PDA

View Full Version : Air/Fuel Ratios

S2_ITBVW
09-14-2011, 01:34 PM
First, thanks to everyone for all the help. The car is finally running well. I certainly do not want to blow-up the stupid thing again in the near future. But, there is no better way to really learn about your race car than to go through a re-build like the one we just went through.

Now we are going to get back to tuning to meet the car's full potential. When I bought the car it came with a very basic air/fuel ratio gage. We just bought a new digital fuel/air gauge from Innovate Motorsports and are going to start fine tuning the ratio. So, what has been everyone's experience with this? We are going do some dyno testing. Does anyone have any baseline information to get us started?

Again, THANKS!!

shwah
09-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Target 12.5 ish for AFR works well in my experience.

chuck baader
09-14-2011, 04:05 PM
If you can use a megasquirt, it is really easy. You can even put into "Learn" mode" and let it run off your wide band. HOWEVER, it has been pointed out that this would be legal only on test days:shrug: Oh, yea, 12.5 to 12.9...makes the best torque and HP. Chuck

Knestis
09-14-2011, 06:29 PM
We use that same AFR. What are you doing to control mixture?

K

Ralf
09-15-2011, 12:04 AM
Some good reading here.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3267302-How-to-make-a-fuel-enrichment-module-for-CIS-E

shwah
09-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Good link Ralf.

CIS-E and Digi are both able to reach any desired AFR within IT rules.

S2_ITBVW
09-15-2011, 10:50 AM
We are tuning with the stock CIS-E. We have purchased every book we can find on the Bosch system. The AFM guage that we bought is supposed to nifty and fast. It has a digital readout, so we should be able to see both it and the tach on the in-car video. We are hoping that will give us good feedback around what the AFM is at different RPMs.

As I mentioned, we are also going to try our hand at using a dyno too.

Thanks for the link to Vortex.

I'll keep you posted.

S2_ITBVW
10-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Looks like this is the same thing that is described in the VWVortex forums:

http://www.autotech.com/category/power-module.html

Does this look like what we are after?

Thanks!