PDA

View Full Version : Question on windows and head lights

jrpayne
09-26-2011, 08:57 PM
I am new to ITC having just purchased a Datsun B210. In reading the GCR I see no regulations about removing glass door windows or headlights. My previous experience with the GCR is if it doesn't say you can do it, you can't. However, it seems odd to me that glass side windows and head lights that can break and cause injury would be required. Am I missing something in my read of the GCR? If so, where is it found as it does not appear in the IT regs section. My previous racing experience was in GT and production so this is new territory for me.
Thanks for the help.

Knestis
09-26-2011, 09:18 PM
You aren't missing anything. Window glass and headlights have to stay, unless you have door bars that protrude into the doors - at which point the door glass (only) may be removed. If you've got your visor down, there's no way auto glass will hurt you.

K

JoshS
09-26-2011, 09:59 PM
And headlights should be taped.

RacerBill
09-26-2011, 11:54 PM
I have door bars on the driver's side, so the glass is removed. But the passenger's side glass is still there. I put clear contact tape on both sides of the glass before I reinstalled it to contain the pieces if I ever get hit on the right side door.

joeg
09-27-2011, 07:05 AM
If you can get plastic headlights for your car, get them to save weight (and less mess if broken).

Gary L
09-27-2011, 07:22 AM
If you can get plastic headlights for your car, get them to save weight (and less mess if broken).
And as a bonus (unless the car had plastic headlights from the factory), in the right crowd, you might also have an opportunity to learn something about how the SCCA protest procedure works. :D

mossaidis
09-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Slight thread hijack, but on a similar vein... I would like to install aftermarket HID/CCFL headlamp assemblies for the civic. I am pretty sure it is NOT in the GCR IT specs, but I can't help but buy and install some bling. Thoughts?

joeg
09-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Gary--Have you seen the replacement DOT standard sealed beam headlights in plastic for old cars?

They are made by Sylvania, wagner etc. come in the standard OEM rectangles or circles and are intended to replace the OEM.

Since no manufacturere makes cars with standard DOT sized headlights any more--last ones probably in the 80(s)--these are for older cars.

Matt93SE
09-27-2011, 10:30 AM
As long as they weigh the same and are the same shape (i.e. block the same amount of airflow going around the headlights, and don't provide an aero advantage), then I personally wouldn't protest anyone over that. It's technically not legal, but I see ho place it would provide an advantage during daylight hours.

Knestis
09-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Slight thread hijack, but on a similar vein... I would like to install aftermarket HID/CCFL headlamp assemblies for the civic. I am pretty sure it is NOT in the GCR IT specs, but I can't help but buy and install some bling. Thoughts?

We put them on the Golf but only for enduros where the supps allow auxiliary lighting. We take them OFF for sprint races because they are expensive to replace after stupid nudges.

K

Gary L
09-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Gary--Have you seen the replacement DOT standard sealed beam headlights in plastic for old cars?
Well yes, I have... and right beside them on the shelf were the conventional glass sealed beams. :)

I was simply pointing out the fact that under the right circumstances, you might be protested for this and IMO it would likely be upheld. The plastic lamps are clearly not "...exact equivalent of the original parts.", as required by the ITCS. Additionally, you're moving weight off the front of the vehicle with no allowance to do so in this manner. I just don't think it makes sense to take chances with stuff like this.

Would I protest someone for this? No. But I'm absolutely certain there are racers among us that would.

Andy Bettencourt
09-27-2011, 11:49 AM
As long as they weigh the same and are the same shape (i.e. block the same amount of airflow going around the headlights, and don't provide an aero advantage), then I personally wouldn't protest anyone over that. It's technically not legal, but I see ho place it would provide an advantage during daylight hours.

Or go to a dealer and ask for OEM parts. If they give you plastic when glass was original, you have a legal superceded part.