PDA

View Full Version : mk3 / 4 vw gti parts?

Anviltester
03-19-2012, 08:01 PM
i have aquired and am about to start building a 95 golf and a 02 golf for itb class. where would one need too look for things like computers, suspension, etc.? any and all help would be appreciated so i can start ordering parts and such and get these builds underway.

Knestis
03-19-2012, 09:59 PM
I'd start with what Cameron recommends... Between Pablo and Tristan's car, we've tried a lot of options.

Anyone know if Tom Kelly ever finished the MkIV his shop was working on with Beran Peter (I think) ever got finished?

K

Anviltester
03-20-2012, 08:54 AM
thanks. i had a timing and logistical issue on tristans car and missed it before it sold. we will def be pushing the envelope of the rules and making a bunch of the parts ourselves (i have a full cnc machine shop) but thats the whole fun of racing and building these things. i suppose i will start calling around and see what i can learn.

1stgen
03-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I have a bunch of mkiv stuff and some mkiii, i live in the albany n.y. Area if that helps. What r u looking for?

Anviltester
03-21-2012, 10:11 AM
im down in atlantabut grew up near you. when i get a list of parts ill pm ya. thx.

1stgen
03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Thats funny, just imported me a woman from the atlanta area to here. Funny....send me pm and if i'm heading to see her family this spring we can get together. She has a house in lawrenceville.

D. Ellis-Brown
03-21-2012, 04:47 PM
At present there are 3 MK III VW's racing in Central Florida, and at least 1 and maybe 2 more under construction..... I had the first Jetta, and tried two different chips in the ECM, one Custom from GIAC and then Colin from Techtonics supplied 2.....could never get the A/F Ratio to where we wanted...... Installed a MegaSquirt 3 years ago and it has worked great. A/F ratio is where we wanted it and even the ignition timing is back down to 32 instead of the 36 with the GIAC... More HP and Torque. David Boles at Atlantic Autoworks in Melbourne Fl, installed mine and David is now building himself a MkIII GTI for ITB..... I highly recommend the MegaSquirt..... All 3 MKIII's in CFR have MegaSquirts installed by AAW......His # 321-254-1344..... Our car has been quite successful..... Deuce Keane's Honda also has been Squirted by AAW.....AAW has also installed Squirts in MK II's with Digafant, and several ITA Miata's.... We looked at the MK IV,.... The MKIII was similar enough to the MKII's that there was not to big learning curve.... But the MKIV engine and transmission configurations were a whole new ball game so we did not persue looking for a car..... Might reconsider it if we ever build a new car...... If I can be of further help, ask..... There are some items that I could recommend about the MKIII..... Dr. K's experience along with Cameron are also top notch...... David Ellis-Brown, Indialantic, Florida

Anviltester
03-21-2012, 08:43 PM
anything you can suggest would be much appreciated. im calling around getting all the info i can so i can sort through it and get the best and right parts for the builds. shine, techtonics, etc. any numbers and m=names of others i need to talk to would be great.

1stgen
03-22-2012, 04:18 PM
anything you can suggest would be much appreciated. im calling around getting all the info i can so i can sort through it and get the best and right parts for the builds. shine, techtonics, etc. any numbers and m=names of others i need to talk to would be great.

There is a lot of differing opinions on setting these cars up...pm me ur # and we'll talk. If i share my opinions on here i'll ruffle a few feathers.

Knestis
03-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Stiff in front, soft in the rear!

Knestis
03-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Soft in the front, stiff in the rear!

Knestis
03-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Neither of you knows what you're talking about. You've got to prevent rear toe changes.

Knestis
03-22-2012, 06:25 PM
That's ancient thinking. Dynamic rear toe FTMFW !!!11!

Knestis
03-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Whew. Now that we have THAT out of the way... :)

K

1stgen
03-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Lolocoster