PDA

View Full Version : Changing lifters

S2_ITBVW
03-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Hey everyone,

We are fiddling with odds and ends and one of the things we are working on is eliminating a bit of a clickity-click that we have in the engine. We do not think it's a valve noise. Instead, we think the lifters are clicking. We pulled out the lifters and found that the little "button" under and inside every single one will not move. You can't press it in at all. We have noticed that this is not all that uncommon. We also have read that we should be able to press that "button" in on a healthy lifter. We are putting in a new set of lifters, but I wanted to take it to the group and see if there is anything we should know about this operation.

So, is there anything we are and/or could be missing?

Thanks!

Lael Cleland
03-14-2012, 03:44 PM
The 93-99 2.0 MK3 filter has a better pressure by pass valve.. not the OC47, i want to say its a OC52? It tends to quiet lifters and fix low idle oil pressure.. Or the Big diesel filter is the up-date for the 1.8T's.. and it hold a quart.. But the 1.8T's have 48mm oil pump gears.. not 36mm...

Also its comon for the lifters to fail on MK2's.. They dont like thin synth oil...

T Broring
03-16-2012, 05:04 PM
On hydraulic lifters that are bad, the hydraulic part will compress easily sometimes to the point you can push it by hand. If the lifter is full of oil and holds hydraulic pressure well, it will not push by hand. Sometimes they can have some air in them after an overhaul that will hopefully bleed out as the engine is broken in. Failed VW lifters are typically worse at idle when there is little oil pressure. Lightweight oil can also be a factor. Not sure if that helps.

Flyinglizard
03-18-2012, 03:31 PM
I get my lifters from "Topline". They seem to match the second gen of lifters.

S2_ITBVW
04-25-2012, 02:25 PM
The new lifters are in and the car sounds great BUT when we move the timing to 29-30 we start to get some lifter/valve noise.

The head has been decked per IT specs. The pistons are .40 over stock. We are running 100 octane fuel. Everything else is absolutely IT legal.

Any ideas why this might be happening? :shrug:

Thanks as always.

Flyinglizard
04-26-2012, 10:03 AM
I suspect a improper TDC mark.
The little tiny "O" mark just before the clutch bolt is the real TDC mark, not any of the big block/pins/ notches.
Double check it .
The lifters wont make noise witha change in ignition timing.
MM

T Broring
04-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Dave, when exactly are you hearing this noise? Lifter noise will vary by RPM and usually is only one or two lifters at a time-unless perhaps you are running very thin oil. As noted above, ign timing should not afect lifter noise at all. Timing marks should always be verified when VWs are apart because replacement flywheels have no marks and need to be added by the installer, hopefully in the right place. Also, you mention total timing of 29-30. What RPM are you setting that at to be sure all your centrifigal is in.

Flyinglizard
05-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Hey Dave, It would be nice if you updated us on what you have found, esp if you would like future help. TIA, MM