PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a cheap, reliable car for rent?

GJB1
11-11-2011, 09:33 PM
For the Feb Roebling double school, I can go but I need a car! My 240SX is still under construction.

email @ [email protected] or call 678-777-3714.

--Greg

faketree
11-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Greg, call Tom Fowler at OPM Autosports 770-886-8199. He has Integras and Miatas. :023:

GJB1
11-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Greg, call Tom Fowler at OPM Autosports 770-886-8199. He has Integras and Miatas. :023:
Thanks for the info! I may call OPM but keep in mind the word "cheap".

downingracing
11-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the info! I may call OPM but keep in mind the word "cheap".

No rental is Cheap... Even if I rent you my ITA/SM Miata (which is a rental) for a double driver’s school weekend at a crazy low price - you are still responsible for any damage that may happen to it. So a cheap rental fee can turn into $10k+ for a destroyed race car. So I'm a guy with a car to rent (bought it to rent it) and I've talked everyone out of renting it who have wanted to... Not good for business, but haven't had someone who can actually afford to write it off come looking for a rental. With the cheap prices to purchase a built race car - you can buy one for $4000 and use it for the weekend. If you've got a car left at the end (and odds are you will), you can sell it for a loss and still be ahead. Even a cheap rental is going to be?? $1k for a double driver’s school weekend? And that sounds low/low to me... Even at that number - you cap your potential out of pocket at $4k with a purchase like above.

Another option is: How far off is the car you're building? Cage and other safety items - running/driving/stopping and no parts falling off is about all you need for drivers school. Get it to pass tech and have fun! Feb is MONTHS away! Call some friends and buy some beer and get it done!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)

tom91ita
11-13-2011, 08:24 AM
+ 1 on finish the car. there is time.

if it is cash flow issue, take the rental $$ and hire work done on the car to finish it.

or buy a car and sell as Matt suggests:

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29889

many cars for sell just need minor updates or new belts, etc. and the belts can be moved to or from your car.

good luck with the build. looking forward to the driver school writeup either way.

JeffYoung
11-14-2011, 05:35 AM
Try Ricky Thompson at R&R Motorsports/Body Shop. He's in Goldsboro (and to be up front, a friend) but he has the most reasonable SM rental rates I know of.

Here:

http://www.rrbodyshopinc.com/contact.htm

You won't get a catered lunch like with OPM but his cars are well prepped and reliable, and fast.

Flyinglizard
11-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Protech racing has 2 VW Golfs @ 1200$ per double school. 1000$ crash deposit.
The SM is 1600$ and 2000$ deposit.
MM

Chip42
11-14-2011, 08:31 PM
We have an ITB honda del sol available. We're out of orlando but we're scheduled to be at the school already with space in the trailer.

Tristan Smith
11-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Greg,

This by far will be the cheapest way for you to go.

http://www.improvedtouring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29908

It will also give you a means to keep your license after you have done the schools.

Andy Bettencourt
11-21-2011, 10:55 AM
One thing to understand about renting for a school is to rent from someone who can KEEP YOU ON TRACK. If you flat-spot a tire, bend the car, lose a clutch, etc...you need your hours. If you count on a 'just built my first car' to get you around for 2 days without an issue, you are really taking a gamble.

Much money has been lost by students whose cars were unreliable, didn't have enough crew to help, or hurt a car with a 'shoe-string' program. You are investing a lot of money in travel, hotel, and entry fees - not to mention your expectations, to miss your sign-off because you didn't get your hours.

Rent.

downingracing
11-21-2011, 12:46 PM
One thing to understand about renting for a school is to rent from someone who can KEEP YOU ON TRACK. If you flat-spot a tire, bend the car, lose a clutch, etc...you need your hours. If you count on a 'just built my first car' to get you around for 2 days without an issue, you are really taking a gamble.

Much money has been lost by students whose cars were unreliable, didn't have enough crew to help, or hurt a car with a 'shoe-string' program. You are investing a lot of money in travel, hotel, and entry fees - not to mention your expectations, to miss your sign-off because you didn't get your hours.

Rent.

All very true! MAKE SURE to have crew! You will not have time to be working on the car if it needs anything. Using a proven car is the way to go. If you rent - make sure the crash damage maximum is a # you can live with. Which goes back to my buy/drive advice. Pickup a known good basic car for cheap and you're close to there! LIke I said - I've got a Miata I can rent you and I can make the renal cheap! But the crash damage waiver is not cheap if the car gets trashed...

Matt

Flyinglizard
11-24-2011, 05:06 PM
That is why we have 4000$ in spares,plus the 20hr of prep.
The car has to run the entire weekend, just add fuel.MM

Knestis
03-05-2012, 09:39 AM
You are the bag of solution for women personal cleansing internally. The people who shall be clicking on the signature provided links are expected to be suffering the utmost unconformability from related members in a forum.

<babelfish> Don't click this dooshe's links. </bablefish>

K

Chip42
03-05-2012, 11:48 AM
You are the bag of solution for women personal cleansing internally. The people who shall be clicking on the signature provided links are expected to be suffering the utmost unconformability from related members in a forum.

<babelfish> Don't click this dooshe's links. </bablefish>

K

:happy204:well done!

CRallo
03-05-2012, 02:27 PM
interesting that the previous comment is also spam.... guess we all missed that one the first time around.