PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor car storage questions

G-Man
11-15-2011, 10:52 AM
I think I'll store my IT-A Rx-7 outside this winter, probably on its open trailer. I'm in Colorado - winter ranges from -20F to 70F, relatively dry.
I drained the coolant, disconnected the battery, it's on scrap tires, loosened the tie downs, and has a good quality car cover.
Anything else? Would mothballs discourage the little animals of the forest from eating the wires?

Separately, a friend in NY state has a VW-based kitcar and wants to store it outside. No coolant, of course. Anything special for this car?

Thanks!

seckerich
11-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Pull a plug on each chamber and put some ATF in and roll it around. Keeps the seals from rusting with moisture over the temp changes. Best way to store any rotary for extended periods. Put plugs back and you are good for the winter.

zchris
11-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Plug the exhaust pipe and pull air cleaner and plug intake. Mice love to live in the engine for some reason. One year I pulled my dirt bike out and notice a hole in the air cleaner. Damn mouse had eaten thru it and gone down thru the carb, into the engine and had set up house in the cylinder. Pissed in it all winter. Had to put a new crank and cylinder in it. That was an expensive lesson. If your lucky they will only build a nest somewhere in the frame horn or under the dash. In the miatas they like to nest up over the fuel tank. Yes I have had my fair share of problems. Thats why I have an enclosed trailer now.
Chris

Dano77
11-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Its Carburated,so drain the fuel bowls and add stable or something to prevnt the fuel bowls from getting gummed up. ATF or Marvel down the carb when running till it stalls is a good way to fog the whole system. This way the seals stay some what free in the summer. Sucks to have to free up apex seals.

Add Antifreeze evn though the system is drained. Rotor housings arent available,and they crack. Antifreeze is cheap.

G-Man
11-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks, all!
One addition - remove fire bottles/extinguishers.

billf
11-17-2011, 10:17 PM
If possible, mount junk wheels and tires (spare tires?). Wrap a cover under the car when on the open trailer (keep most of the weather from blowing under the car.). You can do this before you put the car-cover over the top.

Antifreeze also will reduce the rusting of the interior of the cooling passages. In the spring, you can drain it out, save it and use it the next winter.

Moth balls in the car's interior.

Try a can (pick the appropiate size) over the open end of the exhaust pipe.

Put the battery in a warm place, and use a new generation trickle charger (Battery Tender, etc).

Bill