PDA

View Full Version : Car sitting for years

backformore
11-22-2011, 09:15 AM
I have a friends 86 CRX Si that we are going to try to return to life. It has been sitting for several years. He said it ran when he parked it. Any suggestions on what to do before trying to start it.

I will change the oil and filter and drain the tank (if I can).

Thanks.

callard
11-22-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't know if it's and interference motor (valves can hit pistons if mistimed) or not, but if it is, change the cam belt before starting.

timo944
11-22-2011, 12:01 PM
I did a similar project a couple of years ago. Get pressure in the fuel system and check for leaks before starting the motor.

Ditto on the cam belt. Check the idler pulleys at the same time and make sure the water pump turns freely.

Should be a-OK. Good luck!

joeg
11-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Just turn the motor over by hand.

If it is free, simply add battery and fuel and crank it to life.

Once it is running, then change everything.

boywonder
11-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Just turn the motor over by hand.

If it is free, simply add battery and fuel and crank it to life.

Once it is running, then change everything.

Ditto what Joe says. My CRX had sat untouched in a field for a year or two when I bought it and other than changing the fuel filters first I did just what Joe said. After firing it up I changed everything, including the filters again, and had the carb rebuilt.

joeg
11-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah...I actually did one this summer for a renter. Car sat for 10 years (at least it was in a cow barn).

Once it fired up, then I could make the deal and jump into all the neccessary maintenance and updates--paid by the renter.

Flyinglizard
11-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Change or check the rod and mainbearings. the oil can get acidic and corrod the bearings. If you do it right away, the engine should live on. But it a good bet that they should be swapped.

Matt93SE
11-22-2011, 11:47 PM
usually I'll pull the spark plugs and put a teaspoon of oil or ATF in each hole and then let it sit a few days before turning the engine.
then I turn it over by hand a few cranks to make sure nothing is seized. if all that passes, then get some fresh fuel and oil in it and fire it up.

backformore
11-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks for all the input. I will see how it goes.

evanwebb
11-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Put a brick on the accelerator, squirt an entire can of starting fluid into intake, and start the car with a remote starter :-)

jimbbski
11-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Biggest problem with be with the fuel system. Not sure if it's FI or carb but either way that's where you will have the most problems. Rust in the tank, varnish, ect. can clog the fuel filters, jets or injectors, and fuel pumps. Most oils if just sitting in the pan will be OK if not contaminated with gasoline or water.

128 racecar
11-24-2011, 07:46 AM
My specialty- starting clunkers in fields for years!

Drain all gas! As mentioned above, then test flow to flush system and look for leaks. Dump in some Seafoam into the fuel system.

Pull plugs and put a couple tablespoons of ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil down each cylinder. Let sit a couple of days, and then crank by hand. Save yourself some heartbreak- change the timing belt 1st!

If the above goes ok, change the oil and crank the motor with the plugs out to get the oil pressure up 1st. Then put the plugs in and go for it.

Have a fire extinguisher handy, PIN OUT!

Marc in Indy

ITC Racer
11-28-2011, 02:30 PM
You may want to pull the valve cover and squirt some oil on the cam bearings. Some first gen CRXen had an issue with cam bearings siezing. Definitely drain as much fuel out as you can- I believe the tanks have a drain plug on them.