PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Doing the Glen Race Weekend In September

23racer
07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Okay guys, I need some hand holding. I am looking at running my ex WC Cougar in STU at the Glen Race in October. I hold a CASC National License and my car is still WC Legal. I think my license is fine for a one off, the car is legal, but I just need to have it approved by ......? I am really not looking for points or for doing many more races, I just want to come down and have fun with you guys at the end of the year and race at the Glen.

What should I do?

Eric

Greg Amy
07-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Eric, can't tell you about the licensing thing. I know that SCCA recognizes some other sanctioning bodies' licenses, but I recommend you contact the divisional licensing person for your area for clarification.

On the car, remember that just because it's World Challenge compliant, that does not make it automatically STU compliant. Each and every WC make/model must be specifically approved on a table in the regs. To get your car approved into STU you need to go to the below link and submit a request, along with your World Challenge VTS along with info that shows its old WC minimum weight. We can run through that pretty quickly, but you'll need to move on this ASAP as our next concall is this coming Monday.

http://www.crbscca.com/

Remind me: what makes it non-compliant to the STU regs? - Greg

23racer
07-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Greg, the main issue is engine compression. The car was allowed to go to 12.5:1. It has another concern with front tire sizes, but that isn't an issue as I am not going to run larger than 235x40x17's anyways. Weight was in at 2500 lbs as well.

I will scan the hard copy of the VTS I have and send it to the CRB for review.

Eric

Greg Amy
07-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Yes, get that to us ASAP.

Note that we add 5% to either the World Challenge weight or the STU weight for your engine displacement, whichever is higher. Are you running the 2L or the 2.5L? If you're running the 2L you'll have to weigh your WC weight + 5%, or 2625; if you're running the 2.5L you'll have to weigh the STU weight for a 2.5L + 5%, or 2888... - Greg

23racer
07-27-2011, 04:46 PM
The weight is the killer Greg. My car is the 2.5l, so I would have to run at 2888 lbs. Is that with driver? My VTS shows the 2.5L at 2500 lbs. If not, that means I need to add about 350 lbs of ballast to the car. Thats a non starter as I don't think its safe to bolt on over 300 lbs of ballast to any car. I just don't want to butcher the car for 1 race weekend. Its still legal for Castrol Touring Car Championship and its not worth it to beat up the car that bad especially to run it that heavy. WOW...

Are they running ITE that weekend as well? That may be the better route.

Eric

Greg Amy
07-27-2011, 08:11 PM
That weight is with driver. I don't know if they are running ITE, they haven't published the supps yet.

Are you *sure* that engine on that decade-old World Challenge car is 12:5:1 compression? Absolutely, 100%, no-doubt-and-I'm sure-there's-not-been-any-wear-or-something that would cause it to actually be 11.9999, especially since the probability of someone checking it is so close to zero as to actually be zero...?

Just askin'...

GA

JohnRW
07-27-2011, 09:49 PM
ITE, or SP (either U or O). As long as your safety equipment is current (two door bars on each side, etc.), you're good to go. No "process" to deal with.

CASC licenses are recognized. See the GCR for specific guidelines.

http://cms.scca.com/documents/2011%20Tech/2011%20GCR-printed%20version.pdf

23racer
07-28-2011, 08:20 AM
That weight is with driver. I don't know if they are running ITE, they haven't published the supps yet.

Are you *sure* that engine on that decade-old World Challenge car is 12:5:1 compression? Absolutely, 100%, no-doubt-and-I'm sure-there's-not-been-any-wear-or-something that would cause it to actually be 11.9999, especially since the probability of someone checking it is so close to zero as to actually be zero...?

Just askin'...

GA

Well Greg, that changes things a bit on the weight side, just need to add just under 180 lbs to the car and that still makes me uncomfortable. I am pretty sure that you may be correct on the compression side and I will have to check the motor again. I will put through the VTS Request later today and see what happens.

Its nice to see that I could still run ITE if I needed to. Lets see if it all works out.

Thanks for the help guys,

Eric

23racer
07-28-2011, 08:23 AM
ITE, or SP (either U or O). As long as your safety equipment is current (two door bars on each side, etc.), you're good to go. No "process" to deal with.

CASC licenses are recognized. See the GCR for specific guidelines.

http://cms.scca.com/documents/2011%20Tech/2011%20GCR-printed%20version.pdf

Thanks John. I appreciate having a fall back class to run in, where I can just show up and run. I will get smoked by the other cars, but really I just want to run and have some fun and not get in peoples way or be so much faster, I am just Lapping.

Eric

JLawton
07-28-2011, 09:28 AM
I would just run ITE and not worry about anything else.

But it sounds like you'll need a log book for the car? Or is SCCA OK with using WC? If not you may want to work on getting that done before the weekend.

23racer
07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
I would just run ITE and not worry about anything else.

But it sounds like you'll need a log book for the car? Or is SCCA OK with using WC? If not you may want to work on getting that done before the weekend.

Forgive my ignorance of how things work on the detail level in SCCA. In Canada and in other sanctioning bodies where I have raced (EMRA, ICSCC, NASA), they just use the Log Book that the car has with it and fills it in for the event. I have a CASC Log Book and as the old SCCA Pro book has long since dissappeared, I have no SCCA Book any longer.

Can I use the CASC Book or if I need an SCCA Book, how do I get one? In Canada, they will issue one to you at Tech on the race weekend.

Eric

Greg Amy
07-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Eric, you will need to go through an SCCA technical scrutineering inspection and be issued a SCCA logbook. This can be done on-site at the event, but you risk non-compliance issues if there's anything wrong. Is there any way for you to find someone in your are that can issue an SCCA logbook? At least review all technical safety requirements in the GCR to ensure you're compliant. Some examples include:

- Rollcage design and tubing size
- Seat requirements/mounting
- Harnesses
- Overall safety (wiring protection, firewall holes, protection from fuel cell area, protection of pressurized fluid lines, etc)

GA

23racer
07-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Great idea Greg. Our CASC Scrutineer is also a Detroit Region SCCA Scrutineer. I have sent her an e-mail asking if she is in the position to do this tech ahead of time. I believe that the car meets all present SCCA Club standards, but will double check. Only one question on seat mounting. The car doesn't have rear seat support as it would void the FIA certification. I can add one, but it does concern me that doing one thing to meet rules voids another rule requirement. I will ask the scrutineer.

I will send in my VTS, but if I am required to add that much weight I may just decide to run ITE to save a bunch of time and effort for 1 race weekend.

Eric

Greg Amy
07-28-2011, 04:08 PM
The car doesn't have rear seat support as it would void the FIA certification.
8855-1999 FIA-certified seats do not require a back brace (no date limit), but must be firmly mounted, NOT on sliders. - GA