PDA

View Full Version : STU tranny question

cschimmel
11-14-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm considering a project and wanted to run it by you folks to see if it makes sense.I'm retiring from WTW for a while.I have an A2 VW that I've raced in ITB for what seems like forever( 12 years) .The CIS e is developed as far as I can take it and in general I want to see what goes on in SCCA over the next year or so to see if I want to play anymore. The plan is to just do track events for a while.
My project involve keeping the A2 platform and installing a 1.8 turbo from the A4 series. The motor is turboed so I run a restrictor for STU ,not for track days,but my question is ,can I install the engine & tranny as a unit? It says differential housing may be changed,so I'm asuming I can swap the whole thing.I'd like to keep the axles ,hubs ,etc because of their beefiness. Its' not real clear,at least to me ,whether the whole drive package can be swapped
The thought of 200 hp and 2000 lbs sounds like a really nice change.
I'm sure there is some monkey wrench somewhere.I have been taking measurements from my DD which is a 04 GTI with the 1.8 T and so far it seems like a bolt-in deal.
Am I on the right track??
Thanks,
Chris

Matt93SE
11-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Trans is unrestricted in STU.
i.e. dog boxes are OK, sequentials are OK with a weight penalty
final drive is unrestricted, differential type is unrestricted (open, clutch type LSD, helical, whatever)

Based on that, I would say that swapping the tranny that came with whatever engine you're putting in would fall under the "unrestricted" limitation.

You might have to do some customization of the CV/axles to make it all work, but that is allowed as well, as long as you keep the parts "like stock". i.e. if you have to swap one end of an axle out or shorten a factory axle by 1", that's fine. But you can't install a carbon fiber axle shaft or use ceramic bearings in the CV (unless it came that way from the factory).

Greg Amy
11-14-2011, 06:08 PM
The whole drivetrain package can be swapped. - GA

cschimmel
11-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks Guys for your valued opinions. I'm going to go ahead and start this project.
Chris

Timo
11-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Chris,
Build the same car for STU last year, A2 Golf w/ 1.8T Audi
Quite a learning curve, torque is the strong suit but handling
is a different matter.
Will be glad to answer any questions. pittstimd at gmail dot com

Tim Pitts
#11 HP Golf
#97 STU Golf