PDA

View Full Version : The Devil in the Dark 2012

Terry Hanushek
11-22-2011, 08:59 PM
The Jersey Racing Board (Northern New Jersey and South Jersey Regions) and New Jersey Motorsports Park announce the third running of The Devil in the Dark 12 Hour endurance race on NJMP's Thunderbolt Circuit. The 2012 edition will be held on Saturday, 28 April 2012 and will again run from noon to midnight. Plans are underway to expand the family-friendly spectator event at the track during the race with live entertainment, food and beverages. The 12 Hour will be a major NJMP spectator event in the 2012 season.

This race is a continuation of the successful events run in the past two years. The format and rules will be very similar to last year with a few minor changes based on last year's experience. We do anticipate a class restructuring to promote wider participation. If you missed The Devil this year, be sure to put it on your calendar for next year.

The entry package will be posted on the DLB (http://www.dlbracing.com) online registration system after the first of the year. Registration will open on 1 February 2012.

More spectators, more participants, more fun in 2012!

SAVE THE DATE

Terry

Flyinglizard
11-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Please expand about the classes and the sanction body. What rules, etc.
TIA, MM

preparedcivic
11-25-2011, 12:49 PM
General info here:

http://www.thedevilinthedark.com/

SCCA sanction, however with enough catch-all classes most any IT, Showroom Stock, Touring or Sports Racer can run.

Terry Hanushek
11-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Mike

Please expand about the classes and the sanction body. What rules, etc.

We are contemplating accepting our normal SCCA classes and along with classes of other sanctioning bodies in a few umbrella classes. Technical and regulatory aspects are still being studied so details are not available ... yet. Our objective is to post the event regulations by the end of the year.

Terry

eprodrx7
11-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Too bad this is the same weekend as the Grand Am race at Homestead. Don't think we'll be able to make it.:(

Terry Hanushek
11-29-2011, 10:48 PM
John

Too bad this is the same weekend as the Grand Am race at Homestead. Don't think we'll be able to make it.:(

Bummer :( :( ... The 12 Hour won't be the same without you

What do you have going with Grand Am?

Terry

CRallo
12-09-2011, 04:03 PM

This is part of a conspiracy no doubt!:024:

John

Bummer :( :( ... The 12 Hour won't be the same without you

What do you have going with Grand Am?

Terry

I know he was working on a ST Boxster that saw a couple races last year... but who knows what that man has up his sleeve!

eprodrx7
12-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Just started on Boxster #2. I'm all in now!
:eclipsee_steering:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/BERG_Racing/06%20Boxster%20ST%20car/IMG_0045.jpg

JS154
12-15-2011, 12:30 AM

That looks like it may be the same weekend as the NER April Rational event...

CRallo
12-15-2011, 12:51 AM
according to the tenative schedule on the NEDiv site, the Rational is the 21-22 of April or the previous weekend in other words. Do you know something that they don't?

Terry Hanushek
01-09-2012, 01:51 AM
The entry information (supps, schedule, etc.) for the 2012 edition of The Devil in the Dark is posted on DLB (http://www.dlbracing.com/)
(set filter for South Jersey Region | Club Race All) - and the event web site (http://thedevilinthedark.com/) .

The rules are essentially the same as last year with a few refinements based on our experience and competitor feedback.
All of last year's refinements including the elimination of timed pit stops were well received and have been retained.

The major change for 2012 is a revised class structure which consolidates the 23 disparate classes from last year's event
into five Endurance Classes. At the same time many comparable classes from other organizations have been included to
attract additional enduro enthusiasts. Every car will be in a class with many direct competitors to heighten interest
and raise the level of competition.

The entry for this year's race will open on 1 February 2012

Hope to see ya at The Devil

Terry

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/images/misc/progress.gif

Flyinglizard
01-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Over head fuel rigs? No time limit?

Must be money at the end of this race. What is the pay out?
TIA, MM

StephenB
01-29-2012, 01:56 AM
Over head fuel rigs? No time limit?

Must be money at the end of this race. What is the pay out?
TIA, MM

??? why ???

I don't get your reasoning for thinking this.

Stephen

Flyinglizard
01-29-2012, 12:26 PM
In the rules. it allows overhead rigs and no time limit for fuel.
That would be why.
These rules discourages IT racers from racing. Makes no sense IMHo. Just ups the entry cost to run near the front.
Copy success., copy success.

CRallo
01-31-2012, 05:07 PM
I have an IT car... and I HATE timed stops! Did we forget that it's racing? come one now! Just my humble opinion...

Knestis
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
I have an IT car with a dry break and 25 gallon cell... and I double freaking HATE timed stops! Did we forget that it's endurance racing? come one now! Just my humble opinion...

Edited for bonus correctness. Endurance racing is what it is because of this added dimension. We SHOULD gain an advantage by doing it better than other teams, if we decide to commit to it.

We've also reduced our refueling risk and spillage to essentially zero. That's not a bad thing, compared to the random collection of funnels and other half-baked crap we see getting used on those slow, "low pressure" fuel stops.

K

StephenB
01-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Copy success., copy success.

Not knocking your chump car series but I assume that is what your talking about. Different people measure success differently.

With this logic grand-am should get rid of the DP and GT cars at daytona and go back to the original Continental racecars only. Some like that race better and others don't. I like both. Eventhough we only had 14 DP cars I still would miss them.

Stephen

Brian Heun
02-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Registration is now open on DLB. Save $100 by registering by February 21.

Terry Hanushek
02-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Online registration for The Devil in the Dark is open on DLB (http://www.dlbracing.com/) - set your filter for South Jersey Region to see the event calendar.

Supps and Schedule (http://www.dlbracing.com/download.filx?FileID=1485) ... Register (http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/sjr-scca/enduro.aspx?EventID=4828&LMID=2935) ... Entry (http://www.dlbracing.com/Clubs/clubdrivers.aspx?EventID=4828&LMID=2923) List

Earlybird registration with a $100 price reduction is available until 21 February. Submitting an Intent to Enter will hold the Earlybird price and your spot in this year's race. Pit spaces will be selected in order of entry sequence.

See ya at The Devil

Terry

RSTPerformance
02-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Looks like a great event... Hoping to run one of these days!!!

Knestis
02-01-2012, 11:40 PM
We'd LOVE to get enough drivers together to do it in Pablo, with his new blue paint...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/421460_3306027768271_1195335230_3632928_1388364668 _n.jpg

K

StephenB
02-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Nice and Shiney!!!

Stephen

Flyinglizard
02-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Nice paint, K.
Every time we have waxed the Golf, it has gotten wacked.

The basic marketing/econ 101 is premised on the cost per return.
Most cost- less sales. If the cost to race the amateur endurance races, includes a fuel rig, you will have less racers, simple math.
As soon as you remove the time limit for fuel stops, you up the tech wars for fueling speed, more cost= less racing.

That simple rule will remove the three ITC guys from saying, "hey, lets go run the 12 hr, you bring tires, you bring fuel , I'll bring the car"

I race and respect all of my venues for what they are. I have cars that race SCCA, NASA, Chumpcar,track days. All have some redeeming value. somewhere.
Evey where tho, less rules equate to less racing and more cost.

SCCA Pro, used to Run Trans Am. The series cost a lot . The racing was poor inthe 2001 -2002years. The front guys drove off for the most part.
Most teams could be a few as 3 guys., No pit stops, 1 hr on track( to fit the TV slots).
Pro came up with new rules that required pit stops for fuel. Now you need 4 guys, fuel rigs, fresh tires, Tires/ wheels and fuel systems that can be serviced fast.
The cost per weekend doubled. The cost outlay per car was about 5-6k for improvements. For the same win cash. GT1 Teams stayed home.
I am pretty sure ,That was the last year for SCCA/ TA.

When I say to copy success, I mean to copy the stuff known to work. Upping the cost , does not increase racers. KISS and reasonable cost.
Pick the best points that have made something successful.
Chumpcar does just that. Chumpcar is running the best endurance series right now. One class , great trophies, good tracks. it is not perfect at all . The 500$ car thing is BS.
SCCA runs pretty good value sprint races.

Knestis
02-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Let's be clear about the paint thing... A few weeks ago, it looked like this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/402063_269629663100719_251904721539880_743124_1531 37051_n.jpg

The point at which that, the bumper/grill, and the LF fender were replaced, and everything else was between a million and a zillion track miles old, it was time. Pablo is a racer, not a show dog. :)

K

Bill Miller
02-07-2012, 05:06 PM
That's some serious body work Kirk! And if you end up running Pablo in NJ, give me a call!

brandonl
02-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Wow Kirk, Pablo is lookin good! Pablo's twin is totally revamped as well, mostly under the hood and the suspension... Probably putting a wrap on there before the 12hr. If you do come up, we will have a good 'ol ITB... err... E4 shootout. We are bringing a second ITB VW too.

Brandon

Knestis
02-13-2012, 11:17 AM
No renter love that I can find for Pablo... :(

K

Terry Hanushek
02-20-2012, 02:00 AM
The Earlybird entry deadline for The Devil in the Dark 2012 is Noon on 21 February. Entries submitted before the deadline
are eligible for the discounted entry fee.

See ya at The Devil

Terry

dgragu
03-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Looking for a good light bar set up for a 1990 ssm miata. Anyone have pictures of their set up. Also any info as to how much lighting we can add without overloading alternator

Flyinglizard
03-14-2012, 10:20 AM
How many are signed up?
Fuel rigs and all..
K, not going??
MM

Terry Hanushek
03-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Mike

How many are signed up?
Fuel rigs and all..

31 cars currently entered - more than started our initial race in 2010

Entry List (http://www.dlbracing.com/Clubs/clubdrivers.aspx?EventID=4828&LMID=2923)

C'mon up - we have a place for Chumpcars if the meet SCCA IT safety standards ... and a separate class (E5) for B Spec

See ya at the races

Terry

Knestis
03-15-2012, 08:58 PM
How many are signed up?
Fuel rigs and all..
K, not going??
MM

Actually, it appears we've worked out a deal to make it happen! Finalizing the entry this weekend. Pablo will be in the house.

K

Terry Hanushek
03-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Kirk

Pablo will be in the house.

KEWL

Terry

Knestis
03-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Our entry went in this evening so we're official.

:026:

Terry - We'll be running with Brandon Lewis's Golf. I put in the same team name to (I hope) make it clear that we'll want to pit together. Can we use the same team rep?

K

preparedcivic
03-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Our entry went in this evening so we're official.

:happy204: :026: :eclipsee_steering: :023:

Terry Hanushek
03-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Kirk

We'll be running with Brandon Lewis's Golf. I put in the same team name to (I hope) make it clear that we'll want to pit together. Can we use the same team rep?

We will be publishing the the Pit Layout and Pit Sign Up procedure in an Administrative Bulletin in early April. I'm sure that we can get you two together. Normally, the Designated Team Representative is a member of the team but I have no problem with two teams sharing a DTR. The best was to do this is drop our Registrar Val Heun a note at [email protected] a note telling who will be your common DTR and reference this post.

See ya at The Devil

Terry

tdw6974
05-01-2012, 08:48 AM
:shrug:Report???!!!:D

CRallo
05-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Bimmerworld came with their enduro car... had about 20 laps on the field. Fast car, huge cell and pro crew! TrackPro/Bulldog smashed their M3 in the rain causing one of only two FCY's... Limitless Racing was there with their R8 LMS, but were only running 2.5 hours to test for the GA race. The car was fast and sounded awesome!! Their rookie started the race from pole, spun and made it back to first before the driver change. They don't have a pro crew... I think the Bimmerworld car had the lead the whole rest of the way. The number white 61 Mx5 Cup car had a fuel pickup/sending unit issue that we found the hard way and got towed in for our first stop! :/ but solid driving and awesome stops got us back up to 10th overall which we held even when we lost 4th and then 5th and then 6th!! Fortunately for us it rained pretty solid for the last two hours... We still were passing people! I fueled that car in a last minute deal with Hale Motorsports and had a great time!!!!

Some bumping and banging out there, pretty clean overall... Body Motion had a Caymen there that was second over all. Dog Gone Racing was the leading Spec Racer in 9th overall and technically 3rd in class(E2). Some good tight racing out there between Miata's... Not sure how E3 turned out. The ITB VW's ran well as far as I could tell... Not sure if they ever had to stop for gas! LOL

Some what random off the top of my head stuff. I wasn't smart enough to get a results sheet...

callard
05-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Kirk said that they had parts breakage that never happened before. He suspects manufacturing issues.
The Radial Motorsports Acura finished 3rd O/A and 1st in class behind the BMW and Porsche. Not bad for a 1.8 liter car that ran the entire time it was raining on dry tires.
Tom Beverly is the new rain god! :happy204:

brandonl
05-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Kirk said that they had parts breakage that never happened before. He suspects manufacturing issues.
The Radial Motorsports Acura finished 3rd O/A and 1st in class behind the BMW and Porsche. Not bad for a 1.8 liter car that ran the entire time it was raining on dry tires.
Tom Beverly is the new rain god! :happy204:

Pics of these broken parts are coming soon. Stay tuned.

Brandon

Terry Hanushek
05-03-2012, 02:26 AM
Congratulations to Harold Petit, Randy Mueller, David Baker and Scott Baker from the #28 Johnstone Supply Team BMW M3 for their second consecutive victory in The Devil in the Dark 2012. This year the team covered 433 laps exceeding last year's winning total of by five laps.

And congratulations to the other 38 teams that hit the track in the third edition of The Devil. Several teams struggled with mechanical gremlins, a few did not finish but 30 teams were still running when the checker flag flew at the end of the 12 hours.

Class Podiums

E1

1 - #28 Johnstone Supply BMW M3 - 433 laps
2 - #20 Bodymotion Racing 1 Porsche Cayman - 415 laps
3 - #92 Team Track Pro BMW M3 - 288 laps

E2

1 - #94 Radial Motorsports Acura Integra - 405 laps
2 - #99 Elgin Racing Mazda MX5 - 403 laps
3 - #21 Dog Gone Racing Spec Racer Ford - 396 laps

E3

1 - #58 Henwood Motorsports / Main Line Overland Miata - 403 laps
2 - #32 Flatout Motorsports 2 Miata - 402 laps
3 - #91 Bollywoodlawn Sync'd Miata - 399 laps

E4

1 - #2 Team Troxell VW Golf - 341 laps
2 - #9 Ted Hulse Racing Honda Si - 313 laps
3 - #42 Maximum Attack Motorsports 2 VW Golf - 303 laps

The complete results are at: http://www.nediv.com/images/results/clubracing/regional/2012/120428-devilinthedark.pdf

Thanks to all of the teams who helped make this year's 12 Hour a very successful event.

See ya same time, same place next year

Terry

Knestis
05-03-2012, 12:04 PM
We talked about it in person, Terry, but so I'm on public record as well, I think the "E" classing structure is a great idea and was implemented well.

There will always be someone who thinks they are getting dorked by the grouping but, particularly in an endurance race, the variables controlled by the teams and drivers have a MUCH greater influence on outcomes than do the class we're plunked in.

Fewer classes and more competition should always be an objective in our game.

K

RSTPerformance
05-04-2012, 10:03 AM
I wasn't at the race but I like K said, wish more enduros were that way! In my ITB car I would rather finish last trying than first just driving around...

Raymond

brandonl
05-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Pics of these broken parts are coming soon. Stay tuned.

Brandon

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/jerseybrandon/Race%20car%20stills%20and%20details/all.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/jerseybrandon/Race%20car%20stills%20and%20details/rearhub2.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/jerseybrandon/Race%20car%20stills%20and%20details/frontspindle.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/jerseybrandon/Race%20car%20stills%20and%20details/cv.jpg

mossaidis
05-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Sorry about the parts explosion...

I think tGA said it once as well as others. if you want to run lengthy enduros and survive until the end, you need a car setup to run just enduros. You better have installed new ball joints, axles, bearings, hubs, brakes, rotors, etc... and done so for every enduro.

"$$$$ I will make it rain all in here! $$$$" ... yeah not. :)

Bill Miller
05-08-2012, 11:46 PM
There used to be a big problem w/ A1 (Rabbit) VW front wheel bearings. You pretty much could not torque the axle nuts too much. I used to use a 3/4" breaker bar w/ a 6' long pipe and stand on it, to tighten mine (or the 3/4" impact gun w/ 180 psig of air behind it).

I know Cameron is pretty meticulous w/ Pablo, and I know Kirk is almost fanatical about presenting a well prepared car, so I'm a bit hesitant to speculate that the axle nut wasn't torqued enough, but that's what the pictures look like.

Flyinglizard
05-09-2012, 09:28 PM
I pack my axles evrey 14hrs. check the bearings the same. ( stethoscope)
I use a bearing grease press to pack the bearings with mobil one Synthetic.
Torque the axle nut every morning.
I dont go over on the toque as much as Bill. maybe the breaker bar and 160# gently standing on the end.

Yeah, to be successful you need to go over the entire car for any endurance racing, every race.
I have gone to failure point reduction. Simplify and get rid of complicated stuff. The wiring is all surface mount and tagged. 100% soldered.
The brakes, calipers, pads, rear cylinders, are fresh every time . water cooled brake ducts. Welded chain loop exhaust retainers.
Double nuts every where. MLS head gaskets, dual ignition modules, coils, . It doesnt stop.

StephenB
11-10-2012, 01:42 AM
We loved the Watkins Glen 4 hr this year so we are now thinking that this event is a "Must do" for 2013! Does anyone know how many drivers you can enter for a car? entry form last year had 5 spots BUT nothing limited the drivers. Sadly we will need to stop every Hr with the RX8 for gas. Since you need to exit the car to do a pit stop why not change out drivers. Thinking if 11 or 12 of us did this it wouldnt be that expensive and I think we could afford it :)

We use about 1 gallon of fuel every 5 minutes so it looks like 150 gallons for the race and probably up over 220gallons for the event. $850 in gas

2 sets of tires $1K each (not hoosiers, maybe BFG)

entry fee $750

Brakes $300 (Do you all change them 1/2 way??)

Complete fluid flush Oil $20, rear end $30, tranny $30

And if NOTHING Breaks.... that might be all the expense? thoughts??

4K plus travel and food??

Stephen

Knestis
11-10-2012, 08:12 AM
The track was ROUGH on tires last year...

K

brandonl
11-10-2012, 10:05 AM
There is a max number of drivers (6, iirc), check out last years supps. Kirk is right, you burn through left front tires at njmp. Interesting idea though.

Brandon

webhound
11-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Mogren, can you share more about your hub/bearing pm? Are your bearings and hubs always fresh, or do you just repack the bearings with hi quality grease? What tool do you use to pack them? Have to pull the seals and replace them afterwards?

Terry Hanushek
11-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Stephen

We loved the Watkins Glen 4 hr this year so we are now thinking that this event is a "Must do" for 2013! Does anyone know how many drivers you can enter for a car? entry form last year had 5 spots BUT nothing limited the drivers. Sadly we will need to stop every Hr with the RX8 for gas. Since you need to exit the car to do a pit stop why not change out drivers. Thinking if 11 or 12 of us did this it wouldnt be that expensive and I think we could afford it :)

I know you guys have been very interested in long distance enduros and its great that you are actively considering The Devil in the Dark 2013.

We have never had a specific limit on the number of drivers (nor any requests for a team as large as yours :)). I'm sure that we can accommodate your team - let me know how I can help you.

Hope to see ya at The Devil

Terry

StephenB
11-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the reply Terry! I am going to start getting the tropps ready to go and we are going to try and make this happen. Lemons has nothing on us... this is AFFORDABLE racing!! Should be a blast.

Need to get the number plates and figure out the gas thing. Do people normally just keep buying gas at the track or do they bring a crap load in with them? that is a LOT of gas cans!

Stephen

StephenB
12-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Terry any info on the 2013 devil? I am all excited watching the threads on the 25 hours at Thunderhill! I will keep watching for a new thread on this site :)

Stephen

webhound
12-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Terry any info on the 2013 devil? I am all excited watching the threads on the 25 hours at Thunderhill! I will keep watching for a new thread on this site :)

Stephen

+1. I'd actually like to see all the Enduros listed in one thread. Looks like there's one at NJMP already on the calendar for April 26-27, anyone know the length of that one?

Knestis
12-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Unless something weird happened, it's 12 hours.

K

Terry Hanushek
12-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Stephen / Will

Kirk is right - The Devil in the Dark is returning.

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31266

See ya at The Devil

Terry

brandonl
12-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the reply Terry! I am going to start getting the tropps ready to go and we are going to try and make this happen. Lemons has nothing on us... this is AFFORDABLE racing!! Should be a blast.

Need to get the number plates and figure out the gas thing. Do people normally just keep buying gas at the track or do they bring a crap load in with them? that is a LOT of gas cans!

Stephen

Stephen,

We bring 55 gallon drums. Fill them before you enter the track and avoid the higher prices at NJMP. Transfer to your fill cans, then send a gopher out to refill the drum(s), or just bite the bullet and refill at the track pumps.

Hope to see you guys out there, we will be servicing a mighty thirsty rotary car this year as well. Yikes.

Brandon