PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Discussion

G-Man
02-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Time for a new helmet. I'm replacing my SA2000 Bell M2.

I'm looking at the Bell M4 (http://www.saferacer.com/bell-m4-sa2010-auto-racing-helmet.html?productid=2214) for around $380 and the G-Force Pro Eliminator (http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-pro-eliminator-sa2010-helmet.html?productid=2342) for around $250.

Any quantifiable differences for the significant cost difference?
What are people's feelings on the price difference vs. ability to protect vs value, etc.?

I'm mindful of the "ten dollar helmet for ten dollar head." I want a good helmet and willing to pay a fair price, but see no need to buy more than I need. (Not interested in fashion or graphics.)

Thanks for people's input.

TStiles
02-20-2012, 01:35 PM
I just replaced the same M2 you have with an M4.

My M2 was a large and fit perfectly , so I ordered a large M4 , it swallowed my head , so big I could almost pull it off . The medium M4 fits just like my old M2 large

I don't have a clue as to protection M2 vs M4 , but I like my M4 , it may be a touch lighter , it's pre drilled for HANS and the vents might be a little better

dave parker
02-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Bell had to change the exterior shell of a lot of their helmets to conform with the SA2010 specs. Many of the helmet sizes changed. I have been a Bell Medium size helmet wearer for ten years, now I wear a Small. Double check the size chart to make sure that you get the right helmet.

The Bell M4 is a great helmet, that has all the features you would need as a sedan racer, full face helmet with a closeable visor, reasonable weight, some venting and predrilled anchor points for the HNR of your choice.

cheers
dave parker

G-Man
02-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Any thoughts on Bell (or Simpson or other high-end brands) versus G-Force (or HJC or similar cheaper brands)?

chuck baader
02-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Replaced my Bell forced air with a carbon fiber Pyrotech top forced air. Much lighter and found on line for 540 shipped. Chuck

dave parker
02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
GMan
Ok, lets set some ground points first.
High end helmets:
Arai
Stand 21
Stilo
Schubert (Euro only)
Sparco

Helmets with a wide range (low cost to big bucks)
Bell
GForce
HJC
Simpson
Pyrotect

Things to consider:
1. As the price of a helmet goes up, two things happen, weight comes down and you get more features like venting, forced air, aerodynamics, and HNR posts already installed. Also higher quality interior Nomex, better fit and finish.
2. All the venting and aerodynamic features are worthless on a closed cockpit sedan (like most IT cars).

Try on as many helmets as you can. Go with the one that fits your head the best.
A properly fitting helmet will be very snug (almost too tight) around the crown of your head (just above your eyebrows and just above your ears). The cheek pads should come right up to and push on your cheeks.
As you wear the helmet the soft foam cushioning will compress and "mold" to your head. A helmet that fits loosely when brand new is too big.
Wear the helmet for about ten minutes in the store. It should be snug but not constricting, your face should not be bright red, and you should not have a headache from wearing it.

Remember you get what you pay for. While all the helmets are meeting the same standard, the quality of fit and finish of a helmet will be increase as the price goes up.

Clear as mud?

cheers
dave parker

BruceG
02-20-2012, 04:44 PM
I have a Bell and a Gforce....Both appear to be well made but you should consider how long Bell has been in the business, even though it is more expensive.

JeffYoung
02-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Bought a Bell BR-1 a few years back. Couldn't be happier, recommended it to others, and they did not like. Lesson learned? Like a few above said, try on several.

On the flip side, a Simpson Voyager just crushes my head and gives me head aches.

Matt93SE
02-20-2012, 06:00 PM
just another data point.. I had a Pyrotect SA2000 in Medium. it was just a bit loose for my tastes.
I replaced it with an SA2010 of same size, and I can barely squeeze my fat face into it. I have to be careful not to bite my cheeks if I open my mouth while driving.

so while the new Bells are running larger, the Pyrotect are running smaller.

joeg
02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Was a Bell fan since 1983. Got an HJC last year (used off eBay).

Much better helmet!

RacerBill
02-20-2012, 06:20 PM
I have had Bell M4's, and will probably stick with them - best bank for the buck IMHO. I have a hard time with head measurements, so I always try it on before I buy. BTW, try it on the way you will wear it while racing - single layer head socks add about a 1/4 inch to head circumference, double layer adds about a half inch.

JS154
02-21-2012, 02:45 PM
I had a M2 -it had a wide eyeport, which was nice. I now use an OMP Speed, which has a rally/touring car style visor but is still full face.

You can spend a few hundered or a few thousand on a helmet - best bet is to try a few on. I recall not liking the fit or the G-Force, and disliking the fir of the Pyrotect, and liking the Bell, but they were all perfectly good helmets.

rice_classic
02-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I just picked up the HJC Si-12 and I liked it better than the Arai GP5W. It retails for $699.99 and it's lighter than most helmets on the market (lighter than Simpson and Pyrtect Carbon Fiber shells as well).

The HJC AR-10 II is a terrific value as well but the Si-12 feels very high end and I feel it is worth every penny. Also, on top of being the lightest helmet under $1k I could find, it is also the smallest footprint (aka, overall size of shell is smaller) unlike the Bell, Pyrotect, Simpson etc, which all seemed rather large when I compared them back to back.

I put the HJC-si12 up against my old SA2000 Beiffe and it was clearly smaller in shell size and significantly lighter.

CRallo
02-28-2012, 08:16 PM
have two Bells... both M2 or similar... Just upgraded to a Stilo ST4 Carbon... OMG did I not know what I was missing!!!!! This thing is absolutely incredible! Of course it should be for what it costs LOL but the composite is literally HALF the carbon, price wise, and still almost as good so that's a good option too...

dave parker
02-29-2012, 11:03 AM
I just picked up the HJC Si-12 and I liked it better than the Arai GP5W. It retails for $699.99 and it's lighter than most helmets on the market (lighter than Simpson and Pyrtect Carbon Fiber shells as well).

Rice,
I am trying to figure out how you came to that conclusion. I just weighed a HJC Si-12 size Medium on our UPS scale and it weighed in at 3.35 lbs. I weighed a Simpson Carbon Devil Ray size Medium next and it weighed in at 2.95 lbs. I was curious so I weighed three of each to make sure that my numbers were accurate, all were within a tenth of a pound. If your statement is based on facts, that is fine, but if your statement is based on supposition or "It felt lighter in my hand" then you should be clear on that.

I am not supporting or knocking either helmet, both are quality pieces. Neither fit my head shape which is why I do not wear either.

There is enough disinformation out there on helmets that there is no need to perpetuate that problem with more disinformation.

cheers
dave parker

RX555
03-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Good thread, but it is hard to try them on when few places keep them in stock. Most places that do sell them don't keep too many around in various sizes, I've found.
I have a Bell M3 (I think) that I wouldn't mind replacing. I have kind of an oval head and most helmets dig into my forehead. The ones that don't are too big otherwise. This one is really too big, but have used it for a couple years.
Anybody else in a similar situation head size-wise?

dave parker
03-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Good thread, but it is hard to try them on when few places keep them in stock. Most places that do sell them don't keep too many around in various sizes, I've found.
I have a Bell M3 (I think) that I wouldn't mind replacing. I have kind of an oval head and most helmets dig into my forehead. The ones that don't are too big otherwise. This one is really too big, but have used it for a couple years.
Anybody else in a similar situation head size-wise?

When you say "oval head" do you mean longer, thinner head shape? If so you should look closely at the Simpson helmets.

The Bell and GForce helmets tend to fit people with more rounded heads.

cheers
dave parker

Simon T.
03-07-2012, 12:10 PM
I just bought a Zamp...cheap...but quality seems pretty good so far, it feels similar to a Bell and I have heard Zamp is making helmets for Bell now or some of them, not sure if that's true or not. I bought it through SafeRacer, it's SA2010 rated, paid like $160 or something for it. I even like the fit more than my Simpson.

G-Man
03-07-2012, 03:04 PM
So... if the Zamp is $160, G-Force $250, and Bell M4 $380, what constitutes the mythical "ten-dollar helmet?"

I find Simon's posts intelligent and well-phrased. Can I politely and respectfully ask "Are you comfortable with a $160 helmet?"
Again - politely and respectfully.
It seems obvious the answer is "Yes," since he bought it. But what are people's opinions?

Sure, they all meet the same Snell/SFI standards, but the cost differences are huge - from $160 to $500 (leaving out carbon fiber). Why?
Thank you.

CRallo
03-07-2012, 09:05 PM
When you say "oval head" do you mean longer, thinner head shape? If so you should look closely at the Simpson helmets.

cheers
dave parker

Good info! I have an oval head as well :/

RX555
03-08-2012, 04:06 AM
Yes, thanks for the tip.

RX555
03-21-2012, 11:31 PM

cheers
dave parker

Just thought I'd follow up to say this seems to be true. Bought a Simpson Bandit and it fits me better than my old Bell. Thanks again. Just wish they'd pre-drill them for Hans posts or better yet, install them.

clockracer
04-26-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm surprised more helmets aren't coming with the Hans posts. Still have my trusty 2005.