PDA

View Full Version : Intake rules clarification

Gyvven
09-27-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm reading through the rules trying to decide where I can make some modifications and the first rules I come across are 9.1.3.D.1.a.1 thru 7 that discuss approved changes to the air intake system. D.1.a.3 and 4 state that I can't change the intake manifold and all air needs to go through the AFM. Then D.1.c states it must be operational (plugged in?), but D.1.a.7 says wires and connectors can be modified or replaced.

I just want to be sure I'm understanding properly that, even though I'm going to use a programmable ECU (MegaSquirt) which uses a MAP sensor, that I still need to maintain my stock AFM, but that I can use it's wiring plug for other functions (like IAT)?

I'd really like to get rid of the AFM altogether, but rules is rules... unless there's loopholes.

TStiles
09-27-2011, 04:35 PM
When I was faced with the same " opportunity " , I read the rules to say that you need to keep the AFM ... So , I gave up the opportunity for a few cheap ponies.

Gyvven
09-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I think I do need to keep the AFM, but what about the wiring for it? I thought I read in the 2010 GCR that it had to stay connected, but I can't seem to find that statement anymore. Does that mean I can use my AFM plug for some of my megasquirt sensors?

Also, I know it doesn't say anything about it, hence I'm guessing the answer is no, but can I install a wideband O2 sensor and controller? If my guess is correct then I think I'll just install it for map tuning and then switch back to the narrow band.

JohnW8
09-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Then D.1.c states it must be operational (plugged in?)

Operational as in not gutted out until it's just a plastic tube with no restrictions.

You can install and use the Wideband for tuning and reference only but it can't be attached to the ECU providing live feedback while racing.
I disconnect my WBO2 from the ecu and switch my Megasquirt back to narrowband for racetime.

I use the wiring from the AFM for the GM style Air temp sensor in the intake.

Gyvven
09-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the clarification John, I think that's how I'll set mine up as well.