PDA

View Full Version : Rain tire issue

wepsbee
03-20-2012, 04:56 PM
So do you all think that as far as rain tires are concerned 2 sets are needed.
1 set, possibly full tread RA-1's, for intermediate, slightly damp, partially damp, drizzle conditions
1 set , possibly Hoosier rains, for actual its raining and the track is WET conditions.
I was told Hoosiers will destroy themselves if not constantly cooled by standing water so a damp track would be out for them, also RA-1's are not as sticky in the wet so they
would be significantly slower.
Damp, drizzley tracks seem to be the often seen condition.
This is why 2 sets seem to be needed. Pricey upgrade.
Also do you generally go to a narrower tread for rains, some do some dont?

lawtonglenn
03-20-2012, 05:31 PM
we use

Hankook Z214s for dry 225/45-15 on 15x7
Toyo RA1s (unshaved) for intermediates 205/50-15 on 15x6.5
Hoosier wets for standing water 205/50-15 on 15x6.5

hope this helps :)

note that Hoosier has replaced the "Wet" with "Wet H2O"
and that there seem to be deeper tread RA1s entering the
fray... no experience with either sorry

TStiles
03-20-2012, 05:42 PM
FWIW : At the TWS SuperTour event ( ITA miata running STL ) a couple of weeks ago I was stuck with only full tread RA1's for the wet sessions. I got smoked by the guys on the new Hoosier SM H20 tire. There is a huge difference.

Sunday afternoon it stopped raining , but the track was very wet in places , and drying in other places. There was no way I was going to win on full tread RA1's so I rolled the dice , ran Hankook slicks , I was able to maintain decent pace in the early part of the race ( 13/14/15 that lead onto the front straight were decently dry ) and was able to run some decent laps and pass from mid race to end.

If I were going to run an intermediate wet , I would forget the RA1's and just run a worn set of Hoosier H20's and save my new Hoosier H20's for full rain.

BTW : I heard that the Hoosier tire held up pretty well in the semi wet

Matt93SE
03-20-2012, 05:57 PM
To add to Trey's comments from the TWS event, many of us went out in the same run group on full wets-- I'd run about 3 events on my HWETs and still had probably 80% of the tire remaining. After running on a drying track (it was sprinkling when we started the race and standing water in some turns), it was almost completely dry at the end of the race, and I used up probably 1/2 the tread. my HWETs would now make great intermediates.

I was also running 245/45/17s, which I run 225/45/17 dry tires. (got them on sale for $115ea new from Hoosier, so I couldn't be picky about the size!)

anyway, running the HWETs on a drying track will greatly accelerate the wear, and the car will handle like it's still wet. I was sliding all over the place from the tread squirm... But it was 50 and raining when we went out, and I don't regret the decision to run a rain tire. I wouldn't have made it to the finish had I started on a dry tire.
....... Intermediates would have been the way to go there... A Hoosier A6 with small grooves would have been awesome for that race..

JLawton
03-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Dan, i've never run intermediates. If the track had any dampness, it will keep the new Hoosiers cool enough plus they will be much stickier than an intermediate. The toughest part is trying to make the right decision on what to put on. When it's "iffy" you've got a 50/50 chance of getting it right. At this point I wouldn't spend the money.

gran racing
03-21-2012, 08:04 AM
If I had the budget for tires and rims, I'd have the Hoosier R drys, a set of the autocross compound for damp or cool conditions (Hoosier or Hankooks), Hoosier H20, and a set of Dirt Stockers.

I'd just go with a set of H2Os and hope for rain.

joeg
03-21-2012, 08:05 AM
I always have intermediates. I use Kumho Victoracers (unshaved)--a great tire.

Since they are no longer made, however, I think a Proxes will work as will a shaved set of Hoosier wets.

Yes shaved. That is what Hoosier initially recommended for intermediates.

Hoosier Wets have a definite sizing problem. If you notice, 13, 14 and 15 inch sizes all have the same overall diameter and are all on the big side.

shwah
03-21-2012, 08:47 AM
I have always just run R6 in the damp. Have rains for if it is more than that. It will probably kill them if it is now 'wet enough', but hey we just bring them to show them to the clouds and make sure it stays dry anyway...

Matt93SE
03-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Heh... I bought my rains last spring and have used them 4 race weekends already.. and I'm in Houston where we had some of the worst drought in history last year. :shrug:

tom_sprecher
03-24-2012, 02:05 PM
I have four 13" unshaved RA1's that I bought for drivers school 6 years ago that were used for one session and kept bagged in my basement ever since. I would sell them for cheap if anyone is interested.

ShelbyRacer
03-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Toyo R1Rs are my choice over the RA1 for intermediate (or a less expensive wet). Get them shaved to 4 if you truly want an "intermediate" tire.

Edit: I forgot to add- I personally run "dry" tires until there is siginificant standing water. At my second driver's school at Summit, we had several "damp" sessions, and I was able to easily work traffic on regular tires (can't remember if they were Hankooks or Kumho 710s). I only went to a treaded tire when it rained steadily and we got the T5 entry river crossing and Lake Apex at T7.

Knestis
03-26-2012, 08:02 AM
I feel strongly that the softer tread of a Hoosier dry tire will make up for any water-channeling effect of the tread on something less sticky like a Toyo. If there is standing water it's time for wets. If not, dry tires.

K

JS154
03-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Runoffs qualifying 2011, Friday, damp track - anything off the dry line was really slick, with no standing water. Intermediates would have been great for racing in those conditions.

Matt Rowe
03-31-2012, 03:45 AM
I feel strongly that the softer tread of a Hoosier dry tire will make up for any water-channeling effect of the tread on something less sticky like a Toyo. If there is standing water it's time for wets. If not, dry tires.

With the right track temperature and tread compound I agree. I used to have a set of tires that were great in a warm (80's) summer rain, run them in a light drizzle in the fall (50's) and it was a completely different experience.

RJ's325ITS
04-09-2012, 01:40 PM
In a wet track or damped I stick to my dry tires (BFG's R1), and manage some of the small puddles, but when it's raining and the puddles go from small to medium potensially becoming big puddles I use the new Pilot Super Sport.... I was driving circles around guys on full thread RA-1s and hossier intermediates.... The problem with the PSS is that they offer soooo much grip until they offer none, in dry condition is a super progressive tire but in wet it bites you in the ass.