PDA

View Full Version : Great Weather and Great Weekend @ Road Atlanta

Mark Gray
07-24-2011, 06:02 PM
You guys missed some really great weather at Road Atlanta last weekend.

Saturday we quailified in the rain in the morning and ran on drys in the afternoon ... 79 degrees and overcast... nice! I was second on the pole next to Chuck Hines. On lap 4 my throttle pedal broke and jammed under the stop WOT!!! After killing the ignition I finally kicked it loose but only had 1/2 throttle the rest of the race.:dead_horse:

Zsolt Ferenczy and David Kim came from the rear of the pack ... Zsolt took 1st, Chuck held second, in front of David (third).

Sunday we had cool clear morning and moderate afternoon (85 degrees).
Trever Drioganni(Pole), David Kim (Second), Chuck Hines (Third), I gridded Fourth. Trever and David took off like they were shot out of a cannon... I chased Chuck for 14 laps. On lap 15, nose to tail, Chuck went in 10A too hot, ran off in the grass,got out of shape, and came backwards across the track ...almost came over on me in 10B. Trever 1st, David 2nd, I finished 3rd, Chuck 4th.

You can tell in the video I was just a little excited!!!:happy204:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEtaPyJVwKA

SPiFF
07-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Stuck WOT, I am sure that will get your attention. I was wonder why your pace was off by the time I got up to you. The rain on Friday and for Sat qual wasn't ideal, but the rest of the weekend's weather couldn't be beat.

Here is my Sat SARRC race video .. aka ``I puss out in the rain and start from the back``. This was the best the car setup felt for me all weekend. The direction we went on Sunday wasn't 100% to my liking.

The start didn't work out as I planned. I don't know if a bunch of people were planning to hang back and make a run or just that the back of the field was a mess. Then I didn't manage to get the best line so I really couldn't make a bonzia run down the hill before the green. Luckily the turbo P-Car punched a hole through the field and I just went through the door he opened. He got us past the jumble in the back and broke. At that point I start to just run laps hoping there was enough time to catch Chuck Hines. I saw Mark go off in T3 so I was gifted P2. Racing with Chuck was fun since as there was a good bit of traffic. Plenty of 3 wide. The first "attempt" in T10a wasn't really an attempt. I wasn't planning to try, just let him know I was there. :D

Some sloppy laps, but overall one of my better drives.

http://vimeo.com/26604481

Here is Trever's flag to flag drive for the Sunday SARRC race. Not much wheel to wheel action but his driving is worth a look. I am quite pleased to be only ~1sec off on absolute lap time but do have a ways to go on consistency.

http://vimeo.com/26712303

iambhooper
07-24-2011, 08:03 PM
You guys missed some really great weather at Road Atlanta last weekend.

Saturday we quailified in the rain in the morning and ran on drys in the afternoon ... 79 degrees and overcast... nice! I was second on the pole next to Chuck Hines. On lap 4 my throttle pedal broke and jammed under the stop WOT!!! After killing the ignition I finally kicked it loose but only had 1/2 throttle the rest of the race.:dead_horse:

Zsolt Ferenczy and David Kim came from the rear of the pack ... Zsolt took 1st, Chuck held second, in front of David (third).

Sunday we had cool clear morning and moderate afternoon (85 degrees).
Trever Drioganni(Pole), David Kim (Second), Chuck Hines (Third), I gridded Fourth. Trever and David took off like they were shot out of a cannon... I chased Chuck for 14 laps. On lap 15, nose to tail, Chuck went in 10A too hot, ran off in the grass,got out of shape, and came backwards across the track ...almost came over on me in 10B. Trever 1st, David 2nd, I finished 3rd, Chuck 4th.

You can tell in the video I was just a little excited!!!:happy204:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEtaPyJVwKA

Nice Video! quick thinking to kill the ignition on the broken throttle!

It's hard to believe, that after 7 year's, I still haven't made RA. I've alway's been turned off by the schedule date's. This will be one I regret.

Are you guy's coming to the Concrete Jungle next month?

hoop

Tristan Smith
07-25-2011, 10:32 AM
And a little more:

In-car of the 300zx. I was being gentle this weekend, since it was a new motor turning it's first laps. I too sat out the rain qualifying that morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTnQQCIVVwU

JeffYoung
07-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Dang Mark, that was close. Chuck will stand the car on the nose in the braking zone -- best late braker I've seen, but occasionally that will bite you.

Your car looks like it is running great though!

Are you coming to Charlotte?

Tristan, Z looks great too. And sounds....great....loud, but great.

Tristan Smith
07-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Tristan, Z looks great too. And sounds....great....loud, but great.

Loud, pfft. and this coming from a v8 guy, ha.

JeffYoung
07-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Dude, my car puts out "melody" not noise.

At 95 decibels. Not sure why it is so quiet (no muffler) but it ain't nothing like 103.9 or whatever your equivalent of the front row of a Who concert circa 1975 race car puts out!

Loud, pfft. and this coming from a v8 guy, ha.

Tristan Smith
07-25-2011, 04:41 PM
You have twin-cam V-6 envy.

Respect my Authoritah!!

Putting on a couple of single chamber Flowmasters on it. That should bring it down to a more civilized level.:rolleyes:

Dude, my car puts out "melody" not noise.

At 95 decibels. Not sure why it is so quiet (no muffler) but it ain't nothing like 103.9 or whatever your equivalent of the front row of a Who concert circa 1975 race car puts out!

seckerich
07-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Most I ever see out of my "loud" rotary is 88-89 db. Silent but violent!!

JeffYoung
07-25-2011, 06:34 PM
After talking to some folks about building a race motor for the Z32 chassis I have, I respect your WALLET.

Do you use earplugs? Made a huge difference for me inside the car. Outside, I guess you'll have to go with the Master of Flow.

Car looked good at Road Atlanta. Did you get any data?

You have twin-cam V-6 envy.

Respect my Authoritah!!

Putting on a couple of single chamber Flowmasters on it. That should bring it down to a more civilized level.:rolleyes:

Tristan Smith
07-26-2011, 09:08 AM
It wasn't too loud in the car. Nothing that was unbearable.

The motor ran well enough. Oil pressure was good as well as temps. So no complaints there.

Car handled fine, but I was cruising for the most part. There is plenty more in the car and the driver, but we'll have to see how much "more". It'll make a great "S" car.:D

I pulled the diff apart and I am checking some tolerances.

Steve, the oil in the diff was black and smelled slightly burnt, but there was still some fluid in there. The ring gear looks like it got some wear on the coast side, but the drive side looked ok. I can e-mail you a pic of the wear. I still need to check backlash, but will probably add some and may loosen up the "chunk" preload a bit. Hoping that takes care of it all.

Still checking the other oil leak, and will probably put in a new power steering pump. Then on to Barber!

seckerich
07-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Let me know if we can help you out. Car looks fun.

iambhooper
07-26-2011, 09:55 PM
And a little more:

In-car of the 300zx. I was being gentle this weekend, since it was a new motor turning it's first laps. I too sat out the rain qualifying that morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTnQQCIVVwU

Put me down for Twin Cam V-6 envy! N I C E!

Tristan Smith
07-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Put me down for Twin Cam V-6 envy! N I C E!

thanks Hoop!