PDA

View Full Version : Head & neck restraint comparisons

gran racing
12-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Last weekend Greg Amy, Jake Gulick, Jake Fisher and myself got together to mess around with the three primary certified head and neck restraint systems. It was really interesting and my preference was a bit different than originally thought.

Not a surprise to many of you are the politics behind the scene. I found it beyond frustrating the more I attempted to gather real information.

Sorry for the delay Tom and others. Evidently I will never have an acting career. Grrr. Never would have guess it was going to take me a few hours to shoot and edit a darn 4 min video, then still not be overly happy with it. LOL

Here's the article (http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/blog/head-and-neck-restraint-systems-comparisons-politics/), videos, and thoughts from the guys involved. If you think it's decent, I'd really appreciate you sharing it on Facebook or wherever else and commenting below the article. I believe it's important for people for more people to know the background behind this wonder certification process. Hopefully I won't get sued in the process. Doh!

tom91ita
12-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Dave,

please link FIA certification reference for the Pro Rage.

I did not think it was FIA but only SFI 38.1

I hope I am wrong.

thanks,

Tom

gran racing
12-20-2011, 09:12 PM
That was partially based on a conversation I had with a Safety Solutions rep. On various sites I see FIA Institute Approved. The FIA site is challenging to navigate. Grrrr.

There's this press release (http://www.reactivechassisco.com/r/2011/09/safety-solutions-hybrid-restraint-receives-fia-approval/) which I saw before, seemed to make sense at the time. Need to gain further clarification. :( This whole subject is annoying and so...secretive it seems. On several stores sites, it lists this (http://www.theracedepot.com/product18.htm). From what I read, many of the units don't have the FIA sticker on it (the one I have here doesn't) but that was due to the timing of approval. Really not sure anymore.

Thanks to checking on that Tom.

cooleyjb
12-20-2011, 10:21 PM
That was partially based on a conversation I had with a Safety Solutions rep. On various sites I see FIA Institute Approved. The FIA site is challenging to navigate. Grrrr.

There's this press release (http://www.reactivechassisco.com/r/2011/09/safety-solutions-hybrid-restraint-receives-fia-approval/) which I saw before, seemed to make sense at the time. Need to gain further clarification. :( This whole subject is annoying and so...secretive it seems. On several stores sites, it lists this (http://www.theracedepot.com/product18.htm). From what I read, many of the units don't have the FIA sticker on it (the one I have here doesn't) but that was due to the timing of approval. Really not sure anymore.

Thanks to checking on that Tom.

FWIW, the Hybrid device is what has the FIA approval. The Hybrid Pro and the R3 are different devices than that one. It doesn't appear as though you had one of the Hybrid devices. It's somewhat in between the R3 and Hybrid Pro in appearance.

cooleyjb
12-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Here is a link that should take you to the current FIA spec that lists HANS and the Hybrid.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/A12FB1536667511BC12578B700714F94/$FILE/8858-2010_Frontal_Head_Restraint.pdf

Z3_GoCar
12-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Hey Dave,

I'd not beat yourself up about the quality of your video, it's a lot like some old tech video's I used to watch.

StephenB
12-20-2011, 11:23 PM
If you think it's decent, I'd really appreciate you sharing it on Facebook or wherever else and commenting below the article. I believe it's important for people for more people to know the background behind this wonder certification process. Hopefully I won't get sued in the process. Doh!

Dave I tried posting a comment but it says "Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!"

So if you want to add my comment below your more than welcome to. I did like it and share it on facebook :)

Stephen

Dave, Great article! I have a few friends that are torn on what to get and I will definetly share this with them! I still like the Hans the best out of all my options. As with all safety items I feel as though user friendliness and simplicity for less margin of error on use make for a safer overall product. I think the Hans with two nets and a Halo seat designed for a Hans is your best overall protection. But all these devices seem to work and will protect you better than those old neck collers!

tom91ita
12-20-2011, 11:32 PM
i guess i am reading the press release as you can use the device at FIA events:

Simpson Performance Products Receives
FIA Approvals
June 30, 2011, New Braunfels, Texas, USA – The Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) has approved the Simpson / Safety Solutions Hybrid Head Restraint and the Rally and Competitor Racing Gloves for use in FIA sanctioned competition, effective immediately.

sort of like what i dreamed SCCA would post.....

enter REM Dream state....SCCA announces that Isaac devices can be used at all Club and National Racing events... exit REM via rude awakening...

tom91ita
12-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Here is a link that should take you to the current FIA spec that lists HANS and the Hybrid.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/A12FB1536667511BC12578B700714F94//8858-2010_Frontal_Head_Restraint.pdf

Joe,

from the linked pdf

Test methods and performance requirements for
the following FHR models are included :
1. HANS® device (referred throughout this
document as HANS)
2. HUTCHENS HYBRID® device (referred
throughout this document as HYBRID).
Each Hybrid submitted for approval must be
certified to SFI 38.1 and conform with the
NASCAR accepted geometrical tolerance
range.

Part of the confusion for me is that FIA recognizes the "Hutchens Hybrid" which is now apparently sold by Simpson as the "Simpson Hybrid" but FIA does not list a "Hybrid Pro" or a "Hybrid Pro Rage" and some sites that sell all three only lists the "Hybrid" as SFI & FIA approved and the others are listed as SFI approved.

does the Hybrid Pro Rage come with an FIA sticker?

thanks,

Tom, who based on the video does not see the Pro Rage as that big of deal considering the price point and not wanting a HANS.

disclosure time: i intend to buy my gear for 2012 from Joe (harness, Rage & helmet)

i want to claim i was so ticked about SCCA/SFI 38.1/HANS that i went off and bought Rage...

gran racing
12-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Just doing Google searches, there are numerous sites that list the Hybrid Pro as SFI 38.1 Certified / FIA Institute Approved. Seems like there's a lot of confusion out there on this one.

One of many examples (http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tpc=Safety-Solutions-Head-Neck-Restraints&form_cat_id=1103&action=category)

The Rage is just supposedly the new model of the Hybrid Pro. Hell, I certainly can't tell the difference between them.

Stephen, it took your comment. Maybe pressed submit twice? Either way, much appreciated.

cooleyjb
12-21-2011, 12:31 AM
It's horribly confusing.

So there are three devices (for roadracers) from SS

R3--the one with the longest run down the back
Hybrid-- A bit shorter than the R3
Hybrid Pro--Sits up at the top of the thoracic verts, just under neck

The R3 is completely standalone and only connected to the helmet and has a chest strap. The Hybrid and Hybrid Pro also have a foundation connection to the lap belts that are released as teh belts are.

There are two types of construction. A full CF version and a injection molded version. If it is the cheaper injection molded style they give it the designations rage. They are only going to be making the Hybrid Pro in the Rage version down the road. Hopefully the Hybrid too so we can get another FIA device that is in the same price as the HANS to give people more choices.

The Hybrid Pro/Hybrid Pro Rage is NOT FIA certifiable. Only the Hybrid which is just over 1,000.

So to sum it all up with what is currently being produced by SS/Simpson with rough prices.

Hybrid-- FIA and SFI certified. CF version 1000 bucks
Hybrid Pro-- SFI certified. CF Version 900 bucks
Hybrid Pro Rage-- SFI certified. Injection Molded 550 bucks
R3--SFI certified. CF version 900 bucks.

Z3_GoCar
12-21-2011, 12:50 AM
The Rage's extra straps look like they're for a set of formula style sub belts, which I'm vaguely familiar with because I help a friend who runs a Continential.

cooleyjb
12-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Those straps are on the Hybrid, Hybrid Pro and Hybrid Pro Rage.

They indeed feel a bit like the formula style sub-belts that I had in my FC. In reality the attachment is just like arm restraints. They have little rings that slot over the lap belt latch.

cooleyjb
12-21-2011, 12:57 AM
FWIW, that seatbelt attachment is called the SAS or seatbelt anchoring system.

JLawton
12-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Dave,

Dave, great stuff!! Info that was needed out there!

I'd be interested in the four of you (thanks for inviting me! ;) ) ranking the devices by how easy they are to put on by yourself and the ease of getting out of a car with it on.

Greg Amy
12-21-2011, 08:20 AM
...(thanks for inviting me! ;) )...
Hey, the only reason *I* got invited was he needed my car...and my garage... ;)

gran racing
12-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Not true. I was originally going to do it at Kessler's, but wanted additional feedback from experienced racers.

Sorry Jeff! You've been so quite lately...

Ease of putting on:
HANS
R3
Hybrid

Like most devices, it just takes practice and none will be extremely difficult. Ease of getting out of the car - all about the same IMO. I really don't see a huge advantage of with any one of them.

lateapex911
12-21-2011, 04:24 PM
I'd agree with Daves list. But The hybrid was a lot more annoying than the rest to get on and hooked up.

As for egress, it depends. I'd want them all with quick disconnects. That eliminates variables.

Without them though (Because thats the standard 38.1 specifically mentions, it MUST be released with the belts), I'd say the R3 is best, then the hybrid, then the HANS. The HANS under normal conditions is fine (in the car I tested it in), but it's a wild card in less than ideal conditions with the yoke sticking up, likely to catch on all the crap we have in our cars.

cooleyjb
12-21-2011, 04:30 PM
The thing you keep calling the Hybrid is the Hybrid Pro.

The Hybrid is a different device. It looks like a cross between the R3 and Hybrid Pro.

Chip42
12-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Jake, you can geta hans with quick release tethers now (no cost option), with pull cords just like the Simpson/SS devices. the thing still isn't as good as other devices, but at least you can now make it completely loose from you very easily.

Knestis
12-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Jake, you can geta hans with quick release tethers now (no cost option), with pull cords just like the Simpson/SS devices. the thing still isn't as good as other devices, but at least you can now make it completely loose from you very easily.

...suggesting that a second point of release might not be such a deadly thing after all.

Give me strength... :blink:

K

cschimmel
12-21-2011, 07:52 PM
...suggesting that a second point of release might not be such a deadly thing after all.

K

Kirk,
I feel your anguish!

lateapex911
12-21-2011, 08:37 PM
The thing you keep calling the Hybrid is the Hybrid Pro.

The Hybrid is a different device. It looks like a cross between the R3 and Hybrid Pro.

Gotcha, sorry, I'm a lazy typer. No excuse, there are so many of these things, it's bad to add to the confusion. I'll clean it up.

lateapex911
12-21-2011, 08:39 PM

K

I'm sure HANS will tell you it's just a convenience, and most users don't get it, and that it's important that you be able to get out having to only release ONE thing.
And the radio, the coolsuit, breatherhose and the net.

pitbull113
12-21-2011, 10:35 PM
I picked up the hybrid pro rage which is the composite version of the hyprid pro which is carbon fiber. mine does not have the straps that attach to the lap belts.

gran racing
12-22-2011, 08:47 AM
That's really odd Steve. Are you sure it's not one of their other models? The straps are what Safety Solutions commented help with the side impact.

lateapex911
12-22-2011, 09:22 AM
And, are these modifications and 'options' all tested and comply with SFI?

ITEGT
12-22-2011, 12:12 PM
I talked to Safety Solutions yesterday. I was told they plan to market the Hybrid Pro and Pro Rage without the additional straps as their standard model. They recommend the harness straps for the oval track racers. I ordered mine without the additional straps/loops.

Just going off what I was told, Im mostly glad to finally have one purchased and be a step closer to racing in '12.

Matt Rowe
12-22-2011, 12:29 PM
My Hybrid Pro Rage arrived yesterday (Dave's nice write up came out just a couple of days after I ordered) and it doesn't have the additional straps. However it does have the most important safety feature, the SFI 38.1 tag. I know I feel so much safer than with my Isaac device. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I think the information out there on the Hybrid devices is a little confusing at best on what the available options are. I thought I had done my research pretty thoroughly but there were still options and acronyms being tossed around that I wasn't clear on. As soon as the new helmet arrives I may have to return the Pro Rage for the version with the SAS straps for side impact protection. Based on the limited test fitting I have done it seems comfortable and easy to use.

Knestis
12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
The "hybrid" folks don't do themselves any favors with their branding communications...

K

gran racing
12-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I wonder why the straps would be more for oval racing? Doesn't make sense to me. I could have sworn that they told me the straps were used to dissapate load which made it preform better on the sled than the R3. (I finally got clarification on the R3 testing versus the Hybrid Pro Rage with straps.) So now in theory there's a set of test results with and without the straps?

Just heard a rumor that the strapless versions don't have valid SFI stickers. Hee, hee, hee. (Yes, I'm joking.)

I think most people are just going to throw their hands up in the air and get something with the fancy sticker like you said Matt.

Dano77
12-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Thats exactly what I did,got the fancy stickered one. That way no one at tech has a reason to question what it is/legality.

Thanks for the hard work,we will pass it on

Dan

BruceG
12-22-2011, 02:21 PM
I wonder why the straps would be more for oval racing? Doesn't make sense to me. I could have sworn that they told me the straps were used to dissapate load which made it preform better on the sled than the R3. (I finally got clarification on the R3 testing versus the Hybrid Pro Rage with straps.) So now in theory there's a set of test results with and without the straps?

Just heard a rumor that the strapless versions don't have valid SFI stickers. Hee, hee, hee. (Yes, I'm joking.)

I think most people are just going to throw their hands up in the air and get something with the fancy sticker like you said Matt.

I'll post this on the thread as well as classifieds, as I have just purchased a new(to me) ITB car and will need the cash to replace some stuff before I ever get out on the track again. As I said in the as, this has nothing to do with the HANS VS HYBRID...and I may well purchase another HANS when the time comes. This one is brand new in the box with tethers..the only item I have used are the posts which Adam at LRP mounted on my bell.

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30016

ITEGT
12-22-2011, 07:55 PM

I was told the straps are recommended for racing where barrel roll type crashes are common. They asked me what type of racing I would be doing, I answered road racing. The salesperson said the straps were more for oval racers. I said fine I dont need them. If they had recommended them I wouldve said yes I want them, its not like the straps cost any more money.

Anthony

NASA American Iron #28

Drew M
12-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Great information. Thanks Dave!

tom91ita
12-27-2011, 09:59 AM
just a slight bend in this thread since some of this is human behavior related, i have been reading about human error reduction for some upcoming training and ran across this from http://www.talsico.com/newsletters/Newsletter1Article2.htm

Cognitive Dissonance - where your behaviors and beliefs must be consistent:

Forced into a specific safety behavior (wearing seat belts) people began altering their beliefs to justify this change in their behavior. This is a classic example of a psychological principle called Cognitive Dissonance, which simply put states, behaviors and beliefs seek alignment. If your behavior and your beliefs are NOT in alignment you will feel anxiety until you bring them back into alignment by changing one or the other.

A note of caution here: if you impose a behavior on a person and it conflicts with a very strongly held belief, you may place them in a position where they feel they have no option but to leave.

i found it interesting because i have seen several posts from folks that previous to the rules from SCCA or NASA requiring the devices did not own a H&NR and are now ardent defenders of them and the policy.

Russ Myers
12-27-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm in the "no option but to leave" camp. And I will really be gone when they mandate them for Solo 1 and 2.

Russ

BruceG
12-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Considering a new seat for my "new" Volvo 242. Thanks to Dave, Greg and JAke, I got pointed to OG Racings website and saw this seat($540) with cover extra but thought it might be good with a HANS, Simpson,etc and still leave decent visability.

Any thoughts,guys

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/5858/image/1626/

gran racing
12-28-2011, 10:27 AM
I'd really recommend calling them. Several of the guys there race, know all about the seats, and will talk to you about other key aspects in making your decision.

BruceG
12-28-2011, 01:14 PM
I'd really recommend calling them. Several of the guys there race, know all about the seats, and will talk to you about other key aspects in making your decision.

Thanks, dave....as usual!

Eagle7
12-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Santa brought me a Hybrid Pro Rage. At least I think I have it - the SFI sticker says it was manufactured in March 2012, so maybe I'm just dreaming.

I figured I would test-fit my Bell M2 SA2000 helmet. Make my mistakes on it instead of a new one. But the screws are way too short to go through the foam liner, and that liner is not about to budge. I assume the newer helmets are designed differently so the screws will work?

gran racing
12-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Screws work fine on my old SA2000 helmet. I'm sure it has more to do with manufacturers but am surprised if the newer helmet you have doesn't work since the HANS mount would go in the same location. I'd probably put some loctite or something else to keep them from backing out.

Eagle7
12-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Don't have a new helmet yet. I'm sure it'll be fine when I get one.

FastM3
12-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Great Discussion

Here is an entry I posted on that Spec Miata site a while back. I purchased the Pro Rage because of its side impact rotection as I don't have a Halo seat.

Linda still uses our original Hans device and we just got it back from re-certification (fairly quick and painless. Just negotiate your return shipping cost.) I noticed that the Hans also has an FIA sticker on it, so ..does it really need to be re-certified by SFI??

By the way..if you use a Hans make sure you have the sliding tether so you can turn your head a bit.

My Hybrid Pro Rage has the belt o-rings (SAS). Once belted in the car you can feel that these add extra support and they are important for side impact protection.

I still agree with my comments from a year ago. It is a pain to get on alone..it is handy to have someone help or have some sort of mirror to help you see what you are trying to accomplish.

Posted by FastM3 on 12-08-2010 07:28 PM:

I have used a Hans for a year and have been using a Hybrid Pro Rage this season. (Two Seasons now)

Plus
1 Provides side to side support
2 Seems to not allow as much frontal movement as a Hans
3 Does not dig into the shoulders. You feel the belts and not the device.
4 It is supposed to reduce forces in a shallow angle impact (some side force) better than the Hans. I don't have a halo seat but a right side net will be in for next season.

Minus
1 More complicated to put on. Must slip rings onto the lap belt (not really an issue)
2 Helmet clips are a little more complicated.
3 Dont forget to attach the quick release to the velcro patches that you install on the front of the helmet.
3 I install the harness and clip the helmet clips before getting into the car.
4 Since it uses straps (or belts) it has a limited lifetime. 3 years I think. Not sure if you can return it to be re belted.

Watch all the videos you can find and then decide.

Phil
Kogan Racing # 38

tom91ita
01-01-2012, 05:05 AM
Phil,

why is the quick release for the Hybrid Pro Rage important? isn't it relatively easy to get out of the car with it on and attached to your helmet?

tia, tom

JLawton
01-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks Phil.

Anyone have experience using the Pro Rage and the Issac? I'm looking for ease of putting them on (clipping in).

lateapex911
01-02-2012, 02:00 AM
Great Discussion

Here is an entry I posted on that Spec Miata site a while back. I purchased the Pro Rage because of its side impact rotection as I don't have a Halo seat.

Linda still uses our original Hans device and we just got it back from re-certification (fairly quick and painless. Just negotiate your return shipping cost.) I noticed that the Hans also has an FIA sticker on it, so ..does it really need to be re-certified by SFI??

By the way..if you use a Hans make sure you have the sliding tether so you can turn your head a bit.

My Hybrid Pro Rage has the belt o-rings (SAS). Once belted in the car you can feel that these add extra support and they are important for side impact protection.

I still agree with my comments from a year ago. It is a pain to get on alone..it is handy to have someone help or have some sort of mirror to help you see what you are trying to accomplish.

Posted by FastM3 on 12-08-2010 07:28 PM:

I have used a Hans for a year and have been using a Hybrid Pro Rage this season. (Two Seasons now)

Plus
1 Provides side to side support
2 Seems to not allow as much frontal movement as a Hans
3 Does not dig into the shoulders. You feel the belts and not the device.
4 It is supposed to reduce forces in a shallow angle impact (some side force) better than the Hans. I don't have a halo seat but a right side net will be in for next season.

Minus
1 More complicated to put on. Must slip rings onto the lap belt (not really an issue)
2 Helmet clips are a little more complicated.
3 Dont forget to attach the quick release to the velcro patches that you install on the front of the helmet.
3 I install the harness and clip the helmet clips before getting into the car.
4 Since it uses straps (or belts) it has a limited lifetime. 3 years I think. Not sure if you can return it to be re belted.

Watch all the videos you can find and then decide.

Phil
Kogan Racing # 38

Phil, point of order...SFI certifies nothing*. The manufacturer certifies that it meets the 38.1 specification... SFI grants the manufacturer the use of the sticker, and we all pay for that with every sale.

*Further, if you read SFis literature, they clearly state that they don't certify anything, and they are not to held liable in any event ....according to them, they provide zero legal umbrella to any user, either individual or sanctioning body.

The whole recert thing is rather sketchy, in my eyes. What is the story here? Do the parts have failure modes expected in a certain period? Do they automatically replace parts? Does HANS give you a
"new & improved" Hans yoke since everybody and his brother has had the belts slip off the original ones?? :shrug:

I'm glad that the recert is 'painless'. ...but to me, it's just another 'pile on', like the belt manufacturer(s) who said the original, tested and 'certified' 5 year cert was 2.5 times too long, and they all had to be replaced after 2 years....and, just coincidentally, they all sold two and a half times the units per year....

gran racing
01-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Jeff, you'll get used to putting the clips on the helmet. S.S. said they have some other type of mount which is a bit easier, but I haven't seen it.

The ISAAC was a PITA to get used to IMO, so this really that much worse.

Knestis
01-02-2012, 09:05 AM
I tested a Rage at the end of this year. It's a little more fiddly to get into but I always seemed to have less trouble plugging in my ISAAC than others I know. Like Dave said, essentially the same.

K

StephF
01-04-2012, 01:31 PM
We just got a pair of Hybrid Pro Rages. (anyone want to buy a pair of used Issac's?)
I don't know, verdict's out for me still. We measured where and how the rep told us too, but neither one of these is sitting well on us.
Mine is sitting a full 4" higher on my chest than where they had me measure (and going north on a woman's chest can mean a significant elevation difference, even if you are only hiking in the foothills...)
If I can't get it to sit lower, where they had me measure, I am not sure it will fit over my suit.
And oddly, the back strap is bulging out into thin air. I couldn't get it tightened down yet the front was wicked tight.
Ed's fit kind of strange too. We have the non extra strap versions.
Anyone else have this issue? (Well, maybe not the foothills one....)

FastM3
01-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Phil,

why is the quick release for the Hybrid Pro Rage important? isn't it relatively easy to get out of the car with it on and attached to your helmet?

tia, tom

Tom
I think you need the quick release as it is the only way to disconect (I don't think there is another option for connecting to the helmet). The velcro in the front of the helmet is to attach them so you know where to locate them.
I get in the car fully set up. Usually after a run I pull the quick releases as I enter the pit area so I can remove the helmet first. Just as a comfort issue. You can get out of the car with no problem with everything on.

Phil # 38 SM, SM2 ITA

FastM3
01-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Stephanie

You may want to go to a dealer with your Hybrid Pro Rage devices, helmets and your drivers suit and see if they can help you set it up correclty. There are several adjustments that can be confusing.

Seymour Enterprises is on rt 20 in Marlboro Ma. (I know it is a hike for you guys but maybe you can convince Ed to take you out to dinner as well)

http://www.theracedepot.com/product18.htm

Bob Seymour is very helpful. Give him a call.

They also sponsor the Race Car Show that happens in Feb or March in Marlboro. Safety Solutions was there at the time I bought mine and they helped to adjust it right there. I am not sure what the support will be now that Safety Solutions is owned by Simpson.

Phil Kogan

StephF
01-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Hey thanks.
We need helmets too, and I know Ed wants to try his on before buying it.
I would prefer not to go to Racearama. The last time I went it was a dud. I'll look up the Marlboro show too.

FastM3
01-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Stephanie

They started this show because of the issues with RaceArama.

It is a smaller show but there are lots of Helmet Suppliers there as well. I got a great deal on some Carbonex Underwear for Linda and I.

THe show is mostly Circle track but is becoming more a mix of racing types. FlatOut was there last year and I think there may have been an SCCA table as well.

The show is promoted by Seymour Enterprises and they have a display as well. I found that you can negotiate with the retail vendors but not with the manufacturers. I wound up buying my Safety Solutions Hybrid pro rage from Lajoi of Seating. They were the table next to Safety Solutions and Safety Solutions handed the device to Lajoi who sold it to me at a discount. Got It?? I was looking for a set of scales from a manufacturer but they would not budge from the list price.

Another thing on helmets and other safety gear. HMS in Peabody (Joe Marko) has several Helmet lines in stock to try on. Their prices are very close to SafeRacer. They do a lot of safety gear for Nascar. They know thier stuff. Look up the website. They also sponsor an open house with the BMW club sometime early March and give good discounts on the day. Don't forget to take a balaclava when testing.

Phil

artful-dodger
02-07-2012, 02:50 PM
After following this thread I made the decision to go with the R3 Rage...right price and the opportunity to get protection while riding right seat with student in street car 3-point belts.

It turns out that Simpson has discontinued the R3 Rage. So the only option to keep the 3-point option is to step up to the $1000 R3. So back to the decision process.

There are some dealers that have the R3 Rage (most only have small and large sizes) left in stock, but you may lose one year of certification since they would have been manufactured sometime in 2011. I did call Safety Solutions and they say that they will continue to recertify the R3 Rage even though they no longer produce them.

I do have another question to provide to anyone actually using either R3 design (or a hybrid...) When properly tightened around the chest, do these restraints cause any problems for circulation in a cool shirt?