PDA

View Full Version : Replacement of pedal assembly

BruceG
01-07-2012, 09:22 AM
9.1.3.9.k(page 341 in my 2009 gcr....lol) states that "modifications may be made to the foot pedals to improve the comfort of and control accessibility to the driver"

does this mean we can relocate the existing pedals with a wilwood or tilton unit? Thanks for your help on this one.

Knestis
01-07-2012, 10:31 AM
... and it would be safer because we could more accurately control brake bias. Doesn't seem like it monkeys with the inviolable fundamental tenets of IT, either.

:026:

K

joeg
01-07-2012, 10:49 AM
No can do using the original pedals

lateapex911
01-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Bruce:"modification". According to the GCR: "To change a component from stock"

So, to replace the various components in the pedal assembly with an aftermarket Tilton assembly is clearly not allowed.

Typical modifications I have seen on pedals are:
-Added material to stiffen the 'arm' of the clutch or brake.
-Bent arms to reposition pedals right or left.
-additional 'pedals" attached to stock components to increase the size, add grip, or offset the usable area.
-block like extensions to effectively move the usable arc backwards.

And combinations of the above.

I suppose, too, that you could redrill the mechanism to change the fulcrum point, effort, etc as well.

Now, the rule uses the term "Foot pedals" which is not in the GCR glossary. So, there could be some discussion about what that actually entails. Which means to me that the first and the second mods, along with drilling are rather grey.
Unlikely to get you protested, in the real world, but a tilton setup? yea, that SHOULD get protested pronto.
(Warts and all)

BruceG
01-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Bruce:"modification". According to the GCR: "To change a component from stock"

So, to replace the various components in the pedal assembly with an aftermarket Tilton assembly is clearly not allowed.

Typical modifications I have seen on pedals are:
-Added material to stiffen the 'arm' of the clutch or brake.
-Bent arms to reposition pedals right or left.
-additional 'pedals" attached to stock components to increase the size, add grip, or offset the usable area.
-block like extensions to effectively move the usable arc backwards.

And combinations of the above.

I suppose, too, that you could redrill the mechanism to change the fulcrum point, effort, etc as well.

Now, the rule uses the term "Foot pedals" which is not in the GCR glossary. So, there could be some discussion about what that actually entails. Which means to me that the first and the second mods, along with drilling are rather grey.
Unlikely to get you protested, in the real world, but a tilton setup? yea, that SHOULD get protested pronto.
(Warts and all)

Thanks, Jake...and others! I was looking for the best setup to heel and toe...BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD....LOL

lateapex911
01-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Aftermarket pedals and a tweaking of the accelerator pedal position and stop will be much cheaper, and much easier than replumbing, fabbing brackets, and figuring out cylinder sizing.

PDoane
01-09-2012, 10:23 AM
It's not that hard to mod street car pedals for adjustability.

http://carpron.com/multisite/v/Upload/PDoane/Pedal+mods.jpg.html

CRallo
01-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks, Jake...and others! I was looking for the best setup to heel and toe...BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD....LOL

I added a plate to make my brake pedal wider with shims under it so I could even tweak the height. also added grip tape FWIW...

PDoane
01-11-2012, 11:40 AM
I did put grip tape on the pedals I modified.

http://carpron.com/multisite/v/Upload/PDoane/pedals.jpg.html?g2_navId=x5de927b4

The grit on the grip tape tends to wear off quickly, but it isn't that hard to replace.

Note to self, next time don't cut off the stud for attaching the OEM dead pedal.