PDA

View Full Version : Are COPs legal?

pitbull113
10-25-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm planning on changing my '94 miata over to the Toyota COPs and I think it's legal but I figure I'll check with the experts before I take the plung.

Greg Amy
10-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Negatory, Batman.

We had this discussion just a couple months ago (was it here or on RRAX?) and the rule, as stated:

Any ignition system which utilizes the original distributor for spark timing and distribution is permitted.

...does not allow it. With CoP the spark distribution is no longer being done by the distributor; ergo, CoP is not compliant to the IT regs... - GA

pitbull113
10-25-2011, 02:04 PM
crap. thanks

JohnW8
10-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Since the Miata has a distributorless ignition system the Cam Angle sensor sends the signal to the coils when to fire. So in this case I would think the Cam angle sensor would be considered the distributor. As long as it's still there and not replaced with a crank trigger why would that be illegal?

Greg Amy
10-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Since the Miata has a distributorless ignition system the Cam Angle sensor sends the signal to the coils when to fire.
Ok, different horse, then. That's right, I forgot my '94 had that double coil-pack on the back of the engine.

Any ignition system which utilizes the original distributor for
spark timing and distribution is permitted. Internal distributor
components and distributor cap may be substituted. Crankfire
ignition systems are prohibited unless fitted as original equipment.
Any spark plugs and ignition wires may be used. Ignition
timing is unrestricted.I.T. is "IIDSYCTYC" (If It Doesn't Say You Can Then You Can't). Coils are not mentioned, but they are currently being freely replaced under the "any ignition system" clause. My logic:

- "IIDSYCTYC", first and foremost.
- "Any ignition system" invokes the Roffe Corollary to "IIDSYCTYC", or "If it Says You Can, Then You Bloody Well Can!"
- "...which utilizes the original distributor..."; not relevant. "Distributor" does not apply to this car.
- "Crankfire ignition systems are prohibited..."; not relevant.

On re-thought, due to the engine not having a distributor, and that the ignition is otherwise free (as it pertains to this engine), I'm game to say CoP on this car is, in fact, compliant to the ITCS regulations.

GA

JohnW8
10-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks Greg.

I wasn't sure I could remember where I hid my original Mazda coil setup if I had to change it back.

pitbull113
10-25-2011, 05:55 PM
thanks greg and john for clearing this up. :happy204:

Greg Amy
10-25-2011, 08:40 PM
You're welcome, and remember: this is only one person's opinion, and a very unofficial (yet highly enlightened ;)) one at that. - GA

pitbull113
10-25-2011, 08:43 PM
gotcha. i'll delay cutting and hacking my wire harness for a couple of days and am open to other opinions as to the legality of this mod.

Matt93SE
10-25-2011, 11:02 PM
gotcha. i......am open to other opinions as to the legality of this mod.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it is wrong. :p

joeg
10-26-2011, 07:44 AM
...unless the distributor has any rubber in it!