PDA

View Full Version : Engine accessory drive and brackets

CRallo
03-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Can we relocate/rearrange our engine driven accessories? Use aftermarket accessory brackets?

I read the GCR again and I think I know what the answer is, but I'm going to ask this anyways... Please share your thoughts, thanks guys!

Ron Earp
03-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Nein.

Looked and looked for that sort of allowance so I wouldn't have to run a silly "AC DELETE" pulley and bracket on the stang that was a factory part if the stang had no AC.

I came to the conclusion no re-routing and no non-factory mounts/brackets.

CRallo
03-16-2012, 08:32 PM
I was afraid that someone would agree...

You know that wasn't the answer I wanted right?

In regards to the A/C system: D.3.e "Air conditioning systems may be removed in whole or in part" Are you not covered there? seems to me your situation may have been discussed on here... I'll go search. -------> looks like that discussion was not regarding the accessory drive part of that system or it's mounting.

Ron Earp
03-16-2012, 09:55 PM
In regards to the A/C system: D.3.e "Air conditioning systems may be removed in whole or in part" Are you not covered there?

Sure, but I'm not covered to re-route the belt to account for the AC being missing. Fortunately 94-95 Mustangs could be had without AC and Ford offered a AC delete pulley which I used and mounts to the AC bracket. But, what I'd like to do is remove the entire AC mount since that is legal, but to do so would require me to re-route the belt path entirely, something that isn't covered. So, I got to remove the AC but not the AC mount which is pretty heavy.

CRallo
03-16-2012, 10:10 PM
That is a very strict interpretation... better safe than sorry though.

What are the odds of getting a change to address this? Does changing accessory brackets, moving an engine mounted accessory and/or changing belt routing open any pandora's boxes? Wiring and plumbing is already pretty open. mmm...

Ron Earp
03-16-2012, 11:42 PM
What are the odds of getting a change to address this? Does changing accessory brackets, moving an engine mounted accessory and/or changing belt routing open any pandora's boxes?

You know me - don't race under weight, have an IT legal motor, drivetrain, chassis, suspension, and I think you're good. I could care less what you do with wiring, pulleys, washer bottles, AC, motor mounts, bushings, tranny mounts, etc., but I don't make IT rules.

Question - what are you trying to solve?

CRallo
03-17-2012, 01:50 PM
You know me - don't race under weight, have an IT legal motor, drivetrain, chassis, suspension, and I think you're good. I could care less what you do with wiring, pulleys, washer bottles, AC, motor mounts, bushings, tranny mounts, etc., but I don't make IT rules.

Question - what are you trying to solve?

I hear ya, and am with ya...

All my plumbing and wiring all wants to be in the same place and the whole LF of the engine bay is empty so I was hoping that I could rearrange things a bit... Also, my P/S lines cross the engine bay for no good reason other than the location of the pump. This was "corrected" on the 91 and up cars, but that is a different spec line...

My other option is to move my under the hood fuse box, which I think would be legal... but I'd rather be able to do both.

JeffYoung
03-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Accessories have to stay in the same place and bracketry has to remain stock, OEM equivalent of stock.

Not sure on the fuse box. Rules say wiring can be replaced or modified. Some people, in my view, take an overly strict view of modify. For me, moving the fuse box would be fine. For them, maybe not.

Z3_GoCar
03-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Here's a hypothetical what if....

What if the car never came without A/C, so there is no A/C idler pulley. If you remove the pump you've just changed the belt routing, or maybe removed a belt that only ran the A/C pump. You'll agree that belt length is one of those items we're allowed to change, because you'll have to change it with an under-drive kit.

My point is that IISYCYC, so rerouting belts is allowed as long as you're removing the A/C "in whole". Just as it doesn't tell you how to port match, you can do it how ever gets you the most power, as long as it's within the one inch rule.

Next what if....

What if the bracket only holds the A/C compressor, "in whole" would seem to cover this bracket...

Andy Bettencourt
03-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Various thoughts:

Removal of a bracket that is part of something allowed to removed in whole: legal
Removal of that bracket if it also performs another function not mentioned: illegal
The resultant 'reroute' of the belts due to legally removing a bracket and pulley: legal (provided you don't have to add any other items to facilitate that to work)
A reroute of the belt(s) that entails the addition or modification of anything not specifically allowed: illegal

Fuse box Is not wiring. It may be part of the wiring diagram as a part in-line with said wiring but it's not wiring IMHO. Its a stand alone part in which wires attach.