PDA

View Full Version : mk3 or mk4

Anviltester
03-01-2012, 11:42 PM
looking to see if there is a real diff (and what the opinion is) between the mk3 and mk4 golf. i am searching for 99-03's (mk4) as i think the intake was better those years than the mk3 crossram stuff. am i on the right track or does it not make a real diff under it prep rules? also any real diff in the chassis between the 2?

thanks for all the input as always.

Anviltester
03-02-2012, 10:15 AM
also how about the diff in the golf to the jetta/passat platform for the same mk3/4? im getting ready to build some new cars and just need to choose a platform to start with.

Bill Miller
03-03-2012, 09:01 PM
also how about the diff in the golf to the jetta/passat platform for the same mk3/4? im getting ready to build some new cars and just need to choose a platform to start with.

The Passat is a different chassis (B series) than the Golf / Jetta (A series)

Knestis
03-03-2012, 09:16 PM
The engines are pretty much the same in the MkIII and MkIV Golfs - mechanically anyway...

The brakes on the MkIV are bigger but the brakes on the MkIII are already pretty damned good for the class. We can do the VIR 13 without changing pads.

If I were starting from scratch at this point, i'd look hard at the MkIV. HOWEVER, you'll need someone like Cameron to sort out the potential confusers in the electrical/ECU system with the newer car. A guy started building one up in the NE but I never heard of it getting completed and out on the track.

K

EDIT - One realistic problem I'm beginning to run into, Mel, is finding parts. We had to buy a roller in order to get quarter panel sheet metal. Doors have gotten noticeably more $$ in the time I've been racing, and even something as simple as a headlight assy is getting to be irritating.

1stgen
03-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Wheel bearings on lowered and tracked mk4's tend to fail at a high rate. I would reccomend correcting geometry issues first with that car. TT's have a lowered spindle housing u can use depending on the class u want to run it in. I had a ton of issues with my turbo-s...bearings, hubs and axles. Enginerd on the vortex has a well sorted mk4 golf, try contacting him via p.m. On there. 300plus horse big breaks custom shocks etc

shwah
03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
BTW - with the recent changes to the Mk3 2.0 in F-Prod (good compression and lots of cam added to the spec line), it occurs to me that someone with an interest in racing a Mk4 might want to send a letter to the Production Advisory Committee asking that they class the 2.0 in F Production.