PDA

View Full Version : IT-Miata Shootout @ Mid-Ohio June 8-10 *Grand-Am Weekend*

S2_ITBVW
04-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Registration is open for this event on MotorsportsReg.com. This looks like a great weekend with track time each day and Grand-Am racing in between. Also, ITR is included, which I seem to recall was a point of discussion last year. Who's going??

darthmonkeyIT
04-04-2012, 09:03 AM
I am signed up. Few other (3) 5:01 guys too (the Datsuns). Was a blast last fall. We had around 50 cars all weekend. Note since this is a Pro weekend we run the pro circuit so no kink between turn 1 & 2.

Really looking forward to it again. And this year we get prime time running on Saturday! Last year we had morning qualifying Saturday at 9 AM followed by Continental Tire series and Grand Am so there was really no one watching yet. Looks like this year we qualify in between the pro series races so fans will accidently be watching us! :smilie_pokal:

CRallo
04-04-2012, 09:51 AM
yea... schedule last year was so so, but beggars can't be choosers right? lol Do we race while they are still on the property?

StephenB
04-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Kinda bummed now. I have made other plans since I expected ITR to be exluded again. I had posted multiple times and sent a few e-mails trying to find out about ITR this year, and didn't get any responses so I assumed we were locked out again. Oh well, the 4 of us are all going to do LRP that weekend instead this year but maybe next year if they do it again.

To whom it may concern... please let us know if the ITR thing works out. Next year I would like to go but I (other drivers and crew) need to plan vacation time to make the trip.

Stephen

S2_ITBVW
04-04-2012, 12:18 PM
The schedule looks really good. Over three hours of track time for $250.00 AND we get to rub elbows with the pro teams. Very cool!

For those who attended last year, where do all the SCCA folks paddock? Are we restricted to a certain area?

Also, with two qualifying sessions and two qualifying races, how will the grid for the final points race be set? Will it be the average of your finish in the two qualifying races? I did not see how this would be handled in the supps.

DE

Eagle7
04-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Woohoo! I was there last year and had the best racing of my life. I'm very tempted to jump in on this one.

dhardison
04-04-2012, 02:03 PM
For those who attended last year, where do all the SCCA folks paddock? Are we restricted to a certain area?
DE We were restricted to the lower "grassy" paddock adjacent to the chain link fence area where the Mid-O school cars are parked. Over by the the shower/toilet building. :blink: The area will be roped/taped off (or at least it was last year).

R2 Racing
04-04-2012, 03:40 PM
I guess I won't exactly be shocked if all the ITR cars now don't show up this year. Not the first time I've heard "If you'd do XYZ, we'd all be there!". But hey, either way we tried to accomodate. Stephen - I was the RE last year and am still on the BOD this year, and no ITR competitors ever asked me. And I realize that people need to ask off work well ahead of time, but I doubt I even could've answered that question for sure until about mid-February. Expecting a June event to be written in stone any earlier than that is a bit much.

And this year we get prime time running on Saturday! Last year we had morning qualifying Saturday at 9 AM followed by Continental Tire series and Grand Am so there was really no one watching yet. Looks like this year we qualify in between the pro series races so fans will accidently be watching us! :smilie_pokal:

Also, with two qualifying sessions and two qualifying races, how will the grid for the final points race be set? Will it be the average of your finish in the two qualifying races? I did not see how this would be handled in the supps.
Check that schedule again fellas, we're racing Saturday afternoon in front of the big crowd! I wasn't gonna let that opportunity go by with just another boring qualifying session.

Here's our sessions.
Friday:
5:20-5:50pm - Qualifying #1

Saturday:
3:05-3:20pm - 10 Lap Race #1

Sunday:
9:10-9:40am - Qualifying #2
12:50-1:20pm - 10 Lap Race #2
3:15-4:00pm - 19 Laps Trophy Race

Obviously Q1 sets the grid for R1, and subsequently Q2 for R2. The grid for the Trophy Race (which is a full GLDiv points race with tech and all!) will most likely be set by average finishing position from R1 & R2, with fastest lap time in either race deciding ties.

Also keep in mind that your $250 entry fee gets you and your crew (up to 3) credentials to the entire weekend, which otherwise would've cost you around $50 per person. I always take my RV and some friends up for this event just to hangout and drink beer anyways, so to me, this is almost like I get to race that weekend too for like no additional mony! :happy204: Right now my plan is to bring the ITA Integra, complete with a new LSD & FD that I'm dying to try out.

StephenB
04-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Kevin, I tried to find out multiple times. not sure why it was a hard decision but you guys made the right decision! Even if no-one goes this year please keep the ITR group in mind for next year. I love your track and to be honest I love the racers out that way. The IT fest still remains one of my favorite in the last 10years. For us travel is long and far.

I have to give you HUGE props for a $250 entry fee! That saves me enough gas money to make it almost equal to attending the grand-am race at NJMP. Great job! I am sure the event will go great! Also a BIG + to calling it what it is and building on both the IT and Miata run group names.

Sad that I most likely will not make it, but I may try to convince the family and friends. :)

Stephen

924Guy
04-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Wow, that sure is a pretty great price, given the event - good job!

Too bad it would be the 3rd weekend in a row for me, and only the weekend after the Mid-O Double National... or I'd try to convince the wife to run it...

Eagle7
04-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Too bad it would be the 3rd weekend in a row for me...
So you're coming to the Grattan regional?

924Guy
04-05-2012, 01:05 PM
No - Waterford Race 1 instead, followed by the Mid-O 2ble Nat... and the first is with both racecars, ITB and DSR!

R2 Racing
04-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Don't be a weenie. I'm doing Mid Ohio double national, Mid Ohio Grand-Am regional, and The June Sprints in three straight weekend.

Eagle7
04-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Don't be a weenie. I'm doing Mid Ohio double national, Mid Ohio Grand-Am regional, and The June Sprints in three straight weekend.
Sounds like you're free for the Grattan regional :happy204:

924Guy
04-05-2012, 06:51 PM
LOL!

Well, given that my DSR has been completely torn down and 50% redesigned over the winter... I'm not being a weenie, just trying to not overextend myself. After all, it has yet to show that it can run a full National race distance in anger, at full pace, without turning into a fireball! (The only Nat I ran last year, Regional too, were mixed conditions...)

So it's a bit ambitious to think I can even survive two races back-to-back, at the double, with an unproven car... would love to think I could go down there and pick up another lap record, but... odds are not good...

924Guy
04-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Well, I showed it to the boss, and she's rather keen on the idea... though the schedule's a bitch. We'll see how it goes, may very well end up there anyway if the cars hold up... ;)

S2_ITBVW
04-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Kevin Ruck (or anyone who knows) is there a limit to the number of crew members we can have at this event? On MotorsportsReg it indicates the usual $10.00 charge for each crew member over the typical 3 that we can have for our registration fee. If I want my boys to come (crew members #4 and #5) do I just need to pay the extra $20?

Thanks!

DE

dhardison
04-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Kevin Ruck (or anyone who knows) is there a limit to the number of crew members we can have at this event? On MotorsportsReg it indicates the usual $10.00 charge for each crew member over the typical 3 that we can have for our registration fee. If I want my boys to come (crew members #4 and #5) do I just need to pay the extra $20?

Thanks!

DE That's the way it was last year (and for all OVR races for that matter). I usually sign up the three free members via MotorsportsReg.com, then just add any additional crew when I personally register at the track. That way they can pay the $10 themselves when they arrive and if they don't show I haven't wasted the $$$.

S2_ITBVW
04-18-2012, 06:22 PM
The official schedule for this weekend is posted here:

http://www.grand-am.com/schedule/event.cfm?series=r&eid=3439

This looks way, way cool. Perhaps the niftiest part is the fact that we will be on track qualifying immediately before the Rolex race, which means lots and lots of folks will indeed be "accidently" watching us.

13 racers are registered thus far at motorsportsreg.com . . .

R2 Racing
04-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Sounds like you're free for the Grattan regional :happy204:
Gonna be at/in a wedding for one of my best friends that weekend.

That's the way it was last year (and for all OVR races for that matter). I usually sign up the three free members via MotorsportsReg.com, then just add any additional crew when I personally register at the track. That way they can pay the $10 themselves when they arrive and if they don't show I haven't wasted the $$$.
What Dan said.

Ordered my new go-fast parts for the ITA car yesterday, hoping to make it's front end work closer to the FP cars (i.e. good). If it works how I'm hoping, and with the track having an insane amount of Hoosier R6 compound scrubbed into the it (Rolex & CTSCC "Continental" tires), I'm really looking forward to seeing how it goes there!

downingracing
05-01-2012, 11:59 AM
25 Entered as of today - NO ITR and NO ITC yet... Come on guys! Only 1 ITC car last year (this year is a points event - as requested) and all the 'conversation' about including ITR (finally got ITR added - as requested). Some of us pushed hard to get ITR-ITC & SM included in this weekend. Let’s get some entries and use this opportunity to showcase IT/SM!

jumbojimbo
05-01-2012, 01:21 PM
25 Entered as of today - NO ITR and NO ITC yet... Come on guys! Only 1 ITC car last year (this year is a points event - as requested) and all the 'conversation' about including ITR (finally got ITR added - as requested). Some of us pushed hard to get ITR-ITC & SM included in this weekend. Let’s get some entries and use this opportunity to showcase IT/SM!

Might get a couple of the new ITC guys using it for the track time. As a points race it doesn't really work for us because it is only a single race (when it could be at least a double, or even better a triple IMO), and with so many faster classes the odds of ITC actually getting to race together is fairly slim. (edit: note: I'm not complaining, just explaining our thought process.)

But, if Grattan falls thru, it is the logical replacement. It's nearing the time for the boys to fish or cut bait on Grattan...

Racerlinn
05-01-2012, 04:56 PM
I'll be swarming around in the middle with a bunch of Meotters. I may need to start taking "donations" from bump draft partners on the back straight....

dhardison
05-01-2012, 07:00 PM
I'll be swarming around in the middle with a bunch of Meotters. I may need to start taking "donations" from bump draft partners on the back straight.... Yeah, I'll help push you along.... :D

downingracing
05-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Might get a couple of the new ITC guys using it for the track time. As a points race it doesn't really work for us because it is only a single race (when it could be at least a double, or even better a triple IMO), and with so many faster classes the odds of ITC actually getting to race together is fairly slim....

I appreciate the info. Thanks! Making it a points event (yea - just a single) was done to 'help' make it attractive to the ITC folks who told me they didn't come last year due to no points being available.

The # of classes will not have an impact on classes running together. Just like any other regional weekend, there will be backmarkers. But putting them behind you shouldn't be an issue.

This will be a great weekend!! We tried to adjust (points event and inviting ITR) to draw a full field. We will see how it turns out.

Racerlinn
05-03-2012, 08:53 AM
28 cars registered over 5 weeks out - I think it's shaping up rather nicely.

jay05
05-03-2012, 05:57 PM
What's it like in the paddock? Would there be room for a motorhome, truck, trailer and racecar or would we be limited on the number of vehicles per registered car?

downingracing
05-03-2012, 07:46 PM
What's it like in the paddock? Would there be room for a motorhome, truck, trailer and racecar or would we be limited on the number of vehicles per registered car?

Should be plenty of space for those things. Unlike a regular weekend, there is limited space for 'other' vehicles. We have a specific paddock area blocked off for us, But there is PLENTY of parking (close) for visitors/friends/family/crew...

Racerlinn
05-04-2012, 08:25 AM
What about giant, can-be-seen-from-space, "oh look, magneseum!" fire pits? :)

jumbojimbo
05-04-2012, 12:18 PM

And after my whining, I went ahead and registered. And as Scott pointed out, Friday can be a real blowout since we don't have to be on track Saturday until late afternoon.

downingracing
05-04-2012, 12:26 PM
And after my whining, I went ahead and registered. And as Scott pointed out, Friday can be a real blowout since we don't have to be on track Saturday until late afternoon.

I know you will have a blast!! (And I definately didn't think you were whining - I appreciate the honest feedback and recommendations.) Yea - Friday evening should be a 'great' time!!! There will be plenty of beer and probably even a good bit of food and campfire!

S2_ITBVW
05-06-2012, 01:21 PM
35 registered:
IT7: 2
ITA: 4
ITB: 4
ITC: 3
ITS: 4
Spec Miata: 18

Everyone will have someone to race with!

downingracing
05-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Class Totals:
ITA: 4
ITB: 6
ITC: 5
ITS: 4
Spec Miata: 20

Looking like it will be a GREAT weekend!!! Still looking for those ITR entries!

S2_ITBVW
05-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Looks like the ITC folks have decided that this is worth attending. 47 entries.

What is the maximum capacity of the track?

R2 Racing
05-10-2012, 06:27 AM
A "waiting list" will start at 65 entries. Looks like I need to get my butt signed up! Awesome that the ITC guys jumped on this - thank you! Sounds like I need to see if Bob wants to run mine now. If my new trans for the ITA car isn't ready, I might just run it.

downingracing
05-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Just checked - 50 entered so far - Class Totals:
ITA: 5
ITB: 6
ITC: 9
ITS: 5
Spec Miata: 23

Racerlinn
05-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Oy, that's a lotta Miatea...

jay05
05-10-2012, 02:43 PM
What starter stand are we using? Front or back?

dhardison
05-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Oy, that's a lotta Miatea...

Yup. Matt/Kevin, has there been any thought given to the possibility of a split start? (ITR, ITS, ITA, SM) (IT7, ITB, ITC)

During last years race it was a swerve-fest in turn one for those of us starting behind the Meotters. It seems that a few of them tried to mate going in to T1 which caused a grassy excursion for many B and C cars.

ITA_honda
05-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Yup. Matt/Kevin, has there been any thought given to the possibility of a split start? (ITR, ITS, ITA, SM) (IT7, ITB, ITC)

During last years race it was a swerve-fest in turn one for those of us starting behind the Meotters. It seems that a few of them tried to mate going in to T1 which caused a grassy excursion for many B and C cars.

If no split start it would be better starting on the backstraight, IMO. While most of us are careful, the last thing we need is to take out half the field in the first turn...which could happen at the end of the backstraight too. :blink:

924Guy
05-11-2012, 08:02 AM
If no split start it would be better starting on the backstraight, IMO. While most of us are careful, the last thing we need is to take out half the field in the first turn...which could happen at the end of the backstraight too. :blink:

Well, it is a pro race weekend... don't we want to show the same quality of racing in the support race? :D:eclipsee_steering:

jumbojimbo
05-11-2012, 10:15 AM
The Friday schedule shows tech from 8am-11:30am.
do we all have to be there by 11:30am to run Friday night's session?

Racerlinn
05-11-2012, 10:26 AM

All IT cars get to use the pit exit lane at T1, all Meoters have to use the track? :happy204:

924Guy
05-11-2012, 11:04 AM
All IT cars get to use the pit exit lane at T1, all Meoters have to use the track? :happy204:
Based on Downing's investigations, that'll probably happen by default! Will surprise the F outta the bottom half of the SM field to suddenly have a buncha old hatchbacks in front of 'em!

Never see it coming... :p

R2 Racing
05-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Dan - I'm not even leaving work until like 2pm Friday, so I sure hope those tech hours are incorrect.

Can't say I know about split starts or starting location. Will try and find out.

Just registered for ITA - looking forward to lapping Linn.

darthmonkeyIT
05-11-2012, 11:36 AM

Was proposed and shot down last year to have a split start. The IT guys all liked the idea - the Miata's complained about it. I can't attend this year sadly but I would prefer a split start if I was after the miata spin fest in turn one at last years event. I managed to sneak through without a grassy excursion.

I have a few friends that are not attending this year because of the miata's last year sadly. A select few Miata guys decided that bumping a 240z's solid aluminum rear bumper was the best course to try and get around him. They could not out run the 240 in a straight line but the Miata's had the advantage in the corners. Rather then trying to setup a turn to make his pass they (or maybe he) continued to smack his rear end going through turns. After the race the miata driver came over to my friends paddock to complain about how he needs to get out of his way or he will keep smacking him. Who knew the point of racing was pull over out of the way of the guy behind you?

So unfortunatly my friends don't want to deal with bumper repair again because of some of the Miata drivers. Honestly from the Miata races I have watched as a corner worker I am always cautious when starting with the SM field.

dhardison
05-11-2012, 12:42 PM
All IT cars get to use the pit exit lane at T1, all Meoters have to use the track? :happy204: Great idea! Unfortunately last year I started on the outside and couldn't get over in time to use pit out. Actually during a separate event last year I was pulled over post-race by one of the stewards and asked why I took pit out at the start. I told him I had to in order to avoid a swerving Meotter. :D

Racerlinn
05-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Just registered for ITA - looking forward to lapping Linn.

Hey, you get to run away on a clear track - I gotta deal with Meotters!

(actually, I don't mind that one bit) :D

Racerlinn
05-11-2012, 02:11 PM
And something better be done about the tech hours - I can't be there until mid afternoon. I'm guessing most people will be the same.

downingracing
05-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Busy week for me - on-call at work. Short answers:

Tech will start in the morning at the posted times. They will be there all day/weekend and we are all paddocked in a group... I can't imagine it will be an issue.

I don't believe there will be a split start. I do believe there will be a conversation about keeping it 'super clean' for the first lap as things shake out.

The story above about getting hit by a Miata and the driver getting in their face after the session (about getting out of the way) - THROW PAPER ON THAT! The ONLY way to police that crap is to write the paper. Behavior like that after a session should be reported (and confirmed by witness if possible) to the CS immediately. We are all here for 'fun' and that kind of thing makes it no fun!

Up to 52 cars - WOW! Glad to see the numbers for each class growing. I'd LOVE to see the cap hit and a waiting list form!!!

ITR....... Where are you guys? I'm catching 'crap' about the lack of ITR entries after all the soapboxing I (and others) did to get the class included in this restricted race.

That is all - More as I find out and have time to post. (and the car is still in 100 pieces in the garage w/ the Glen in 2 weeks!)

downingracing
05-14-2012, 11:34 AM
53 as of right now!

Class Totals:
ITA: 8
ITB: 7
Spec Miata: 23

StephenB
05-14-2012, 05:57 PM
My ITR car now appears to be running correctly... I really really want to go, but I would have no-one to help at the track our make the drive. Still looking at options though! when does registration close?

Stephen

R2 Racing
05-14-2012, 08:12 PM
When does registration close?

Stephen
At 65 entries. There are 55 right at this moment. This is going to be awesome!:happy204:

ITA_honda
05-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Ive signed up for now. Im pretty sure I can make it. Looks like its going to be a riot. This is probably the first time Im going to admit...I wanna start from the back :D

downingracing
05-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Current count = 58!

Class Totals:
ITA: 9
ITB: 7
Spec Miata: 26

S2_ITBVW
05-16-2012, 04:05 PM

4 to go!!

The countdown begins . . .

ITA_honda
05-17-2012, 07:31 AM

4 to go!!

The countdown begins . . .

(Elevator music begins playing...)

924Guy
05-17-2012, 08:05 AM
OK, I give up. Pulled the trigger. Driver duties may be shifted, TBD, but can't let that spot go to another Spec Pinata...

downingracing
05-17-2012, 08:39 AM
And now it is 63!

Class Totals:
ITB: 9
ITS: 6
Spec Miata: 28

2 spots left! :)

Racerlinn
05-17-2012, 08:54 AM
I think I'll go have a look at craigslist for some spare fenders..... :)

Good on you Vaughan!

S2_ITBVW
05-17-2012, 09:34 AM
64!!! One spot left!!

Drum roll . . . . .

jumbojimbo
05-17-2012, 09:40 AM
ITB: 9

We're all tied up with 1 spot left, who will win bragging rights?

924Guy
05-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Sm. :(

924Guy
05-17-2012, 11:03 AM
So, with almost a 50/50 split between IT and SM, are we sure we can't get a split grid???

dhardison
05-17-2012, 11:16 AM
So, with almost a 50/50 split between IT and SM, are we sure we can't get a split grid???I'd love to see a split start, but the question is,,,,, will the SM carnage be straightened out in T1 before the IT cars get there?? Assuming they start first of course.

924Guy
05-17-2012, 12:09 PM
...and assuming they make it all the way to T1. ;)

R2 Racing
05-17-2012, 03:02 PM
I think I'll go have a look at craigslist for some spare fenders.....
I gave serious thought to renting out my ITC and/or ITB cars for this weekend, but for that exact reason, I did not. :D

edit - what makes you think the SM's would start first? That would suuuuuuuuck! Besides guys, it's not like we have overall event chief stewards for this thing. We're the side show. Just the fact they're letting us run, that's already more than we should be getting - haha!

StephenB
05-17-2012, 09:33 PM
FYI, At Grand-Am in NJ this past weekend we did it as a split start. Makes for MUCH better racing in both groups. For NJ SM was second and they did have to pass IT cars as they caught them but it was just that... a catch and pass. They didn't have to RACE them the entire time and they got to conentrate on racing eachother and when the time came they could use what was basically lap traffic to an advantage if they knew how. Likewise the IT cars caught and lapped some SM cars just as they would have and had the same types of situations.

Win Win for all involved with a Split start.

Stephen

PS: It is funny how sometimes the stewards think it's to complicated, not the drivers themselves...

S2_ITBVW
05-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Boom! 65.

That's a lot of race cars.

downingracing
05-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Boom! 65.

That's a lot of race cars.

Oh Yea!!! I'm VERY happy this event now has a waiting list! And I hope we get some 'takers' for the waiting list too! I'm hoping they have the charity dyno in the infield this year again. It was GREAT PR to take car(s) over there to do pulls. No real WOW power numbers, but we took Dan's Civic over there and it was HANDS DOWN the coolest sounding car they ran all day! Street cars that make high HP numbers are awesome, but it is hard to beat an open exhaust and that 'Honda' sound at 6500 rpm! :023:

RX555
05-19-2012, 02:43 AM
It is billed as the IT / Miata Shootout which reads like a battle to see who's the fastest, so maybe that's why there's no split start?
I had really hoped to enter this but had a few things come up that are keeping me from it. May still make it over to watch and will take lots of pics if I do.

924Guy
05-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Ooooh, infield dyno? Cool! Yeah, I'd so be up for taking the '24 over there for a few pulls. It sounds REALLY good with the "big track" pipe on it!

R2 Racing
05-19-2012, 02:55 PM
The Ohio Valley Region is having a dinner/party Friday night with pizza and some soda/beer provided, so everyone should make it a point to come over to that and hang out. My suggestion is though, as the only beer that will be at that party will be "mass produced & American", what do you guys think about having a little "Craft Brew Potluck" Friday night in additon to the OVR party? Bring a six (or twelve if you're feeling generous) of your favorite micro-brew(s), and we can all just kinda sample. I'll even bring one huge cooler for this purpose, if people are down with it. And yes, I just came up with this idea while sitting out on my back porch, enjoying the warmth, sun, and some new summer brews I just picked up.

Also, I was in contact with Tim Gilvin at Hoosier yesterday, and asked if they have any interest in sending over one of their small trailers with like one changer to support us (like they usually have at one of our regionals). Figuring pretty much everyone there will be on the Hoosier SM/R/A6, all in one combined paddock location, it might be a decent idea for all of us. I'm assuming that the gigantic Continental Tire (which are just rebranded Hoosiers anyways) setup won't want or be able to service us. I will let you know when I here back from him on this.

RacerBill
05-19-2012, 07:05 PM
I'se Numbero Uno on the wait list. At least that is what in infer from the fact that there were 65 cars registered. Someone get sick, please! Still anticipating doing the test and tune on May 31.

ITA_honda
05-20-2012, 10:02 AM
I'se Numbero Uno on the wait list. At least that is what in infer from the fact that there were 65 cars registered. Someone get sick, please! Still anticipating doing the test and tune on May 31.

YOU think WE'RE giving up OUR spots?! I think not :D

R2 Racing
05-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Hey everyone, I did talk with Terry Gilvin at Hoosier Tire Midwest, and he is going to bring over a trailer to support the IT & SM racers for this weekend. We should be able to even get him setup right in our paddock area. So if you're needing any tires or service from him, please let him know, and please pass along the word. Thanks!

Terry Gilvin
Hoosier Tire Midwest
574-936-8344

Racerlinn
05-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Kevin, you need to make sure the SM guys are aware of this.

ITA_honda
05-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Hey everyone, I did talk with Terry Gilvin at Hoosier Tire Midwest, and he is going to bring over a trailer to support the IT & SM racers for this weekend. We should be able to even get him setup right in our paddock area. So if you're needing any tires or service from him, please let him know, and please pass along the word. Thanks!

Terry Gilvin
Hoosier Tire Midwest
574-936-8344

Thank you, Kevin. Nice work

downingracing
05-22-2012, 07:03 PM
3 now on the waiting list!

RacerBill
05-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Matt: Which schedule is correct - the Mid-Ohio Schedule that says that SCCA race # 1 is on Saturday, or the Grand Am schedule that says that the SCCA session on Saturday is a Practice/Qualifying session and all the races are on Sunday.

Thanks.

R2 Racing
05-24-2012, 09:16 PM
This is correct:

We're racing Saturday afternoon in front of the big crowd! I wasn't gonna let that opportunity go by with just another boring qualifying session.

Here's our sessions.
Friday:
5:20-5:50pm - Qualifying #1

Saturday:
3:05-3:20pm - 10 Lap Race #1

Sunday:
9:10-9:40am - Qualifying #2
12:50-1:20pm - 10 Lap Race #2
3:15-4:00pm - 19 Laps Trophy Race

Obviously Q1 sets the grid for R1, and subsequently Q2 for R2. The grid for the Trophy Race (which is a full GLDiv points race with tech and all!) will most likely be set by average finishing position from R1 & R2, with fastest lap time in either race deciding ties.

RacerBill
05-25-2012, 04:55 PM
So, the schedule that Grand-AM posted in not correct, right?

downingracing
05-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Full + 4 on the waiting list! Not bad - Not bad at all!

jay05
05-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Are we able to get on the property Thursday evening and what's the limit on crew overage?

RacerBill
05-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Another question for Matt - with 65 cars, will we start on the front straight or use the pro start?

jumbojimbo
06-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Man, I hope this forecast holds out.

Fri Jun 8 77° 56° Partly Cloudy Chance of rain: 10%
Sat Jun 9 81° 60° Sunny Chance of rain: 0%
Sun Jun 10 85° 64° Sunny Chance of rain: 0%

S2_ITBVW
06-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Yes, the weather forecast does not get much better than that!

We are also thinking about towing up on Thursday evening. Any word on whether we will be allowed on the property? Also, will there be someone there to tell us where we can paddock?

This is going to be fun! :D

RacerBill
06-04-2012, 11:12 PM
I talked to the OVR folks this past weekend. I believe that they will be there Thursday evening to take care of our paddock location. On-track activity starts with a Trans-Am session at 0800 Friday, so there will be plenty of arriving going on Thursday.

Tentative location is just South of the road that goes between the middle and upper paddocks, and just West of the Mid-Ohio School car stockade (right by the showers). It will probably extend South from there, how far I don't know.

BTW, remember that this is a Pro weekend, with thousands of spectators walking around. Be sure to be able to secure tools, valuables, women, etc. Don't leave anything lying around unless you have someone in you paddock.

Still no word on where we will start, front straight or back straight. Pretty sure we will be using the club course with the kink before Turn Two. That right, the Keyhole is now Turn Two. Had to use the new numbers this past weekend. Lots of confusion! Hope they pass out new course maps at registration, so that we can get used to the new numbers.

S2_ITBVW
06-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks, Bill. You have confirmed what I read in the event documentation. It does indicate camping is available on Thursday.

D

R2 Racing
06-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Some info from Jude Summers, our race chair.

Registration with (OVR) Gloria Sheets for Drivers, Crew, Over Crew,Tech, Stewards and Registrars only!

All other participants/workers should already be listed on the SCCA Pro Worker list, and should go the Mid Ohio Worker Window.

Hours are Friday 8 AM – 7 PM
Saturday 7 AM – 11:00 AM
Sunday 8 AM- 11:00 AM

Other Information:
Entrants may bring car to track on Thursday eve, but must register 1st thing in the morning. Cars must be taken to the area designated by Mid Ohio. It will be roped off area in upper paddock towards the permanent showers. Absolutely no tents allowed in paddock area!!! If you want to camp in a tent, you must go to a location in the designated Mid Ohio camping areas.

Unless told differently at registration, Tech is planned to be held in the designated paddock area.

Friday
There is a mandatory driver meeting on Friday June 8th @ 4:30PM in our paddock area! It’s advisable to be race ready (including driver suit) at that time, as cars go out at 5:20PM Meeting may be short but then again depending on questions, may not.

5:20 - 5:50 p.m. Practice/Qualifying - Improved Touring / Spec Miata Shoot Out

Saturday
3:05 - 3:25 p.m. Improved Touring / Spec Miata Shoout Out Race #1 (10 laps)

Sunday
9:10 - 9:40 a.m. Qualifying - Improved Touring / Spec Miata Shoot Out
12:50 - 1:20 p.m. Improved Touring / Spec Miata Shoot Out Race #2 (10 laps)
3:15 - 4:00 p.m. Improved Touring / Spec Miata Shoot Out Race #3 (19 laps)

Thank you for your participation and your support of our event.
Jude Summers, OVR Race Chairman

The ITA car is coming together. Might even get to start it up tonight.

Racerlinn
06-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Kevin, is the Mid Ohio Worker Window the same building that Registration is normally in?

RacerBill
06-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Steve: That's were it's been in the past - First window on the left, facing the building.

13GT3
06-07-2012, 07:09 AM
[QUOTE=R2 Racing;336916]The Ohio Valley Region is having a dinner/party Friday night with pizza and some soda/beer provided, so everyone should make it a point to come over to that and hang out. My suggestion is though, as the only beer that will be at that party will be "mass produced & American", what do you guys think about having a little "Craft Brew Potluck" Friday night in additon to the OVR party? Bring a six (or twelve if you're feeling generous) of your favorite micro-brew(s), and we can all just kinda sample. I'll even bring one huge cooler for this purpose, if people are down with it. And yes, I just came up with this idea while sitting out on my back porch, enjoying the warmth, sun, and some new summer brews I just picked up.

I like it! Fat Tire on the way.

downingracing
06-10-2012, 08:27 PM
GREAT WEEKEND! THANK YOU to all of the drivers that attended the event! Please post (or PM) your positive and negative feedback. I want to ensure that if we are invited back to do this again that we are working to make the event even better!

And I had a BLAST with the SMs! Those top 4-5 were having a great battle and I had the best seat in the house for that show! :D

jumbojimbo
06-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Great event. Even though we were just a small part of the weekend we felt very welcome and had a great time. I'm glad ITC decided to attend.

My sunday race video is uploading to http://youtu.be/OzAH5SKcw3k
5% loaded, should be there by midnight.

Near the end of lap 7 I can see why #91 Miata was mad at me. I was focused on the BMW losing a wheel bearing and I didn't see him coming, he probably thought I blocked him on purpose.

Racerlinn
06-11-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm tired. And the Yuengling kegs were a horrible, horrible, horrible idea..... :aj:

JLawton
06-11-2012, 09:40 AM
<calling Bill Stevens, calling Bill Stevens.......>

Looking for a report on the new car!!!

ITA_honda
06-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Great Event! Everyone I talked to had a fantastic time. Kudos to OVR SCCA! I still remember why SM's and ITA's arent in the same run group anymore :D Holy Miata's! Was catching Matt Downing for 2nd but had to get around 6 Miata's. That took the whole race! So Downing turned on his angry headlights and ran away

RacerBill
06-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Congratulations to OVR for organizing this event. I'll voice my only complaint right up front, and that had to do with the track, not the region - having to paddock near the showers was great - that's where I usually paddock. But having to camp (sorry, not all of us have campers, trailers, etc.) was a royal pain. When we needed something, it was in the other location. Up the hill, down the hill, up the hill all weekend long. OK that's off my chest.
As to the rest of the event, I can't say enough good things about it. I was apprehensive about bringing a new car that I had never driven, and was SOOO different from the old car, to an event with 65 cars in the group (not to mention that half of them were WreckMeOtters). We got over that in the first session when I discovered myself getting angry with cars that were doing there own thing and holding me up. Another grand awakening when I realized that the 25 cars behind me on the grid were there because they were SLOWER than me!
Hats off to the Miata drivers. Everything was great until race 2 on Sunday. First time I had to drive through an obstacle course of pieces, parts, bumper covers (some flying through the air!) etc.
Race 3 was going to be a challange, with both the heat of the day, and the length of the race (17 laps). Decided to use the poor man's cool suit - two zip lock bags of ice between the driver's suit and the long underwear. Worked like a charm. On the first lap, I managed to get by at least 3 cars that had started ahead of me. Another first. The race went great until the entrance curb going into turn 9 (used to be known as 11 before the pro sanctioning bodies caved into the tv producers who couldn't deal with 16 stations and needed to have only 13) decided to move to the right about a foot. Taping the brake produced a snap spin, 180 degrees, and sent me backward into the gravel. but the car pulled itself out and since I did not hit anything, we were able to finish the race.
Anyway, congratulations to the winners. The spectators seemed to like our cars. Heard comments about seeing cars that did not cost megabucks, and cars that they could recognize. Hope the recruiting did well. Funny, I actually tell you if there were any spectators there - I was just concentrating on the racing. And it was fun. I can't tell you how many little mini dices I had with other cars, but it was more than I have had in all my racing up to this point. I know that some drivers went home with work to do, but I hope that they all return to this event next year (I'll just ave to find a way to make my camping tent to look like a stacker trailer! And sign up early. I will NOT be on the waiting list next year!

RacerBill
06-11-2012, 11:40 PM
<calling Bill Stevens, calling Bill Stevens.......>

Looking for a report on the new car!!!

Jeff: I sent you an email a little earlier. Car ran flawlessly!. Did not have a chance to change any settings (sway bar, shocks), so we just said we'll take it like it is. You're right though - keep it off the curbs! :D

Hope things are going well.

Talk to you soon.

PS - see my post just before this one.

924Guy
06-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Very very glad to hear things went well for you, Bill, finally! You've certainly earned it! ;)

Will see you at the IT-Fest...

RacerBill
06-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Very very glad to hear things went well for you, Bill, finally! You've certainly earned it! ;)

Will see you at the IT-Fest...

Thanks very much, Vaughn. And thanks to everyone who has been so supportive over the years. It's because of the friendships in the club that I am still here.

jumbojimbo
06-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Good:
1. Low entry fee
2. High track time
3. Late start on Sat made for low stress Friday night and Saturday morning.
4. No hassles from GA or MO even though we were clearly the red headed stepchild. Felt welcomed.
5. Overall vibe of the event was low key fun, not high pressure stress.
6. Lots of cars on track means constant action. It is multi-class racing, but it wasn't much worse than most normal races.
7. Registration and tech very smooth.

Bad:
1. Two qualifying sessions and two qualifying races for 1 actual race. If I were king Saturday's race would have been a sanction number race, not a qualifying race. And I would have made Sunday Qual-Race-Race to make it a triple weekend. But it should be at least a double.
2. Overvcrowded restrooms. Not under your control but that was quite a shock to see a 5 person line for the shitter 32 minutes before we were due on track. I would not have wanted to be at the back of that line.
3. Inability to tent camp in the paddock.
4. It was kind of a hassle getting my beacon set up. Neither GA or SCCA pro would let me go across pit lane to turn it on. Not a surprise, but a little disappointing.

Not as good as I expected:
1. GA races were generally boring. It was nice to be there on a pro weekend, but it wasn't much more interesting than being paired with a national event. Most of the pro goodness just came from seeing the teams, the cars and the prep, not the track sessions.
2. 19 lap championship race sounded like fun, but that made Sunday a long long day. We survived, but if someting had caused the race to be cut to 16 laps I would not have complained.

Not as bad as I expected:
1. Overal crowdedness. We were able to drive across the bridge and watch virtually every corner. Minor inconviences, but overall not bad.
2. Paddock crowdedness. It was tight but we had enough space. We had some civilians wandering thru our paddock but nothing disappeared.

You got lucky on the schedule this year and that helped with entries. With only the Gattan and Nelson races to compete with, this was almost the first race of the year and people were itching to get on track. If you could make it a double race next year it would help to continue to draw entries. If it is a single race again, people may say "been there, done that".

downingracing
06-12-2012, 09:20 PM
A+ write-up! THANKS for the feedback! Others who raced: PLEASE do the same! The more feedback we get, the better we can try to do in the future (if we get an invite back).

scottirwin
06-12-2012, 09:53 PM
My 1st competition race after drivers school. I was a little apprehensive about all the cars but it worked out great, and I had a lot of fun!

- Wish we could have camped in the paddock
- Wish all that track time would have counted towards more than one race.

Overall though, great event that stayed right on time. Hope to see everyone next year.

Scott Irwin
'85 Honda Civic
#81 - ITC

ITA_honda
06-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Way better than I expected!

Here were my concerns BEFORE the weekend
1. Too crowded
2. Being paddocked way the hell up in no mans land
3. Random people walking thru our paddock
4. Worried about people stealing things/equipment

Much to my relief:
1. Wasnt as crowded as I thought it was going to be, yes the paddock was a little tight but looking at the big picture not bad at all. AND we were close to the false grid/bathrooms

2. Most spectators left us alone, I know that sounds bad but the last thing I want is random people just going thru our paddock and doing who knows what.

3. The good thing about us being paddocked as a group is you didnt constantly have to worry about people taking/stealing things. As regional racers, we are a tight knit community. We look out after each other. A big relief.

Could be improved:
1. The only thing that got me bent was drivers couldnt get in to the main paddock area. I was able to because I worked for the school but for other team members/drivers the gate keeper kicked us out. We are drivers too, we signed the waivers. Let us in.

2. This isnt a complaint and Im glad for the hefty track time. But the 19 lap race was a bit long (in my opinion) Wouldnt complain if the race was a few laps shorter and maybe take away one of the qualifying races, and as Jim said, make it in to a points race. Again this is NOT by any means a complaint.

OVERALL:
Would I attend this event again? Yes.
Great job by OVR for a well planned/run event.

Racerlinn
06-13-2012, 03:15 PM
As stated security was fine, I had several people stop and want to talk about the car and SCCA racing. Stil made sure everything was out of site and /or locked up. But that is unfortunately a "new" requirement for any race weekend.

Sunday morning I got my qual hot lap in early, came in, went and got a shower with no line, and was walking back into the paddock as the rest of the cars were coming in from the end of the session. Dropping a duece was no issue, just time it with a trip down to T&S and the bathrooms right next door. Planning my friends, planning.... :)

Greg, I walked around everywhere. As long as I had my SCCA credential, nobody said a thing to me.

As for camping in the paddock, you just had to have the right type of "camper". It was proven a 911 could be used as one with the correct alcoholic intake.

Saturday being a tru race with it's own sanction number would be a good thing. Yes, it costs the region more, but....

I loved everything else. If it hadn't been 92 degrees when we came off track, I think 19 laps would have been fine Sunday. I did manage to melt my front tires. And my rear tires came home larger than when I arrived with the amount of OPR on them. It looks like I have re-caps.....

tom91ita
06-14-2012, 09:23 AM
this event should be on my radar for next year. early on i was hoping/planning to go.

i did grattan on Memorial day and the others on the LeMons team voted to do Autobahn that same weekend.

RX555
06-15-2012, 07:05 AM
What's that, not only did somebody watch the race, they took photos? :p It looked fun to me and wished I could have had the RX7 out there.

Photos: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v217/rx555/Racing/Mid-Ohio%20Grand%20Am%202012/SCCA%20IT%20SM%20Shootout/