PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 2.3L adj. cam gear!

jimbbski
12-02-2011, 01:36 AM
As part of a Lemons car build I am in need of an adjustable cam gear for the Ford 2.3L engine. I plan on having the head milled and want to get the stock cam back to stock or near stock timing. Anyone?

manny
12-02-2011, 06:27 AM
racer walsh, speedway motorsports, and maybe mustangsunlimited.

Greg Amy
12-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Am I the only one perplexed by adjustable cam gears for a "lemons" car...?

Shark. Jumped.

Russ Myers
12-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Esslinger engineering.

billf
12-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Jim,

I happen to have one that I didn't use. I found out that after head milling, the cam gets retarded, some six degrees. About what I wanted anyway...the reason for buying the sprocket.

I have one with multi keyways broached in it with indexing. It is not the two piece unit that can be adjusted without loosening the tension on the cam belt.

As Manny stated, many outlets have them. If I can find it, I would offer to sell it. If interested, respond!! When you use this unit, you have to pretty much degree the cam to confirm the timing. The indexing is relative to the cam only.

Your choice.

Bill:024:

jimbbski
12-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Why some may think that needing such a gear is not in the sprit of Lemons I think that as long as it fits within the budget what's the problem. After attending a couple of Lemons races as an observer the "$500" budget for these cars is a joke! Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW, etc cars were common. No one is going to tell me that some of those cars had a value less then $500!
My team is going with an old, rusty but solid Opel GT and a Ford 2.3L engine & T5 trans drivetrain out of a Ranger PU. Since a carbed 2.3L engine is not a powerhouse I intend to help it along by porting & milling the head. Hence the need for the adj. cam gear.

I came here looking for a used one for a low price. I know that I can buy them new but it will hurt the budget!

billf please contact me via PM about the gear you have.

dick elliott
12-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Hey! I can remember the days when you could build an IT car for under $500.

billf
12-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Jim,

I'll look for it tomorrow (Saturday), and then PM you.

Bill

billf
12-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Jim,

Forget the PM...e-mail me at:

[email protected]

bill

jimbbski
12-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all your help. I have made an agreement to buy the one "billf" offered.

rydermike
02-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Why some may think that needing such a gear is not in the sprit of Lemons I think that as long as it fits within the budget what's the problem. After attending a couple of Lemons races as an observer the "$500" budget for these cars is a joke! Porsche, Mercedes Benz, BMW, etc cars were common. No one is going to tell me that some of those cars had a value less then $500!
My team is going with an old, rusty but solid Opel GT and a Ford 2.3L engine & T5 trans drivetrain out of a Ranger PU. Since a carbed 2.3L engine is not a powerhouse I intend to help it along by porting & milling the head. Hence the need for the adj. cam gear.

I came here looking for a used one for a low price. I know that I can buy them new but it will hurt the budget!

billf please contact me via PM about the gear you have.

I have an engine that just needs freshing for a new season that will fix power issues $1000 , EXCELLENT head on it !

joeg
02-08-2012, 08:19 AM
If you had to buy a bunch of offset keyways, you can spend more than the adjustable pulley.

jimbbski
02-08-2012, 01:36 PM
The engine is all done and the milling of the head retarted the cam timing just a bit which is a good thing to improve top end power. The engine hasn't been started yet but I am confident that it will run well. I don't however expect to have a powerhouse on my hands as the cam is still stock! Aftermarked cam not in the Lemons budget!

billf
02-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Jim,

As I told you early on, the cam sprocket is virtually wasted money. When milling the head, the timing moves exactly as you want it to (retarded timing), and the multi-key sprocket is not needed.

Joeg,

The 2.3 uses a round pin instead of a traditional key (hemispherical style retained in a grove in the nose of the cam). Ergo, there is no alternate "off-set key" to use to reset the timing.

Good luch with the projects, guys!!

Bill