PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 ITB Newbie Build Questions

mike.rodriguez
01-16-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm going to put all my questions in one thread to keep the forum less cluttered. :p

First question (well...my other wheel thread was really the first question)

Can I remove the lateral OEM seat mounting "tunnel" from the passenger side? I need to remove it because this car will be built to both ITB and Rally America specs so I want to get the co-driver seat as far back/low as possible.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6612596609_28c96d513f_z.jpg

Second question

Can I remove the rear seat frame from the car?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7022/6612589487_e0e850fd23_z.jpg
VW guys will know what part I'm talking about from this pic. (I know I need to relocate the battery back into the engine compartment. :023: )

I didn't see anything in the rules saying it's forbidden but typically if it's not stated, I can't do it to be "legal"...gathered from my autocross days.

joeg
01-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Question #1--No. Driver side OK; Pass side a no no.

Question #2--Only if it gets in the way of installing the cage's main hoop.

Any time you are looking to remove stuff that is spot welded to the unibody, be cautious. You need a good reason to do so--usualy because of a required safety mod. Dual purpose car is not a good reason for the pass seat mods.

Knestis
01-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Yup. Technically, you've already whittled off too much, with the passenger side front slider thingamajig knocked off...

K

mike.rodriguez
01-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Yup. Technically, you've already whittled off too much, with the passenger side front slider thingamajig knocked off...

K
Wouldn't that be considered bracketry?

Front passenger seat, rear seat back, rear seat bottom cushion(s), sun visors, seat belts and their attaching hard- ware and bracketry may be removed.

Knestis
01-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Sorry - yeah. I stand corrected Looking back now, i can't remember if we took that one off of mine but that's right. I know we put in a new cross brace - the floor was rusted - but can't say for sure on the bracket...

K

mike.rodriguez
01-17-2012, 05:14 PM
you left them.

mike.rodriguez
02-07-2012, 09:34 AM
New question, can I stitch weld the rear shock towers? I don't think I can but wanted to ask.

Knestis
02-07-2012, 10:17 AM
That's a big no.

However, notice the maximum size in the rules for rollcage plates...

http://www.it2.evaluand.com/gti/images/mk3.2/cage03.jpg

K

mike.rodriguez
02-07-2012, 10:55 AM
how far does the plate extend to the front side of the shock tower? the plates we cut out aren't that large. might have to cut out new ones.

joeg
02-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Use the 144 square inch rule. Extend them as much as that rule allows. Measure all the planes.

Effectively, you can land up with a substantial amount of coverage (and welding).

mike.rodriguez
02-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Use the 144 square inch rule. Extend them as much as that rule allows. Measure all the planes.

Effectively, you can land up with a substantial amount of coverage (and welding).
I re-read the rule book and I saw both 144 and 100 sq inch rule mentioned. I'll go with the 144 rule but my cage builder (Matt Bushore - Bent Mettle Racing) says we won't need to go that big and the ones we cut out already will be just fine.

BTW - Matt says "hello" JoeG. :023:

Knestis
02-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Point being, the additional size gives you the opportunity to make your welds coincidental to existing seams, run them over door sills, etc. to put more strength in locations that might benefit...

K

mike.rodriguez
02-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Point being, the additional size gives you the opportunity to make your welds coincidental to existing seams, run them over door sills, etc. to put more strength in locations that might benefit...

K
Yup...that's what we intend to do. :023:

I still find it silly that we can connect the cage to the front struts but them's the rules I guess.

joeg
02-09-2012, 08:43 AM
Mike--It is 144. Use multiple planes but can have no plane greater than 15 inches.

Flyinglizard
02-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Keep in mind that any tubing behind the driver box slows you down. Adding weight above the floor just raises the CG and lifts the inside front tire.
The rear shock towers' load is only very lightly vertical.
The cross shock strut bar will not make the driver safer,it will increase the side impact G forces , instead of crushing the rear shock tower. Also, it will destroy the car in a rear wheel hit, by bending the entire rear of the car, not one strut tower. ( as no cross bar will do).
FWDrace cars benefit from controlling the front structure movement. while the rear end works best by have some suspension flex.
Dynamic rear toe steer allows the rear tire to toe out under lateral loading. This unloads the outer front tire. ( dynamic front tire loading limits turn speed and over all lateral grip potential.)
By allowing the rear tire track well outside of the front, you can simply go faster.

More tubing is not always better. IMHo. results based on data, mine and others.
I have 4 Mk2, and 1 Mk 1 race cars now, My book data was all collected on Mk 2 cars.
MM

mike.rodriguez
02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
In my particular case, I am building the cage to meet both SCCA and Rally America rules so the tubing is much larger than required for pure road racing. I don't mind one bit because it's my first season of racing. :023:

mike.rodriguez
03-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Anyone run a sandwich oil filter adapter? I want to run an oil pressure and oil temp gauge. I'm not sure what the thread the oil filter is.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=OILFILTSAND

As always, thanks in advance for the advice.

-mike

Flyinglizard
03-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Run your oil filter part # thru google and look for the thread spec. It is common but Idont know it right off.
The stock housing has enough holes for both.

I run neither, just good syn oil and fresh rod bearings.
MM

mike.rodriguez
03-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Anyone have pics of how/where they installed their fuel testing port?

jmracer17
03-13-2012, 12:48 AM
i went off the top of the tank in the back. put a t in the line, one continuing on and one going to the port.

we drilled out a hole to mount it in the cover inside the car.

james

mike.rodriguez
03-13-2012, 12:53 AM
pics?

Flyinglizard
03-14-2012, 10:27 AM
James, your test port is inside the car?
I keep asking the CFR tech guys , if they have a test kit.
No they dont.
Maybe that s why they give me a hard time..
I cant stand rules that are made up for a problem that doesnt exist, that are less safe(extra leak point),and have no value to regional racers

I agree that the SM and all of the spec classes should run spec fuel, and be tested @ nationals.
Or.. all of the top three are tested every race. But to require a test port without a test kit is just not right.IMHO.

Lael Cleland
03-14-2012, 03:38 PM
What I have made in the past for MK1 & MK2s is a banjo bolt on fuel dist. Drill a hole in the center (lathe makes it easy) then tap it to 1/8 or 1/4 npt.. The pegasis test ports i think are 1/8npt..??...? If its in the way, just put a 90deg male/female on it...
6 cars have it and no issues..
Also we run a seperate switch for pump that by passes the relay, those fail! Ususally at the 5 min signal, or when going to grid, or loading at 2am...

10 years and mine have never been used by tech... makes it easy to steal fuel out of race car for the lawn mower or snow blower... LOL!

shwah
03-14-2012, 11:04 PM
... makes it easy to steal fuel out of race car for the lawn mower or snow blower... LOL!

This is all I have ever used mine for as well.:023: