PDA

View Full Version : Pro IT Series (NE) - Round 5 at Pocono

Terry Hanushek
07-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Registration is open for Round 5 at Pocono with the NESCCA Double National

Supps (http://triregionracing.org/images/stories/pdfs/11dnsupps.pdf) ... Register (http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/FCEF2926-B5F3-2390-D88459B44F25388A) ... Entry List (http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.status/uidEvent/FCEF2926-B5F3-2390-D88459B44F25388A)

Qualify and race on Saturday

See ya at the races

Terry

JLawton
07-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Hi Terry,

Do you know why there isn't an "Entry list"?

Thanks!

rthiele
07-22-2011, 07:37 AM
I registered and the registration is "pending review" for a while (fee got booked though). Maybe that's why nothing shows up yet?.

Terry Hanushek
07-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Jeff / Rob

I'm not exactly certain what is happening with the online registration. I was able to register as a worker and to see the entry list before I posted the links above. Since my post I have seen the Pending Review screen some (but not all) of the time. I clicked on the Entry List link when I started this post and got a good return. This list showed five entries for the Pro IT (including Rob) and 24 entries for the NESCCA National.

This is this first event at which the Tri Region Race Group (Pocono organizers) have used the MotorsportsReg online registration system. I suspect that we are seeing teething problems getting started with the system. I saw this morning that the format of the entry list has been significantly improved over the version I saw yesterday which tells me they are addressing their start-up problems. I will attempt to notify the registrar of the problems we have observed.

See ya at the races

Terry

Dave Zaslow
07-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Terry,

Is there no "pay at the track" option?

DZ

Terry Hanushek
07-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Dave

Is there no "pay at the track" option?

I'm not certain as I am unfamiliar with options in MotorsportsReg. You should be able to get information from Eunice Gerstein, the Tri Region Registrar. Her contact information is in the event supps.

Terry

Terry Hanushek
07-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Dave

I talked with Eunice this evening. She told me that it is Tri Region's policy and intent to accept payments at the track. She did not personally setup the event on MotorsportsReg so she is not certain how it looks (or how it is supposed to work). If there are any problems, give her a call or send her an email and she will help you out.

She also said that she is working with MotorsportsReg to resolve any issues with the entry list.

Terry

Dave Zaslow
07-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Terry,

Thanks for asking. When I went in it showed that checks and credit cards would be charged immediatly. I'll look again in a few days if I don't get Eunice first.

DZ

mossaidis
07-29-2011, 10:42 PM
I did not get a "pay at the track" option and just decided processed my registration online payed with my CC for the $50 early reg savings. Entry list looks REALLY light right now, only 13 ProIT entries (gulp). I hope they're more folks that show up at the day of the event.

Mickey

StephenB
07-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Terry, I can't go no matter what but I heard a lot of negative feedback about turn one. Maybe you can confirm if it will back to the "old way" where you can carry a ton of speed into the turn rather than the way it was this year with the heavy breaking and sharp turn. I bet a few are on the fence depending on track configuration. Again this was just feedback that I heard, I can't go either way :(

Stephen

kevin22
07-30-2011, 06:57 AM
The problem with Turn 1 was that every driver did not like it and thought it was more dangerous.
If you watch my video from that race I had to go 4 wheels through the mud every lap racing side by side. all complaints fell on deaf ears. This is a business, make the customer unhappy and see if they return.
watch at 6:35 in video but every lap was like that.
http://vimeo.com/23596077

rthiele
08-01-2011, 03:29 AM
Most feedback is that Pocono is incredibly boring. Stupid fast. I vote for two infields.

mossaidis
08-01-2011, 08:50 AM
^ so, wait... what are you suggesting about NASCAR tracks?

dj10
08-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Most feedback is that Pocono is incredibly boring. Stupid fast. I vote for two infields.

Althought I'm all up for a handling track like Mid Ohio I also like a high speed handling track like Nelson Ledges and Lime Rock (which I've never been to but have see and heard about) too. I sure we would hear a protest from Ben. :) That also means we would have to learn the new configuration in a 30 min qualifying. just something to ponder...

Greg Amy
08-01-2011, 09:45 AM
I've run the South Course at Pocono and it's kinda fun actually. Running both the North and South courses together wouldn't make the place particularly exciting, but it would add some flash to an otherwise-boring place.

Dan, quit being old, man! Try something new once in a while... ;)

dj10
08-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Dan, quit being old, man! Try something new once in a while... ;)

LOL GA!! Byte Me!!:D I've been doing this long enough if they want to run it backwards I'll be up for it. I'm usually pretty good about learning tracks, I just wanted to point out that everyone will have to learn the new track in only a 30 minute qualifying run. No matter what everyone will be in the same boat. :)

GA, will the car be ready and will you be @ Pocono?

Greg Amy
08-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I've been doing this long enough if they want to run it backwards I'll be up for it.
Then you should already know that we're already running it backwards! We originally used to run this track the other direction, and without the "back straight" chicane. Made for a lot of fun L1 heading into Devil's Elbow...!

...everyone will have to learn the new track in only a 30 minute qualifying run.
That's whatcha gotta do anyway at any new track, you old fart! ;)

will the car be ready and will you be @ Pocono?
Negatory, good buddy. I have the head enroute to Blake Meredith as we speak (hurry up, Mr FedEx!) but it'll take some time for diagnosis, parts ordering, prep, and shipping. My goal right now it to try and make NJMP later in the month; if I miss that then we're looking to get back to the Glen for the Fun One, then maybe VIR in October...?

GA

dj10
08-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Then you should already know that we're already running it backwards! We originally used to run this track the other direction, and without the "back straight" chicane. Made for a lot of fun L1 heading into Devil's Elbow...!

I never ran it that way Greg. When i used to run AMA with my TZ250 somewhere between 1978- 1980 @ Pocono we used the same course as they do today.

That's whatcha gotta do anyway at any new track, you old fart! ;)

I guess I am an old fart, I just don't feel old most of the time. :026: :D

Negatory, good buddy. I have the head enroute to Blake Meredith as we speak (hurry up, Mr FedEx!) but it'll take some time for diagnosis, parts ordering, prep, and shipping. My goal right now it to try and make NJMP later in the month; if I miss that then we're looking to get back to the Glen for the Fun One, then maybe VIR in October...?
GA

That's a shame I hope you get it back on the track soon. I'd love to see it running and I'd like to hear what the diagnosis was.

lateapex911
08-01-2011, 04:02 PM
That's a shame I hope you get it back on the track soon. I'd love to see it running and I'd like to hear what the diagnosis was.

Hmmm, I'd bet the diagnosis is that you have to remember it's not a rotary and it has an actual redline, beyond which, reciprocating weights go exponential, and things go boing!

Andy Bettencourt
08-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Boy does the butt-end of that wall loom large in that config...

Mow down the cones on the first lap...

ulfelder
08-01-2011, 05:55 PM

GA

The last year that config was used, Nick Leverone spun at 125 mph in the qualifying race, performing one of those NASCAR-style tire-boiling burnouts to stay off the wall. We gave him new rear tires and a fresh pair of shorts :D for the race.

robits325is
08-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Boy does the butt-end of that wall loom large in that config...

Mow down the cones on the first lap...

Cones - no problem. Pile of tires - problem.

StephenB
08-01-2011, 10:33 PM
I've run the South Course at Pocono and it's kinda fun actually. Running both the North and South courses together wouldn't make the place particularly exciting, but it would add some flash to an otherwise-boring place.

I know I am not normall... Ya I said it :) But I LOVED the north/South combination and found it to be one of the best tracks in the North East to race on. Other than the fact that reference points are non-existant and your in the middle of the field the actually layout and rolling hills are awesome. 4th gear going like hell into a blind rolling right hand turn... then hard on the brakes for a sharp left, then back onto the main straight with a hard right... I LOVED IT! I really enjoy tracks like Lime Rock with high speed blind, "suck it up" kinda turns, This North/South combination had that! However I guess it didn't meet SCCA safety standards... something about only having the chainlink fence between grid and the track, amongst other things, so I heard.

Terry, Bring back the North/South configuration!!!!

Stephen

Andy Bettencourt
08-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Terry, Let's autox!!!

Stephen

:)

StephenB
08-01-2011, 11:21 PM
:)

Andy, did you race on the north/south configuration? Without cones...
Entry speeds into both infields are as fast as west bend, if not faster. I still think Turn 1 at pocono is a blast (when they don't set up those blasted cones!)

Stephen

PS: I think NHMS is an autocross. I also think it is probably the WORST track in the North East and I live about 15 min away. :(

Andy Bettencourt
08-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Andy, did you race on the north/south configuration? Without cones...
Entry speeds into both infields are as fast as west bend, if not faster. I still think Turn 1 at pocono is a blast (when they don't set up those blasted cones!)

Stephen

PS: I think NHMS is an autocross. I also think it is probably the WORST track in the North East and I live about 15 min away. :(

OK, maybe not an autox. A go-kart track.

Dude, totally flat. The infield in the current config SUCKS. Double that??? At least the way it is now you can try and draft and get up to actual racing speeds!

NHMS is a super busy roval that does stink, but come on!

rsx858
08-02-2011, 11:33 AM

+1 Course cannot be any worse than it is now with turn one the way it is and that terrible chicane. lets mix it up.

rcc85
08-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Have they done anything about the concrete strips at the transitions from the NASCAR track to the infield? The ones that they put in to anchor the SAFER barriers to? The one exiting Devil's Elbow was especially rough, I started thinking of them as railroad crossings!!

Bob Clifton
#05 ITB Dodge Daytona

dj10
08-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Have they done anything about the concrete strips at the transitions from the NASCAR track to the infield? The ones that they put in to anchor the SAFER barriers to? The one exiting Devil's Elbow was especially rough, I started thinking of them as railroad crossings!!

Bob Clifton
#05 ITB Dodge Daytona

The last race there going through the elbow Ben Phillips said the rear of my car was off the ground!

robits325is
08-02-2011, 04:23 PM

Bob Clifton
#05 ITB Dodge Daytona

I had to replace both of my front shocks after the last event.

rsx858
08-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Last event I went 4 off just to the right of the chicane, hit that cement strip, and bent all 4 wheels!.. one of which cracked wide open... that concrete is seriously hazardous.

preparedcivic
08-02-2011, 10:46 PM
After the May event my carnage was:

- Axles/CV's
- Front struts
- Hubs/bearings (it was close to normal replacement time; the track moved things up a few weekends)
- No play yet, but I did actually have a rotor make slight contact with the radius arm ball joint. Think about that flex and deflection in the front end.

Does anyone know if those traffic calming bumps aka SAFER Barrier foundations have had any asphalt placed to make the ramps up and down any less severe?

mossaidis
08-02-2011, 10:53 PM
wtf.... you guys are starting to scary me. Even though it's my first time there, it sounds like I need to keep qualifying to minimum. And why do we race there again?

lateapex911
08-03-2011, 01:47 AM
In my decade of years racing, I avoid that place like the plague. The REGION people have always been nice. But it's downhill from there. The track is bumpy, and frankly pretty lame. I prefer the old COUNTERclockwise direction (Same as NASCAR) that has you flat thru the tunnel turn for the hard left into the infield, but they don't run that anymore. It was rather challenging in certain cars, at least.
Now the track consists of the meh infield turns, the awful transition onto NASCAR tunnel turn, the boring non turn tunnel turn that used to be a challenge, then the terrible, anti rhythmic chicane with the awful concrete section, and the huge car eating HOLE at the second (Well, fourth actually??)apex, then the boring run thru the banking, and then the infield reentry with more car eating holes right next to the track.

So, there is not one section of that track that's remotely fun, or interesting. AND, even if YOU do a good job, your chances of returning home with a car that needs just the normal service is 50/50. Three trips there have resulted in three busted windshields. And I'm lucky.

I'll never go back. We have so many better choices.
But hey, that's me!

It's a shame the management has such an apparently disinterested attitude. Could be a neat facility.

ulfelder
08-03-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm in the same club as Jake. Went there once, never going again. Bad drive, bad accommodations, bad track. (Good people, I hasten to add.)

dj10
08-03-2011, 07:11 AM
The host regions and their member have to make some serious decisions after this year on the future of racing Pocono unless some serious improvements are made. There are other tracks available including I hate to say it after the cancellation of the ProIT race last year, Summit Point. We've heard from the drivers but I'd like to hear from someone from the host regions on their thoughts.

Robert Zecca
08-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Guys.....this has been a very tough year for me making any events with the opening of our store at NJMP. It just takes up a ton of time having to be there. I am hoping over the winter I can work on helping out ProIT again finding some product sponsors like we had a few years ago. You guys are a great group and I am looking forward to getting involved again in a small way.
Fyi......I purchased brand new Corghi tire mounter and balancer which is located at our Dover NJ location. If you are nearby and need this service please give me a call.....even if it is for your personal vehicle.....1-800-275-4667....thanks and hopefully I will see you soon.
Sincerely,
Bob Zecca

pfcs
08-03-2011, 09:09 PM
If anyone would ever think it thru-the north course is the best track at Pocono. Lap times are similar to Limerock, and it minimizes time on the banking while maximizing road course experience.
And it is ever so satisfying to take the kink off the banking flat out without lifting til the first real turn-that'll seperate the men from the boys. Ask Butch OC what he thinks.
The clockwise long course, especially with chicanne, just is stupid.
However, the CCwise long course is a great asphalt dyno and a good first run of the season, especially if you want to do some tuning and sorting. Not much for "road-racing" though.

dj10
08-04-2011, 10:54 AM
The long and short of this is that this is a National Race, what ever configuration they run we run. Sometimes we have to suck it up and do what the series wants. Then after the season is when you can change things if you want. It would be a good idea during the drivers meeting to address all the potential hzards around the track so we minimize damages to all. I'm sure everyone's intentions are to keep their cars intact so they can look forward to the last ProIT @ the Glen.

TreadZone
08-05-2011, 03:45 AM
I'll be there for tire support on Thursday afternoon to noon Sunday.
Give me a call to place orders.
866-208-6551
TreadZone ProIT

tdw6974
08-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Thursday one of the Haulers remove the Starters Stand. Bow if we could get them to work on the track surface. Looks like they sure are using the suspension Travel!!!:D

benspeed
08-08-2011, 09:02 AM
I'll be there for tire support on Thursday afternoon to noon Sunday.
Give me a call to place orders.
866-208-6551
TreadZone ProIT

Thanks for the support! Pro IT appreciates your sponsorship. :023:

dtanthon
08-11-2011, 05:30 PM
28 cars, a good mix.

ITA 4
ITB 4
ITR 5
ITS 7
SM 8

dj10
08-11-2011, 06:59 PM
28 cars, a good mix.

ITA 4
ITB 4
ITR 5
ITS 7
SM 8

Certaintly won't be to crowded. :) Ahhh no registration Friday evening??!!

Robert Zecca
08-12-2011, 01:35 PM
BEST OF LUCK TO OUR PRO IT DRIVERS AT POCONO!!!!

Sincerely,
Bob Zecca
www.teamdi.com

RSTPerformance
08-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Leaving for the track in a couple hours... see you in the AM at registration!

benspeed
08-14-2011, 12:26 PM
My car broke - bad halfshaft. Here's some video from the race! It started out dry and got pretty wet in the last 5-10 minutes. Great drive by Rob Thiele to win it - and I think that clinches the championship for him. Dan made a great drive after a second lap slide in T1 he fell to fifth, then sixth and fought back for a strong second place finish. Tyler Munroe was third, Rob Nimkoff fourth. In ITS it was Autotechnic first and second - couldn't tell if it was Rob or Jeff. John Hainsworth third, not sure after that. Haven't seen a sheet. Don't know about ITA. It was great to see Eric King out with his ITS RX7!

This was a tough weekend - hard not to go out and race after a decent third qualifying effort. Also ran afoul of the tech shed - my car was too low and I was penalized my best qualifying time. Wil need to raise the car or hopefully get my race wheels back from repair and see if the car was setup correctly to those wheels.

Nice job - Pro IT was the best race of the day. Thanks to our sponsor, Treadzone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpOhEC9eazc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0vp4Brd7Sc

dj10
08-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Ben we really missed you out there even though I might have been 3rd instead of 2nd but you called it right and the reason I spun in turn 1 was that I did lose 4th gear. Just my luck, it didn't the tranny didn't take a crap at the middle or end of the race it had to be 2nd lap! I worked my A#@ off in that race just using 3rd & 5th gears! Man is Pocono bumpy and is my last race there unless it's completely repaired!

Again congrats to Rob Thiele for the win and Tyler Munroe for 3rd, Rob Nimkoff & the Autotech guys for the good clean racing. Thanks to Treadzone & Team DI!

Dennis Valet
08-14-2011, 05:30 PM
I had a fantastic and exciting race. I had low expectations because of the track, but the competitors made the race extremely fun. I just wanted to thank all the SM guys for racing clean, the ITR and ITS guys for making their passes clean when they lapped us, and flatout for providing another fabulous rental!

I'll chop together a highlight video and post it soon

rthiele
08-14-2011, 08:36 PM
So sorry for the axle issue, Ben, it would have been way more fun with you! Thanks a lot for the videos!!
Also Dan, sorry for the mishap / great result under those circumstances! Good job by everyone fighting clean and no issues lapping. Special thanks to the black Miata for letting me pass in T3 (not sure who the driver was?). Great move, appreciate it!

mossaidis
08-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Good times! Pocono was... challenging. Someone please remind to soften up the shocks even more next time I am there. I loved mixing it up with Marc and Stephen. I hate the elbow, love the chicane.

http://www.vimeo.com/27693386

Terry Hanushek
08-15-2011, 08:21 AM
TreadZone Pro IT Round 5 Results
Pocono International Raceway

ITR

Robert Thiele - 25 laps (overall winner)
Dan Jones - 25 laps
Tyler Munroe - 25 laps

ITS

Rob Driscoll - 25 laps
Jeff Henderson - 25 laps
John Hainsworth - 24 laps

ITA

Demetrius Mossaidis - 24 laps
Matt Rowe - 23 laps
Dave Beccaris - 23 laps

ITB

Michael Tinis - 24 laps
Dave Zaslow - 23 laps
Steve Noake - 23 laps

ITC

none

SM

Marc Cefalo - 24 laps
Andrew Warren - 24 laps
Dennis Valet - 24 laps

The race started under threatening skies but the rain held off until the last 2-3 minutes.

Terry

lateapex911
08-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Man is Pocono bumpy and is my last race there because I know it won't be improved, as it's been a moonscape forever!

Sorry, the cynic (realist) in me couldn't leave that line alone.

Again, great SCCA Region folks, but track management has other ideas.

I wonder if Bens halfshaft issues were related?

dj10
08-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Sorry, the cynic (realist) in me couldn't leave that line alone.

Again, great SCCA Region folks, but track management has other ideas.

I wonder if Bens halfshaft issues were related?

Jake, Matt Rooke broke a front strut there as well and wasn't able to complete the race and while following Jeff Henderson through the tunnel turn his car hit the transition bump and the whole ass end of the car became airborne! His rear bumper cover was as high as my windshield! I believe there is a correlation between the poor track conditions and Ben's halfshaft at least in part.

benspeed
08-16-2011, 10:30 AM
I was looking over my car last night and thinking it's a good thing that I had the old stock rims on it. Wonder if Pocono caused my four lightwieght rims to crack. I noticed the cracks at the next event at NJMP.

Halfshaft very well could have been from the rough track but I did have a mild slide into the grass on the second lap that could have caused it. Didn't hit anything or run over big bumps.

As much as I like the high speed at Pocono - its just BS the way the track leaves the sports car configuration in such crappy condition. The track attitude still sucks. Case in point - my car was on jack stands on the pavement, granted maybe 5 feet from the dirt. The track was going to drag the car off the jack stands and deposit it in the grass 20 yards away. Not kidding, they had a wrecker there. Butch and Darrel saved my car by talking them out of it. I was trying to find parts (or being a total track whore, rent any ITR car I could find!). The reason - parked in a fire zone. No one F***king sign anywhere....

I've never said it before but maybe time to skip that place...

robits325is
08-16-2011, 11:21 AM
I've never seen so many cars with flat tires - including myself.

Does anyone have a copy of the final results?

Keith O
08-16-2011, 05:35 PM
I also took some heat for blocking the (unmarked) firelane as well on Saturday...

I can deal with the bumpy asphalt, but the SAFER barrier bumps are totally unacceptable. I definitly will not be going back if those are in the middle of the racing line. I am fairly certain I blew out my front shocks this weekend during qualifying going over those things, and from the sound of it I got lucky if thats all the damage the car took from the track (I am ignoring my other 'incident' in this conversation's damage assessment).

-Keith
#60SM

reeceracing
08-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Pocono is for Nascar. IMO. Save your cars for real tracks, NJMP. LRP. The Glen, VIR, RA. Summit Point.

dj10
08-18-2011, 08:29 AM
What ever happened to the final results they are MIA?

dtanthon
08-18-2011, 08:32 AM
They usually get posted by Thursday afternoon on NESCCA.com.

dj10
08-18-2011, 08:47 AM
They usually get posted by Thursday afternoon on NESCCA.com.

Thanks, I've been looking on mylays..

Terry Hanushek
08-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Dan

Thanks, I've been looking on mylays..

I believe that the full results will be posted on the NESCCA web site this evening or tomorrow. I inquired about the MyLaps data and it may be up there by now. Sorry for the delays.

See ya at the races

Terry

mossaidis
08-18-2011, 11:28 PM
The final results are posted on www.nescca.com page 7 under Pocono National. I don't see qual times though.

Dennis Valet
08-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Here is my view of the race!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl9TskI9Ov4

RSTPerformance
08-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Good times! Pocono was... challenging. Someone please remind to soften up the shocks even more next time I am there. I loved mixing it up with Marc and Stephen. I hate the elbow, love the chicane.

http://www.vimeo.com/27693386

"Micky"

That was our dad Ray Blethen III in the Porche... Not Stephen! We are not alloewd to drive the porche ;)

Raymond

LMcB
08-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Just curious....could you see the flag station driver's right at the exit of the chicane? What would you think about having it directly cross track driver's left above the "Cup Series" sign on the wall?

Dennis Valet
08-21-2011, 11:27 AM
I could see it just fine, but I imagine outside would be good as well...I know I did notice Roz out there!

theracinglawyer
08-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Another view from a Spec miata in the Pro IT Race. http://vimeo.com/28059593..

it was fun

dj10
08-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Some more Pocono damage...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.180630458617811.49378.100000125730580#!/photo.php?fbid=268733749807481&set=a.180630458617811.49378.100000125730580&type=1&theater

Can I repair it now? :~)