night and leave Monday morning?

From the supps:

7. Everyone must be off the track property by 8:00pm Sunday.

lateapex911
04-06-2012, 12:00 PM
What rob said. Also the showers are awesome but make sure you ask for a map and take a car... If you walk you will think you walked far enough to be in a new time zone!

Stephen

PS: Glen long is an awesome track. You WILL love it!
"Awesome"? Compared to Lime Rock, maybe!
Also, bring quarters, as they need them to turn on, at least they did when I last used them.

Power IS available in the big paved paddock, but it's limited and you need to get there early to grab it.
If you bring a generator, I hope it's a quiet one.
Also, The Glen in late May can be hot, cold, wet dry. In the same day.

raffaelli
04-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Registration is suspended?

tdw6974
04-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Means it is being set up it will be back!

gran racing
04-06-2012, 09:16 PM
"Awesome"? Compared to Lime Rock, maybe!Thank you! I was like WTF? Really? Where are these showers?

Steve, my biggest advice is not racing "per se" related. Visit the Watkins Glen State Park. I'm amazed at how many racers just stay at the track and miss this. Also go towards the lake. Like German Vineyards? Or another type of winery? TONS of stuff to check out.

StephenB
04-06-2012, 10:28 PM
sorry I was comparing it to tracks I have taken a shower at. NHMS, LRP, POC, MID OHIO, SUMMIT, ROAD ATLANTA. NJMP would be the 1 exception that is better.

lateapex911
04-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I hear ya Stephen, yea, although NH isn't bad, can be pretty decent, depending on which ones you choose. And you don't need to get out to put in more quarters!~
NJMP is pretty good.

1stgen
04-07-2012, 01:56 AM
Don't need quarters at the glen, just turn the knob and it will work.
P.s. the showers are on the outfield of the track. If you are heading out towards the entrance, turn right after the tunnel and left at the first intersection. Drive approximately 1 mile and they are on the right in a little out building....bring flip flops

tdw6974
04-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Registration now open for May madness!

downingracing
04-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Car and driver are no where near ready... Tons to get done to make the event, but I'm registered!!! Really looking forward to running the Glen! Always wanted to come up for a race - what a cool track!!! Thanks to Dan Hardison talking me into it - We will be at the test day to try and figure out where the track goes! :blink:

Matt Downing
ITA #14 - Ohio Valley Region

downingracing
04-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Exhaust re-work under way. New body parts being installed (not all, but some). Actually purhcased a tach to replace the one that broke a year ago. Brakes ordered. Tires ordered. H&N device delivered and being installed on the helmet. Nut/Bolt check with fluid change under way... I love racing a Honda - as close to the easy button as you can get. :)

RBass
04-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Just a heads-up. If you use their showers, wear rubber flip flops or something similar. A fews years back, I hit the showers after a race day, the floors are concrete, and ending up slipping on the concrete floor and split my elbow open. I still raced the following day, but it was kind of hard bending my elbow to fasten the HANS - wasn't much fun......

dhardison
04-13-2012, 03:42 PM
At the Glen on which side do they measure sound (i.e. driver's left or driver's right)?

1stgen
04-13-2012, 04:21 PM
At the Glen on which side do they measure sound (i.e. driver's left or driver's right)?
They don't have a db limit

JohnRW
04-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Oh yes...they do.

Sound is top of the Esses right before the bridge, on driver's left.

Terry Hanushek
04-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Dan

At Watkins Glen, sound is measured on DL opposite Station 4 at the top of the Esses. Sound control is in effect for all SCCA races at The Glen.

HTH

Terry

CRallo
04-13-2012, 05:02 PM
what is the limit?

dave parker
04-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Chris
103 db is the GCR mandated limit.

cheers
dave parker

CRallo
04-13-2012, 05:47 PM
okay, just making sure that it defaulted to the GCR limit... at NH the limit is 99 for some freaking reason! :( my car averages 101 I think...

Thanks Dave!

We were good at WGI last year, but was curious by how much... Our's is the loudest slow car out there, you can hear it all the way to the bus stop from pit lane!

Terry Hanushek
04-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Chris

103 db is the GCR mandated limit.

The GCR specifies 103 db as the default maximum for all events - that is, unless modified (lowered) by the supplemental regulations for the event.

It is a good idea to check the supps, particularly on your first visit to a track, to see what the local sound standard is.

at NH the limit is 99 for some freaking reason! :( my car averages 101 I think...

New Hampshire has a maximum of 99db in their supps because it is mandated by NHMS in accordance with the track agreement with its neighbors. AFAIK all lower sound standards are a result of agreements / mandates from the local communities.

HTH

Terry

tdw6974
04-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Don't need quarters at the glen, just turn the knob and it will work.
P.s. the showers are on the outfield of the track. If you are heading out towards the entrance, turn right after the tunnel and left at the first intersection. Drive approximately 1 mile and they are on the right in a little out building....bring flip flops
Also showers towards the boot go under track like you are headed to Gate 6 they are on left.:eclipsee_steering:

1stgen
04-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Also showers towards the boot go under track like you are headed to Gate 6 they are on left.:eclipsee_steering:

The little brown building on the left I assume?

When I meant there was no db limit it was kind of a joke...if your louder than 103 db and get black flagged at wgi thenyour car is clearly too loud or your exhaust has fallen off.

tdw6974
04-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Correct on the little brown building!