PDA

View Full Version : DAN JONES....A class act!

Robert Zecca
10-24-2011, 01:29 PM
This past weekend we held a NJRRS event at the Lightning circuit and NJMP. The event was very well attended with about 165 cars and sunny skies throughout the weekend.

Dan Jones shows up with his red BMW and breaks an engine part on Saturday in the race. His mechanic Jim Locke thrashes to get the car repaired. It was a broken valve retainer. Dan starts from the rear of the field on Sunday for the first race and at the end finishes second overall to John Hainesworth and comes within .2 seconds of the track record in ITS. His team has to make a timing change and Dan opts to start this time from the rear for the second race of the day knowing he will be the quickest and did not want to mess up the race for others. Dan then goes out and passes everyone to take the overall win and breaks the track record.

This man could drive.....he cares for the sport and shows respect for other drivers in the process. I questioned Dan as to why he wanted to start from the rear and as I mentioned earlier he said that he did not want to mess up the race for others or have them end the race early due to lapping the field but the one thing he did say is that he competes against himself and tries to better himself in the process each time he goes out. I am so impressed by Dan and his accomplishments. Those of you may know that Dan is a Vietnam vet as well and has done so much for our country in the past. Congrats Dan Jones and his team for your hard efforts...you achieved your goal!

fyi.....Frank Sanchez also opted to start from the rear for his races as to not lap the field and ruin track time for others. Frank is up there in my book as well.

dj10
10-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Robert,
Thank you for all the kind words but I'm not sure if I deserve all of them.