PDA

View Full Version : STL engine builds?

Pages : 1 [2]

Chip42
02-27-2012, 10:29 AM
bob, first, I want you to know that I agree with your principle and with your intent to make the SCCA more attractive to exisiting cars built to run with other sanctions. 100% with you on these principles. STL rules are new and unfortunately seemed get the cart in front of the horse in some respects. Published rules are not often overhauled, less so when they are new.

Keeping that in mind:

if you have a Teg R setup for ITR, you may run it in STL AS IS, at the IT weight and in full compliance to the ITCS. same for an S2000 or anythign else classed in IT with a 2.0L or smaller engine (over 2.0L in STU). so those cars "may" compete in STL, just not at full STL prep levels.

Honda is the LAST manufacturer that should have an angry mob demanding non-USDM engine allowances. they have great small motors HERE (B16/17/18, K20). it's Nissan and Toyota in particular (but asian manufacturers not called "Honda" in general) who need home market support, as they sold "focus-grouped" econoboxes here before moving to "large" displacement stump pullers. Some euro and even domestic brands (ford europe, GM's Opel, etc) have simillar offerings outside of the states that would be great for STL.

As for de-tune, the intent of the phrase is to maintain the stock long block and reduce cam lift to the class limits (an accepted example is the Celica GTS 1.8L 2ZZ-GE which has over-limit valve lift). OEM compression can stay if over 11:1. the phrase does NOT mean to bolt a GSR head/intake combo to a tegR bottom end, unless you can prove that the 2 bottom ends are identical aside from compression. as delivered, they are not. even then, having "B18C5" stamped on the block of a "GSR" is illegal on its face.

I've argued in the past that anything within the displacement, CR, and lift limits of the class should be acceptable, but was refuted with arguments about rules enforcement. in reality its an attempt at artificial fiscal restraint, by keeping things "stock" you keep the development costs contained, at least on big-ticket items. imagine a field of 1.5 to 2.0L, 11:1, 0.425" valve lift 16V engines with Dart blocks and heads the likes of that seen in F1, with individual throttle bodies and all that. $100k motors before they even get bolted in. this is the "open" class concept taken to it's limits. so instead, the rules were written to make the class use stock USDM parts, which means the previous scenario is replaced by B and K series Hondas, 2ZZ Toyotas, and BP mazdas (which will do well because of the chassis they come bolted to, not the engine per se, though it's not a bad mill it's just not going to make honda level specific output).

I've just accepted that it's like hotwheels: some cars not for use will some sets.

Greg Amy
02-27-2012, 10:45 AM
No disagreement with Chip's point above, but...

if you have a Teg R setup for ITR, you may run it in STL AS IS, at the IT weight and in full compliance to the ITCS. same for an S2000...

...please don't fall in love with this. This was a committee oversight and is very likely to be "corrected" soon.

Cue whining.

GA

Andy Bettencourt
02-27-2012, 10:48 AM

...please don't fall in love with this. This was a committee oversight and is very likely to be "corrected" soon.

Cue whining.

GA

Opinions aside, at least we know it's coming and being 'corrected'.

CRallo
02-27-2012, 02:37 PM
*whine*

Cue whining.

GA

Chip42
02-27-2012, 03:17 PM

Cue whining.

GA

argument = "makes no sense."

Greg Amy
02-27-2012, 05:45 PM
argument = "makes no sense."

My personal opinion on the matter - please reread the bold part, and if you missed that, please read my signature - is that it makes absolutely no sense to classify an alternate-category car in Super Touring that may have a chance to be competitive. As much as 99.99% of the people on this board wish otherwise, the Super Touring Category prep specs are the whole point of Super Touring, and everything else is "grid filler".

[waving finger] Oh no you didn't say that!!! [/waving finger] Yup, I did. Tell me you're shocked. We - sorry, I - really do mean that part where it says:

While IT cars may not be competitive in the ST category,
their inclusion in the category will allow regional competitors to
participate in national events.

Improved Touring was, as I recall, the very first "inclusion" category added to the STCS, and we've consistently added more upon request since. Note that each one of those has more than a sprinkling of "sure, come play in the sandbox, but please don't expect to have a big chance of winning." This cannot be news to you...

The deal with the ITR cars is simple: I blew it. I personally authored and sponsored changing the rules last year to explicitly allow 2L IT cars into Super Touring Light, knowing that the performance level STL is probably going to be around ITR times. At the time, I was thinking about ITS-level performance and completely and totally forgot to look through ITCS and see that there was, in fact, three ITR cars of less than 2L displacement.

Simply put, it is not my personal intention to classify alternate-category cars into Super Touring that have a reasonable chance of winning against full-up-built ST cars. I can't think of any other category in any other organization that would stand for that.

I am speaking only for myself and can only infer that the rest of the STAC and the CRB is on board with that intent.

Hey, "my bad". :shrug:

GA

Chip42
02-27-2012, 06:14 PM
I just think it's odd. even <2.0L ITR cars should be at a disadvantage to full prep STL cars. too many exceptions. yeah, I know they are SUPPSOED to be field filler, but note where the quoted STCS text says "may not be competitive" - my impression was that it's not expected, but hey, good on ya if you are.

of course, now that weight is being added to the class as a whole, the ITR cars look even more attractive. so now I can see where you might want to say only ITS/A/B/C cars of <2L can play. heck, I'd make it ITS/A below 2.0L and any ITB/C cars of 1985 and newer...

I'm not trying to dump all over STL. I like the idea of the class. but all of the arbitrary "lines in sand", talk of a higher RWD adder, exlusions and inclusions and partial exceptions etc.. have made it 1 - very confusing to the competitors and officials who spend less time worrying about it than a relative few, and 2 - seemingly non sensical AND exclusionist to cars that "should" be the target players.

I say move your lines up a bit, let in the ITR/S2000 in with a cam detune to the current 11:1, 0.425, etc.. rules, allow all <2.0L IT cars, and allow specline approved non-USDM motors (i.e. case by case). adjust weight equations on the class so that this works (so an STL tegR should be lighter than an ITR tegR, STL S2000 lighter than ITR S2000, etc..). ignore pending bspec cars because they aren't going to be competitive anyhow (even with a motor swap. they are breadvans with rudimentary suspensions). leave the RWD adder alone (for now, at least, which is what I think you have said is being done). remove the 4cyl limit. keep everything else unchanged (in reality, these proposals affect 2 paragraphs of the STCS). end the whining, grow the class.

free advice, worth what you paid for it.

Andy Bettencourt
02-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Of course they will be! Even the top ITR car on paper is a dog compared to this 175whp 1.6L monster. It's not even close!

Robbie
02-27-2012, 10:52 PM
If the CRB doesn't want to bother balancing engine potentials, then they had better only allow 16 valve engines that had redlines 6000 or less because otherwise there will always be someone whining tKhat their 5800 rpm redline 1.6 Geo Storm econobox with 28mm intake valves getting spanked by a 8000 rpm redline honda 1.6 having 5mm bigger valves and a heck of a lot better intake.

My Geo Storm revs to 7700 thank you very much. It's also funny that someone racing an Integra derides a Storm as an econobox. :p

Bob Roth
02-28-2012, 01:41 AM
OMG, and here I thought I'd picked a car that nobody would be offended by. I suppose he's the STL CRB rep too!