PDA

View Full Version : Brake rule

karter74
10-26-2011, 07:07 PM
I was talking to another driver today and he was saying something about a rule that allows brake changes with a weight penalty. I looked through the GCR and couldn't find it. Is this an old rule (he has been racing a while) or has it never existed? He was suggesting I do it for my car. I would love to but I could see how this could get out of hand.

Greg Amy
10-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Never existed; the guy's wrong. Stock brake components only, alternate pads OK, stock equivalent rotors.

Now, what kind of car do you have? There may be another spec-line version of your car that has larger brakes that weighs more.

GA

karter74
10-26-2011, 07:32 PM
I think this is a case where he has been racing too long and is getting his rule sets mixed up. He was trying to help. Unfortunately There are no bigger brakes for my car 98 GTI VR6. I am looking for something that won't retain heat as much. I have lots of brake but the rotor have external vents and ducting has proven difficult. We'll get it figured out. Thanks.

DoubleXL240Z
10-26-2011, 09:22 PM
No weight, but ITB Porsche 924? :shrug:

StephenB
10-26-2011, 11:08 PM
There may be another spec-line version of your car that has larger brakes that weighs more.

GA

This was essentially what happened with the old ITB Audi's. When the VIN rule came out you could then upgrade the brakes/wheel bearings but with a 50lb added weight penalty since they are on seperate spec lines...

Stephen

On edit: In case your looking that weight penalty was eliminated this year when they ran the newer ITB audi through the process.