PDA

View Full Version : Honda S2000 Help

ktr6
12-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Hello, new poster and I need some rule help. I bought a T3 Honda S2000 and would like to convert to ITR. The car has stock front and rear coils and we would like to upgrade as two of them are blown and need rebuilding/replacement. Plus we would like to have the ability to adjust ride height.

From the factory the rear coil has a piggyback reservoir due to space issues. We would like to upgrade to a monotube shock such as ohlin/bilstein/penske etc which also have a rear only piggyback reservior. The GCR states that non factory replacement shocks can not have a piggyback/remote reservior.

So, my question -what does this mean for our car? Can we go with an aftermarket unit built the same as factory or would that be breaking the rules? What have other S2000 owners done for their cars. Appreciate any and all help.

Greg Amy
12-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Contact these guys, they just screwed one together:

http://www.flatout-motorsports.com/

In answer to your shock question: you can only run the factory remote reservoir dampers. If you choose to go aftermarket you will have to follow the IT regs, meaning no remote reservoir dampers.

GA

Andy Bettencourt
12-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Greg is spot on. Our ITR S2K has Koni 2812's on it. Factory shocks were obviously no good, so to do an upgrade, we had to comply with the 'no remote reservoir' rules.

http://www.flatout-motorsports.com/images/stories/fruit/P1080843.jpg

StephenB
12-24-2011, 01:15 AM
I love that picture!

Stephen

lateapex911
12-24-2011, 04:27 AM
Greg and Andy are correct. BTW, Lee at Koni is great to work with and 2812s are great options.
Now, an aside. This has come up in the past.
Backstory: Originally there was no ban on RR dampers. They weren't invented in the stone age! Then they came to be and were $$$$. Of course, the top dogs threw them on their ARRC winning cars.
Then the CRB banned them from IT. Several guys left IT and SCCA in protest.
A few years ago, a request to allow them went in front of the ITAC, IIRC, and was denied.
It's gotten to the point in damper development that you can spend ten K on plain old non RR dampers for your car. (But, the need is questionable/bad return on investment due to the cage rules which leave the chassis largely undamped).
And you can spend $600 for a set of RRs. The mere fact that a damper is RR isn't the single determining factor on whether the damper is a gift from God. Nor are the different deigns separated in price ranges.

We've talked about this before...has the climate changed either in the market place, or on the ITAC, to make a new request reasonable?

ulfelder
12-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Contact these guys, they just screwed one together:

http://www.flatout-motorsports.com/

GA

Thanks Greg. KTR6: More specifically, email Nick Leverone at Flatout. The car is mine, but all I do is drive it. :eclipsee_steering:

ktr6
12-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks everyone for their input, will definitely call flat out next week after the holidays. Very nice photo, hopefully we can get the underside of our s2k to look that nice!

Just got the ecu ordered and getting the racepak dash in the car. Cant wait to run this car at the VIR 10 hour enduro next fall.