PDA

View Full Version : Roll cage rules

NORRIS
11-30-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm thinking of building an STU E-36. I've looked through the GCR regarding roll cages. Maybe I'm old and feeble but I can't find any ST specific cage rules. My assumption is 8 points of attachment no going through the firewall.

Greg Amy
11-30-2011, 05:00 PM
GCR 9.4 governs minimum roll cage requirements for new cars.

9.4.E.1 states, "Improved Touring, Showroom Stock, Spec Miata, AND Touring...roll cage must attach...within the passenger compartment...a minimum of 6 points and a maximum of 8 points."

9.4.E.2 states, "All other classes–There is no limit on cage attachment points. The roll cage shall be integrated into the frame or chassis."

Welcome to the 'Roffe Corollary' to IIDSYCTYC: "If it says you can, you bloody well can!"

GA

Matt93SE
11-30-2011, 05:42 PM
What Greg said. In other words, build the strongest-badassest cage you want, and tie it into the chassis wherever you want.

you can also seam/stitch weld the chassis, so you might as well do it right the first time and strip the whole thing down to bare metal and start welding. :)

JS154
12-03-2011, 05:20 PM
GCR 9.4 governs minimum roll cage requirements for new cars.

9.4.E.1 states, "Improved Touring, Showroom Stock, Spec Miata, AND Touring...roll cage must attach...within the passenger compartment...a minimum of 6 points and a maximum of 8 points."

9.4.E.2 states, "All other classes–There is no limit on cage attachment points. The roll cage shall be integrated into the frame or chassis."

Welcome to the 'Roffe Corollary' to IIDSYCTYC: "If it says you can, you bloody well can!"

GA

STU requires an under dash bar, IT does not.