PDA

View Full Version : Raising cage

timo944
01-29-2012, 01:43 PM
I'd like to be able to raise the cage in my 300ZX in order to create some much needed headroom. There is about 1/2" - 1" that I can raise the cage by simply lifting it, but I can gain a lot more if I could just "make room." The GCR seems a little quiet in this subject except in the ITCS 9.f where it says that other than for installation of required safety equipment, no other driver/passenger compartment alterations or gutting are permitted.

What I'd like to do is cut out the areas of the ceiling circled in red, and replace them with new pieces/panels that serve the orignal purpose but allow the cage to be raised:

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t516/bettet1/Pic3.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t516/bettet1/Pic4.jpg

Any opinions on this? Legal? gray area? not legal?

Tm B

betamotorsports
01-29-2012, 04:46 PM
You cannot cut the roof panels but most techs I know will allow you to take a hammer and create some additional clearance for the main hoop if you're a tall person. This is technically not legal either but its one of those things that is addressed on a case-by-case basis.

zchris
01-29-2012, 06:46 PM
If you have converted a T-roof to a slick top you are allowed to remove the T-roof hardware. And I have never met a tech person that would think ill of you making the car/cage safer with a little hammer work. I've done it on hundreds of cages and never had trouble.
Chris

timo944
01-29-2012, 07:01 PM
If you have converted a T-roof to a slick top you are allowed to remove the T-roof hardware. And I have never met a tech person that would think ill of you making the car/cage safer with a little hammer work. I've done it on hundreds of cages and never had trouble.
Chris

That's exactly what was done. If I could punch in the panel with the 2 bolts (in the 2nd pic) after removing the bolts and whatever is behind it, that will help a lot. The bracket tabto the left can stay, and I can bend them back. In the first pic I can punch in the panels circled I'd be in like Flynn. I prefer to do a more professional looking job, but if that's what it takes... and it will certainly make the car safer (head clearance).

Thx
Tim

zchris
01-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Forgot to say make sure you replace the rear facing main hoop supports as you are not allowed a bend in them.
Chris

Ron Earp
01-29-2012, 07:51 PM
I'd pound it flat. Drilling a relief hole or two to help with the flattening wouldn't be a bad idea either. It isn't technically legal, but I don't see it as any different from the cutting/chopping/pounding that one has to do on some cars to fit a race seat in it. You're not saving any weight or gaining a competitive advantage, you're just trying to make your car comfortable and raceable.

timo944
01-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Forgot to say make sure you replace the rear facing main hoop supports as you are not allowed a bend in them.
Chris

Chris - that's what has prompted this whole project. It's job 1.

Thx

joeg
01-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Do what it takes. Proper installation of the cage trumps that sunroof bracing.