PDA

View Full Version : Glen updates?

gran racing
07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
So...... Other than tGA's Integra fun, haven't heard anything.

How did things go Stephen with the new car?

ITB results?

Greg Amy
07-25-2011, 11:17 AM
tGA's "fun" was an aftermarket intake cam gear breaking (Billiel driving), lunching the whole top end of the engine. We got the head off an hour after we got home, minimum two bent valves and wiped out cams and rockers. Pistons have no physical divots, but if we have to rebuild the bottom end we're done for the year.

Blethan was fighting problems all weekend with putting the power down. They traced to a bad diff, changed out the diff Saturday to a stock part, but still had the problem Sunday. Watching the Pro-IT race from Turn One Sunday I respectfully suggest the problem is a slipping clutch, not a rear end or tires.

John VanDenburgh showed up with his new-build Audi Coupe, but couldn't get it to rev in the test day. They went home Thursday night (John, I still owe you for the UC, thanks for bringing it!)

Dan Jones walked the Pro IT field. No contest. Nice battle for 2-4 overall behind him. Ben Phillips had a hell of a battle in the Pro IT, looked like fun. He made a KILLER inside/outside pass on a lapped car, that one got my hair standing up!

Nat walked the field BIG TIME in Saturday's qually race, lap record times from what I heard.

Weather was damn hot on Thursday test day, but tolerable the rest of the week. Almost downright pleasant in the AM Sunday.

Seneca Lodge and Roosterfish Brewing have some good micros on tap...

GA

joeg
07-25-2011, 11:49 AM
HOT--Sunday morning actually rained a bit.

tdw6974
07-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Saturday am Practice. Dumped left Rear shock. no replacement so jacked up to High setting:shrug: . Ran good for Pro-it and Regional Race qualifier.:) Started pro-it having a good run until oil prssure spiked smoke rolled shut down costed to Garage. Oil allll over engine dipstick blown out parked and out:(. At this point I don't know plans for rest of season. Maybe drop a small block chevy in to run:rolleyes:. Did I mention Hot!!!!!! ironically the Engine temps were great even in heat. TW

Jeremy Billiel
07-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Yup the word of the weekend was HOT... Gosh dang was HOT on Thursday and Friday

Greg summed up our crappy weekend well. This Integra has not been kind to us and I am about ready to let it fall off the trailer towing it somewhere.

EDIT: It was awesome hanging out with the guys though and really owe Jerry R a big THANKS for letting me hit the Miata crack pipe even though I eventually decided to not race it as I had already done enough damage for the weekend.

JeffYoung
07-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Sorry to hear that guys.

preparedcivic
07-25-2011, 01:10 PM
As I suspected, my ITB CRX Si in its present state of motor has no-where near the ponies necessary for the Glen. I only did Pro IT, and was solidly 4th of 4 in B. Made a great start, pulling up past the class by the stand except everybody was back by after one heading up the hill. :(

So I just kind of motored around for 45 minutes. I've had some recent gremlins in this car that I've been chasing that are now all exorcised. If they didn't show up this weekend they're definitely gone. It's still a fast in the turns turd on the straights hooptie though.

Oh, and that Sunday morning rain? I take credit for it drying out as I did change to wet tires. Then back to dries. The Wood Brothers would have been proud.

Top three in Pro IT ITB, which Terry H. posted up in that thread as well: 1)Reece - A2 VW 2)Noakes - 2002 3) Hall - Protege. I didn't watch the Sunday Group 3 race for ITB, but from Saturday qualifiers the Volvos looked strong.....

Did someone say it was hot? I saw 108 in the truck driving up Friday afternoon. Got there way too late to score a spot with a nearby electric plug, so no A/C in the trailer this weekend, only fans that I knew my little EU2000 would run on Ecothrottle all night. More :(

I've had better weekends, but all in all it wasn't too terrible.

StephF
07-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Seems like the Glen whammy was in full force this weekend. More people went out there only to have problems. Either the Glen is fabulous.......or it's not.:(
Hopefully better in September for the Fun one.

lateapex911
07-25-2011, 05:56 PM
tGA's "fun" was an aftermarket intake cam gear breaking (Billiel driving), lunching the whole top end of the engine. We got the head off an hour after we got home, minimum two bent valves and wiped out cams and rockers. Pistons have no physical divots, but if we have to rebuild the bottom end we're done for the year.

GA

Yup the word of the weekend was HOT... Gosh dang was HOT on Thursday and Friday

Greg summed up our crappy weekend well. This Integra has not been kind to us and I am about ready to let it fall off the trailer towing it somewhere.

What are you guys revving that thing to??
Sucks that it broke....

Jeremy, now now, can you REALLY blame all the past 'issues' on the car!? ;)

Jeremy Billiel
07-25-2011, 07:15 PM
What are you guys revving that thing to??
Sucks that it broke....

Jeremy, now now, can you REALLY blame all the past 'issues' on the car!? ;)

I was revving it high, but its now very obvious that these cam gears were not ready for the abuse like the rest of the valve train was.

EDIT: While I would love to blame Greg for all the Integras woes, *some* were not his fault. LOL

lateapex911
07-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Hmmmmm, so *some* were not gregs...some were gregs, and some were.....the cars fault??

Just wanting to make sure the right car/person/persons is pushed off the back of the trailer. ;)

Again, it sucks guys, sorry....it's racing, and sometimes thats the breaks. if it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

StephenB
07-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Blethan was fighting problems all weekend with putting the power down. They traced to a bad diff, changed out the diff Saturday to a stock part, but still had the problem Sunday. Watching the Pro-IT race from Turn One Sunday I respectfully suggest the problem is a slipping clutch, not a rear end or tires.

As Greg mentioned I had problems hitting the gas and it wasn't just because I was scared :) It was weird... I could turn left and apply full throttle basically at turn in, but if I tried to turn right I could barely touch the gas at all and something would slip. The car was also very loose on right turns when I applied the throttle but felt great when I turned left. I got a ton of great suggestions as lots of people stopped buy to give us some ideas. We changed the entire suspension including taking the sway bar completely off. Nothing changed. We (I) was convinced it had to do with the rear end. The rear we put in the car during the build is the mazdaspeed 5.12 rear end and it was originally on a car that was hit extrememly hard in the right rear. So long story short I figured it was broken and had the guys drive out with my spare diff from home, then spent 3-4hrs changing the damn thing... shitty job that will go much faster next time! When changing it we noticed a bunch of axle grease from the inner joint. After some reflection we realized that the rear end we just replaced the mazdaspeed one with was from an automatic which we think is an open diff. We also realized that the axles we had were out of the car that diff came out of and maybe just maybe the automatic ones are different then the manuals... not sure on that yet but they do have different part numbers. In the end the diff from the automatic acted exactly like the original one, fine in left turns but horrible in right turns. Greg and Dick had the suggestion that maybe it was a clutch which it does feel like, but I am not 100% sure since it is honestly only right hand turns. At this point we have no idea but we are going to be ordering some axles for $400 bucks each (That my wife is thrilled about) and see if they are different.

The other issue we had was that I could smell gas and it seemed to use a ton of it! During warm-ups we used 4 gallons of gas. then in the race after 20minutes the car started to sputter. I thought the gas smell was from over filling it but I am not convinced. We are going to take the tank out, inspect it and all the lines then possibly put a stock tank back in it. This one was modified for a quick fill system compliant to continental challenge rules. We possibly could have damamged this in the build process and gas is just something I am not willing to fool around with. I chose to end my race early and take some pictures :)

Overall it was a fantastic weekend for me. I got to drive a car that I put together with my friends and it actually drove! I got to do 130mph and not worry about a speeding ticket in a nice controlled environment and for a few laps I had a great battle with Ann in her BMW M3. Plus being in the Watkins Glen area with family and friends is my dream vacation :)

RHallRacing
07-25-2011, 09:43 PM
The B race on Saturday was pretty good. I started 26th on the grid and 7th in class and was 18th and 5th by the exit of 1. Nat seemed to disappear and left Curran, Mullen and myself battling for p2. With the help of some miatas in front, i made my way to 3rd before botching the toe, leaving the door wide open for Mullen to take 3rd, wish i had known it was the last lap haha.

Our sister car driven my Lee Carpentier was fast but had some bugs to work out, and had some un-called for contact by "rookie" miata drivers that put him in the gravel trap during race 2.

Race 2 for me didnt go as well as my start was not nearly as good and Michael Reese and Greg Sultby got by me, i managed to pick back up a couple spots and stay in the fight for a little while, but when the window net came down, i got meatballed :(

Those Volvos sure like them straights!! haha

We're hoping to have both cars at New Hampshire, and looking forward to running back with ITS and ITR :happy204:

lawtonglenn
07-25-2011, 10:11 PM

Here are videos from the ITR/ITS/ITA/STL Sat qual race, and the Sunday race:
(when the HD versions finish processing, you will have the option to cycle the
HD on or off if the video is choppy)

http://vimeo.com/lawtonglenn/videos

In the Saturday video, between turn 1 and 2 on the green flag lap, you
can see Ben Phillips (Black Porsche), Darrell Stein (Red RX7), and Tyler
Monroe (White/Green BMW) all try to occupy the same space at the same time.

Please look carefully several times at the event before you decide for
yourself who caused it, who went into a space that wasn't there, who
should've or shouldn't have done this or that.

What I know for sure is who was really lucky that Ben narrowly missed the
rapidly oncoming blue wall ... ... ME! ... because even though Jay Dedrick
(Yellow RX7) and I slowed drastically because of the repeated bumping ahead,
I was in the absolutely wrong place if Ben bounced off and back on to the track

whew!

My car was running VERY hot (240F) after changing a few things after the
morning, but I decided to keep pushing it, and was able to get Dedrick before
the BIG RED light on the dash came on...My crew added that Water Pressure light
after I melted my second engine several years ago, so I decided to abort,
and as a result was placed last for the Sunday grid

The warning light was a false alarm BTW

In the Sunday race, starting at the back, I tried to make my way safely to the
front, and was able to get from 39th to 7th OA, just behind Darrell Stein, which
is where I'd have likely ended up had I qualified correctly :D

a great, fun, HOT weekend...sorry about Tom Weaver and Greg/Jeremy's difficulties

SPiFF
07-25-2011, 11:33 PM

:o wow .. sorry to hear.

Rabbit05
07-26-2011, 06:14 AM
Greg,
I'll catch up to you at some point this year for beer money...

All in all, I got some laps in with the new Coupe on Friday's test day and well, its super down on power. We went through and checked all the timing , marks , adjustments, ect... I am thinking its probably fuel system related. To my own fault I have reused a lot of older/used fuel system parts and I think that's the culprit. So we packed up Friday night and headed home early Saturday morning.
But it did move under it's own power, stopped/brakes worked , and I got my log book with only a couple easy fixes to do...:023: I wish I could of made the race...but all in due time, once I get the bugs worked out.

Jeremy Billiel
07-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Hmmmmm, so *some* were not gregs...some were gregs, and some were.....the cars fault??

Just wanting to make sure the right car/person/persons is pushed off the back of the trailer. ;)

When the engine blew up at Road America it had nothing to do with Greg. It was a stock oil pump with 85k on it. Wear and tear...

joeg
07-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Stephen--I would suspect rear suspension (something loose, mis-aligned, tweaked or whatever--probably on the left side) before a diff.

gran racing
07-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Tough weekend but it's nice to hear you guys being so positive about it.

CRallo
07-26-2011, 08:32 AM
When the engine blew up at Road America it had nothing to do with Greg. It was a stock oil pump with 85k on it. Wear and tear...

whose idea was it to run the stock/original oil pump? :shrug: :p :024::eclipsee_steering: *ducks*

Greg Amy
07-26-2011, 08:36 AM
whose idea was it to run the stock/original oil pump? :shrug: :p :024::eclipsee_steering: *ducks*
It was an 85,000 mile stock engine.

GA

Jeremy Billiel
07-26-2011, 08:54 AM

Chris - As much as I like to tease Greg about breaking stuff that is one that he was just along for the ride for.

tdw6974
07-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Results are Posted on My Laps. The Glen Region updated Timing and Scoring to the Newest Available. :D

CRallo
07-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Don't get me wrong, I do feel bad for yous guys! :( One of you said it right that the Integra is NOT being nice to you...

Our Nissan hasn't been the nicest either and just popped up with a dies when hot, restarts when its time to get towed in issue. This has resulted in two DNF's, but no lunching of the engine has been involved!

It was an 85,000 mile stock engine.

GA

Chris - As much as I like to tease Greg about breaking stuff that is one that he was just along for the ride for.

CRallo
07-26-2011, 09:25 AM
The weather wasn't any better at NJMP and the heat lasted a couple extra days... Another reason I'd have liked to have been at the Glen this past weekend!

But, I guess I got enough of a "Glen fix" at the Double National supporting my teammate and then running the two day SCDA event that followed...

Sounds like most of y'all had some fun! Congrats to all the winners!

kevin22
07-26-2011, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't worry about the fuel issue. I own one of them. I only get 12-13 mpg. they are terrable unless you really try to conserve fuel.

lateapex911
07-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Stephem care to guess what my lowly POS RX-7 gets for racing MPG? If it helps, I makes 125WHP or so, with 104 lb ft of big neck snapping torque.

mossaidis
07-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Cough... some of us get 7-9 mpg... 7-9! And my little 1.6 revs to 7600 rpm only. Cheers!

CRallo
07-27-2011, 09:40 AM
with a number like 12-14 from an RX8, I'm assuming that he means on the street... That would be amazing for track use!

mossaidis
07-27-2011, 10:26 AM
with a number like 12-14 from an RX8, I'm assuming that he means on the street... That would be amazing for track use!

Thanks Chris for, once again, pointing out that I am... "dense" and I should not be posting to this forum, especially with trollers like you and tGA, at anytime earlier than noon. :)

PS. in the name of trying to contribute, I will try to post the NARRC ITR/S/A/STL and SPO/ITE/etc and ProIT results.

lawtonglenn
07-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Here is a short clip of the Saturday Lap 1 Turn 1 tussle between
Ben Phillips (Black Porsche), Darrell Stein (Red RX7) and Tyler
Monroe (Green/White BMW)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjQslPNHWpQ

dj10
07-27-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't know Darrell well and I've raced really close with him when I was in ITS with no problems, but I sure in the hell like to know what happened there!

CRallo
07-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks Chris for, once again, pointing out that I am... "dense" and I should not be posting to this forum, especially with trollers like you and tGA, at anytime earlier than noon. :)

PS. in the name of trying to contribute, I will try to post the NARRC ITR/S/A/STL and SPO/ITE/etc and ProIT results.

NP dude! ;)

haha, we don't let you get away with NUT'N! :p:024: I tried to resist, I swear!

JLawton
07-28-2011, 09:40 AM

Here is a short clip of the Saturday Lap 1 Turn 1 tussle between
Ben Phillips (Black Porsche), Darrell Stein (Red RX7) and Tyler
Monroe (Green/White BMW)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjQslPNHWpQ

I'm surprised there hasn't been any arm chair quarterbacking on this video!!

Looks like Tyler tracked out, not realizing Darrel was there, pushing Darrel into Ben. Maybe Darrel got a little loose and that's why he leaned on Ben so much??

But whatever happened, it must be Ben's fault.............. :D

<edit> Looking at it again, over and over. it does look like Ben would have contacted Darrel regardless..........

dj10
07-28-2011, 11:56 AM
The reason I replied is that situation could have been a RED FLAG waiting to happen! It turned out the Big Guy upstairs was looking after those guys especially Ben... If I was the Steward I would have pulled those guys for a question and answer period.

Tkczecheredflag
07-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Here's a bit of video from The Glen - ITA #11 on Sunday. Should have this car sorted out by next race - she's been a handful. Enjoy!
http://www.vimeo.com/27009416

kevin22
07-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Yes on the street I get that MPG, I am sure that car gets half that on the track. it is a pig.

ulfelder
07-28-2011, 04:45 PM
I don't know Darrell well and I've raced really close with him when I was in ITS with no problems, but I sure in the hell like to know what happened there!

I too have raced hard with Darrell. My take is that after the initial contact with Ben, he was very squirrelly and fighting for control - sort of a mini-tank-slapper, with Ben unfortunately being right there to absorb it. I understand why Ben thought Darrell was banging on him, but I absolutely do not think he was doing so intentionally.

benspeed
07-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Hello - making my reply from South Africa in the middle of nowhere. We did originally think Darrel was shoving me into the wall but after looking at the video I think it was just turn one madness.

I was trying to make a pass on Hendo on the outside and heard major tire squall so I moved over the rumbles and gave Hendo the room he needed. When I tried to retake the track it was at the same time Tyler got into Darrel, pushing Darrel at me at the same time I was moving towards Darrel.

We did show the video to the stewards and we all figured it was just racing. At first look it seems Darrel is doing me in pretty good but he was in a tank slapper from prior contact. Despite the side of my car getting pounded it was really cosmetic and I couldn't even work up a temper over it :-)

Shame of it is the fenders on these 968 are unobtanium.

But who gives a crap about the bumping. No major damage and we all finished. The racing on Sunday was some of the best I've ever been in - just fantastic stuff and really top quality driving. I figure I dropped about 5 pounds that weekend from the heat.

Track record for my buddy Dan Jones at a 2:13.3? I managed a 2:13.8 - the big WOW was Thiele with a 2:12.6 in qualifying - yes, not a misprint!

I think I swapped positions with Driscoll and Hendo over a dozen times - tons of passing and just a total blast. WGI is the best - great job by all the workers and officials.

Looking forward to racing everybody at Pocono!

PS - Glen, thanks for the video because without it I'd have figured Darrel was pounding my car for position. Darrel, good to catch up with you at the end of the weekend. No hard feeling bro.

benspeed
07-30-2011, 07:04 AM
tGA's "fun" was an aftermarket intake cam gear breaking (Billiel driving),

Dan Jones walked the Pro IT field. No contest. Nice battle for 2-4 overall behind him. Ben Phillips had a hell of a battle in the Pro IT, looked like fun. He made a KILLER inside/outside pass on a lapped car, that one got my hair standing up!

GA

Thanks for the props! I think I lost some hair over the weekend :happy204:

dj10
07-30-2011, 07:38 PM
the big WOW was Thiele with a 2:12.6 in qualifying - yes, not a misprint!

I second this Ben! Nice time Rob no matter when it was done!

StephenB
07-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Some follow-up on the RX8...
I came in because the car started to sputter and wasn't running well at all. I could smell fuel and thought I had a bad leak or something... Not the case. The car had a 3/4 of a tank of fuel. We did drop out and replace the tank today and found the source of the smell. I did run it out of gas on Friday and it acted the same as it did in the race which is why I thought I may have had the gas issue. I did have bad plugs which I have now replaced. I also replaced the fuel pumps just in case those were an issue. I am really hoping it runs better, I am heading up to NHMS to do some testing this week. If anyone has any ideas on the sputter issues (after 20min at race speed) let me know.

The other issue with what feels like wheel spin is still a bit of a mystery and my largest concern at this point. I see tons of $$ being spent to figure out what the issue is and I am hoping to figure it out before all that $$ is gone! I am hopefully dropping of the "racing" rear-end on Monday to be looked at. At this point I have no idea what could be wrong with the car. We put it on the lift today and double checked all the suspension and everything appears to be fine. We also did cross weights and they all came out good. I did not drop out the transmission since I didn't have time ao I have not checked the clutch. If the diff comes back without any known issues then I will try to look at that then. I would love it If a few of you wouldn't mind watching a lap or so of the attached video and give me a few ideas on what may be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz4ooW4geQQ

Just added a Youtube video of a few laps of me during qualifying. I was chasing down Dad :) Please don't give me a hard time about driving! This was only my third time driving the car and only the third session the car was ever on track!

If you watch all the way to the end you will get to see Dan Hall having a little fun :)

Stephen

PS: I never did find any info on photos for the weekend but I did see a lot of photographers on track. And YES if anyone gets a photo of me shooting some flames I will probably buy it :)

robits325is
07-30-2011, 10:22 PM
It sounds like the clutch is slipping.

StephenB
07-30-2011, 10:29 PM
It sounds like the clutch is slipping.

Agreed. BUT why would it only do that in right hand turns? It doesn't do it in a straight line or in left hand turns at all.

Eagle7
07-31-2011, 08:29 AM
If that was wheel spin your Dad would have seen tire smoke.

Gary L
07-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Agreed. BUT why would it only do that in right hand turns? It doesn't do it in a straight line or in left hand turns at all.
After watching your video, my guess is that you replaced one open (or broken) rear end with another open rear end, ergo the same result. If that was a slipping clutch, it would happen in LH turns as much as RH. For that matter, it would have happened while going straight... and in any case you sure as Hell would have smelled it after that much slippage, gas fumes or no.

StephenB
07-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Didn't think of the smell Gary, good call! Definetly no clutch smells.

Stephen

rthiele
08-01-2011, 03:27 AM
Thanks Dan and Ben. I wished I could go fast more than one lap.. :-( congrats to Dan for a nice win, we had nothing.

dyoungre
08-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Is it a Torsen or a clutchpack? If Torsen, I would check the suspension droop on the right side - if it is lifting the right rear corner, then you could get wheel spin, and a Torsen would behave like an open diff. Do the right and left side have the same travel in droop?

Greg Amy
08-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Ooooo, SUPER thought^^^^! Nice.

lateapex911
08-03-2011, 02:11 PM
And thinking along those lines check rear dsmper rates in rebound. if one is excessive it could hang the corner up perhaps

Marcus Miller
08-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Stock on an RX-8 is a torsen...

StephenB
08-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys! I will check droop tomorrow. I wonder if the shock is damaged? Do you think a bad shock could do that?

Stephen.

PS: rear diff is from a second gen rx7 turbo. Special order through mazdaspeed with a three month wait. I do have someone at a diff/transmission looking at it. Someone smarter than me that knows what they are lookimg at! :)

JeffYoung
08-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Yes, but unlikely. It would literally have to be keeping the wheel from rebounding to the ground and overpowering the spring. Doubtful I think.

But Jake's post got me thinking. Are you running out of suspension travel on that side? Is anything binding? If so, and you are going "infinite wheel rate" you could get spin like that and even with the Torsen (is is a Torsen?) it could act like you had one wheel in the air.

Thanks guys! I will check droop tomorrow. I wonder if the shock is damaged? Do you think a bad shock could do that?

Stephen.

PS: rear diff is from a second gen rx7 turbo. Special order through mazdaspeed with a three month wait. I do have someone at a diff/transmission looking at it. Someone smarter than me that knows what they are lookimg at! :)

dj10
08-03-2011, 09:18 PM

Stephen.

Stephen,
IMO you would have noticed very unusual handling characteristics if the rebound was bound up someway especially on entry and mid off. Jack the car up and put another jack under the rear wheel then jack it up and quickley release it to see how the rebound is set. Do this to each wheel you want to check the rebound on. As you jack the wheel up you can also see or feel how the compression is, of course check for leaks.
Best of luck.

benspeed
08-09-2011, 01:39 PM
For some fun, here's the in-car of the qualifying race contact in turn 1. Looks a lot worse in Glen's video.

My car is all fixed with some hillbilly body work :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_TnA0ZBuuc

dj10
08-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Ben what were you thinking watching tha Armco getting closer and closer? :~)

seckerich
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
If you special ordered that diff I would be really disappointed. Very possible if it is the T2 clutch type it is not assembled correctly. If it is a torsen you will be hateing life for years to come in that chassis, they suck for the RX8. Stock Clutch type with a few mods is much better than what you have. When you get it back drop me a line and I will walk you through checking a few things out. Do not waste money throwing parts at the car.

Was the fuel problem the transfer pump?

StephenB
08-09-2011, 05:43 PM
If you special ordered that diff I would be really disappointed. Very possible if it is the T2 clutch type it is not assembled correctly. If it is a torsen you will be hateing life for years to come in that chassis, they suck for the RX8. Stock Clutch type with a few mods is much better than what you have. When you get it back drop me a line and I will walk you through checking a few things out. Do not waste money throwing parts at the car.

Was the fuel problem the transfer pump?

I am picking the Diff back up tomorrow. Nothing wrong with it, they said it was in perfect shape. I can't remember exactly what they called it but I think they said it was "gear driven" (I was on the phone with them while multitasking at work). I am now thinking it has to do with the "droop" that a few others mentioned. It is a huge difference between the two sides... almost three inches! Coilovers are NOT set to the same spot.

As far at the sputter... we replaced the pump that was on the right side of the tank because it was not working. (Steve, when you say transfer pump are you refering to this one, the one on the passenger side?) We did not change the primary pump on on the drivers side which is what we are going to do now. I didn't happen to have one or I would have done that at the test day. The fuel pressure was not consistant at all. (Installed a permanent gauge inline that is hooked up just before the fuel rail on fuel test port) The fuel pressure was actually dipping as low as 15-20 when it was sputtering AND the fuel pump was humming extremely loud with inconsistant tone. At the test day this past week we tried plugs, coils, alternater, battery, relays, fuses, and checked voltage/amps for various parts. Nothing worked and we packed up a bit early.

Stephen

Steve, I tried to send a PM but I am not sure it ever worked. feel free to e-mail me or PM me. sblethen "at" RSTPerformance.com

Greg Amy
08-09-2011, 09:32 PM
I can't remember exactly what they called it but I think they said it was "gear driven"...
NOT what you want in a race car, especially one with suspension problems... Any kind of gear/helical diff will go fully open unless both wheels are firmly on the ground. Obviously, yours are not (and won't be when, for example, you hit a good bump and/or run over a curb.) This will be an ongoing source of frustration for you.

If some kind of loaded clutch-type diff is available to you, I'd recommend selling that diff to a street car owner and buying one.

GA

JLawton
08-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Stephen,

Did you have a welded diff in the Audi? Have you ever driven a welded diff? I'm tellin' you, talk to Steve. (regardless if your current diff is fine) His diffs have all the good qualities of a welded but none of the bad......

StephenB
08-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Stephen,

Did you have a welded diff in the Audi? Have you ever driven a welded diff? I'm tellin' you, talk to Steve. (regardless if your current diff is fine) His diffs have all the good qualities of a welded but none of the bad......
Ran a quaffe which worked awesome. Never any wheel spin and I could turn in the parking lot! Oh and it has lasted 9years!

All I have heard is good things about his! I have sent him a PM :)

Stephen

mossaidis
08-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Here is a 2 part video of NARRC's sunday ITR/S/A race. Well, only ITA can be seen. Some background, we missed qual on Saturday morning as we slept in with intend (i.e. we pulled into the B&B at 2:30 am the night before... I HATE CT traffic). in the qual race, we started DFL and ended up 9th PIC. By Sunday afternoon, we were 6th PIC running a 2.20.9 which was a personal best for me, but yet 1.6 seconds off pace.

Now to the videos, some excitement at the start. During the first 2-3 laps, the rears were not working. You can see that while going into the carousel, I drift left and the field walks away. I get passed by a yellow/black stripe maita (Kevin Anderson in STL?), which I later pass on the uphill. Brian Blizzard and Jim Alley were battling it out which gave me a chance to pass them within a couple laps. The rest of part 1 is fairly boring until we see Bruce Perry coming up from the rear. He follows me very closely for two laps until I let him pass me and then I trail him. Within 2 laps, he gets squirmy in the bus stop, I pass him and for the rest of the race I chase the leaders, which from time to time come into my view.

The car was great with the new motor and 225/45's though I do need more front chamber, better turn in and a touch more oversteer. More importantly, the driver needs a lot more work :) I have been out of any significant seat time since NARRCoffs '09. I noticed some classic mistakes: a few early turn-ins, double clutch of the steering wheel, some uber late breaking and at times spending a little too much time looking at my rearview (i.e. Perry) instead of my markers. What I didn't like most of all was my inconsistency with regards to certain turns. Sometimes I nailed them, sometimes I didn't. More seat time... enjoy.

http://www.vimeo.com/27512225

http://www.vimeo.com/27518618

lateapex911
08-10-2011, 01:10 PM
I can't remember exactly what they called it but I think they said it was "gear driven"....... I am now thinking it has to do with the "droop" that a few others mentioned. It is a huge difference between the two sides... almost three inches! Coilovers are NOT set to the same spot.

Well, THERES your problem!

JLawton
08-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Ran a quaffe which worked awesome. Never any wheel spin

You THINK it was awesome because you have nothing to compare it to. LOL Just remember, you have a little bit more power than the Audi so getting the power down is even trickier.

I ran a Quaffe in my GTi and would spin the wheels all the way up the hill out of 3 at NHMS.

dj10
08-11-2011, 09:01 AM
I ran a Quaffe in another car I had, I took it out after I was done with the race and sold it. IMO they are useless as tits on a boar hog!

benspeed
08-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Here's a late video of the NARRC ITR race. Based on Glen Lawton's advice (I bought the same carmera and video software) the quality is now pretty good online.

Cheers!

Looking forward to Pocono this weekend!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi-6quM87EE

lawtonglenn
08-13-2011, 08:56 AM
VERY cool idea to mount a "video" rear view mirror! :happy204: