PDA

View Full Version : Returning a H&N device?

Tristan Smith
01-25-2012, 11:39 AM
I have an interest in trying the SS Hybrid Pro Rage H&N. I don't believe anyone has one in the Atlanta area that isn't an hour drive + to try on. Does anyone have any experience trying one from one of the mail order folks and returning it if it was not to your liking? Any issues with doing that, assuming that it was never actually used.

I must admit, much like Greg Amy, I was not too impressed with the way that the Hans device makes you feel completely disconnected from the shoulder belts.

thanks.

gran racing
01-25-2012, 01:15 PM
OG Racing will allow you to do that. No restocking fees or other BS.

Matt93SE
01-25-2012, 01:15 PM
When is your next race? know anyone that has one that you can try on/borrow??

Tristan Smith
01-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Not racing till May-ish. So I may have the opportunity to do that. I also don't want to leave the decision till the last second.

I'll check into OG Racing. Thanks

DavidM
01-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Let me know when you get one. I'd like to take a look as well.

David

Tristan Smith
01-26-2012, 01:43 PM
I will David, and vice a versa.

Hoof Hearted
01-26-2012, 07:23 PM
I purchased the Pro Rage corset from SafeRacer... ...hated it (all the straps, buckles, strings, whatnot); returned it within the 30 days and they credited me back the full purchase price towards a HANS. I did not receive the 10% SCCA discount because HANS does not allow discounting of there products. A padded collar of recycled plastic with a tether for $645... :blink:

ITEGT
01-27-2012, 10:10 PM
I wasnt too impressed with the SS Rage either but Ive since ordered the M6 tethers and this thing is so much improved. The D rings are shit, theres no other way around it. They clack loudly against the helmet with any head movement and are annoying as hell.

I had the D ring tethers as tight as they would go and it still felt sloppy due to the play in the D ring and the Rage latches.

I swapped to the M6 tethers tonight and BAM first adjustment with the straps still loose and I could feel resistance.

Do yourself a favor when you order and upgrade to the M6 tethers and helmet latches. Its only $65 extra versus $110 after the purchase.

Bonus the M6 helmet latches, have a FIA cert. number on them. M6 straps do not. The M6 latches alse upon first impression were pretty easy to latch and are almost totally SILENT!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/99cobra2881/m6001.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/99cobra2881/m6018.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/99cobra2881/m6023.jpg

Eagle7
01-29-2012, 07:41 AM
I'm having a tough time seeing how that latch works. Got any more pics or explanation? The Simpson site is SO bad at explaining what these options are.

I went with the D rings because the girl on the phone said most people think they (D rings) are easier to attach than the M6.

Eagle7
01-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Never mind. I followed your link in the other thread and it all makes sense now.

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...181#post935181 (http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=935181#post935181)

Brettt
01-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Honestly, after you get the Hybrid set up after one or two times trying it on, you never have to fiddle with all of the straps/buckles again. I'm really not sure why everyone gets so hung up on the perceived inconvenience of that aspect. I didn't want to put a center net up in my car for similar reasons but now that I have one I know I'm safer. (possibly a bad analogy)

Anyway, the truth is it is a little awkward to put on the first couple times, but do yourself a favor and put it on and sit in your car. After doing that for the first time any real discomfort or perceived awkwardness went out the window. Set up the straps once and be done forever. IMHO time spent setting up some strap lengths (a la seatbelts) is a small price to pay for an improved level of side-impact protection without buying a HALO seat...

On another note, I have been looking at the M6 tethers, but before I shell out the money for those I'm going to try a short piece of shrink wrap on the hinged part of the D-ring to see if that quiets them down a bit.

FWIW, in the event where I borrowed a Hybrid last year, I never heard the rings while I was driving. Just my 2 cents...

Matt Rowe
01-30-2012, 07:00 PM
My experience with my Isaac the first time I put it on was similar to my new hybrid. The helmet connections took a little fumbling to connect and it seemed like the noise of the connection would be distracting. I am assuming that like my Isaac I won't notice either issue by the second time I get the 1 and go.

What I don't think I will get used to is the feel of a rigid piece of composite being forced into my shoulders as I tighten down the belts. Five minutes of sitting in the car left me with only one thought, "I had to replace my Isaac for this?" I suspect the hybrid is still better than the HANS because the geometry is not as complicated and therefore fewer potential pressure points but I still suspect I will end up a lot more bruised/sore than my old system which had nice flexible belts to distribute the load.

JWiley
02-01-2012, 03:43 PM
I have one that I recently ordered from Simpson. I don't have the race car in my garage at present, so I haven't been able to get the device set up and adjusted; like
all of these things, you can only get the feel of it when fully belted in. I'm in Decatur if you want to take a look, or borrow it and try in your car. Since these things are $$$, I may need to keep your first-born until you return it!

James Wiley
#72 HP Midget (ex-ITD)