PDA

View Full Version : EBC pads?

Flyinglizard
07-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Anyone using the EBC pads?? How are they? I have been on Hawk blue for 10 yrs and may try the EBC. TIA, MM

Aanselm
07-10-2011, 09:47 PM
I have used them on street/autox car but never used them for racing. I did use the EBC reds for the car that i autox, which was a 99 merc cougar. For racing I now use Carbotech pads, all the cars that are part of our race team use carbotech.

mossaidis
07-10-2011, 10:58 PM
I ran EBC reds on my civic during a HPDE/TT years ago.... run away, not recommended for any type of aggressive road racing unless you like buying new pads every 2 weekends. Try Hawk DTC-60 or Carbotechs.

Flyinglizard
07-11-2011, 08:55 AM
The EBC yellows are the only race rated pads they make.
Reds are low dust street pads. or something. MM

mossaidis
07-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Good point - I could not remember the differences between each line. Still though, my Hawk HP+ outlasted those reds hands down and with better braking capacity. Yes, i am judging the "whole" line of products based on my experiences with just one line. So take it as "generally speaking". Also, it looks like EBC makes yellowstuff for Hummers, SUVs, etc - I guess I won't read into that any further considering I put semi-race compounds (Hawk HP+) on my truck as well.

RedMisted
07-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I was once told by a sales person at Summit Racing (they sell EBC) not to buy these pads, indicating that they were crap. I use Hawk Blues, may switch to Carbotechs...

JeffYoung
08-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Hawk, Carbotech, Raybestos ST series, Performance Friction all good.

JLawton
08-24-2011, 07:24 AM
In the latest GRM they did a race pad test. Good stuff.

Flyinglizard
08-24-2011, 09:48 AM
I could not find anything out about these EBC pads, nor anyone using them. ,so I bought Hawk and some really old Bendix metals.
MM

Brettt
08-25-2011, 08:02 PM
We have very limited options to run on the B13 Nissan Sentra, including no Hawk pads unless you have them specially made, so I've always used Carbotechs. I remember asking what kind of wear other people got out of theirs, and I think the consensus was that the 4 race weekends we are getting wasn't that bad. Also, we're on a pretty tight budget, so custom made pads aren't really an option.

That being said, the XP-10 compound that we are running cost around $160/a set for the fronts, plus shipping to here in Nebraska, which makes them usually around $180. EBC now makes the Yellowstuff pad(which I've read nothing but good things about) for the B13 and Summit has them for only $109 w/free shipping. The pad number is DP4839R for any other Sentra owners out there who want to give it a try. Or: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EBC-DP4839R/

We'll be trying the EBC pads very soon.

Flyinglizard
08-26-2011, 08:12 AM
For non endurance racing, under 3 hrs . Try the Carquest "Blue" series pads. They work about the same as any race pads, but dont last quiet as long.
MM

1stgen
08-26-2011, 11:08 AM
EBC pads are shit....period. If your as cheap as the pads they make....u deserve the performance they give. Cheap is never better, especially with "race" pads...which EBC doesnt make. PFC'S are great, Carbotech's are great, Hawk DTC-60's and 70's or blues if you cant get the dtc for your car. Some of the mintex pads for the german cars are ok.

BWAutosport
08-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I use the yellowstuff on my 2002; actually the rears for an 80's Ferrai 308, and the greenstuff on my classic Mini's front discs (the pad for this particular caliper is a sports2000 AP/Girling type) so the options are either EBC, Hawk, or Ferrodo on the Mini as there's no FMSI cross on this caliper.

I've had nothing but a good firm pedal with little fade/dust on the 2002. The greenstuff on the Mini are actually quite nice as well, but there's not a whole lot of braking in that car. Going to probably order a set of the yellows from the UK, as they don't seem to be stocked stateside.

I've not had much experience with other pads in either car, so I can't really be objective about it. But, for the price, they do the job.

I'd like to try the Hawks at some point; probably next season for the PVGP.

JS154
08-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Anyone using the EBC pads?? How are they? I have been on Hawk blue for 10 yrs and may try the EBC. TIA, MM
Terrible, having used them myself.

EBC green or okay for a light street use. Hortrible pad deposits under hard braking.
EBC reds are better , more dust, but totally not capable on track.

For a light car having run HawK 9012 Blues try the PF 01 pads, release charcterisitcs are much better and dust is the polat opposite of Hawk Blues.

Sandro
08-29-2011, 12:02 PM
EBC's are a "high performance street pad", and I say that lightly. I would never even let them touch my race car.

Brettt
12-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Disregarding the general "if it isn't expensive it isn't good" logic I see some people have chosen to follow, I went ahead and ordered the EBC Yellowstuff pads. While Summit said that they were supposed to be a direct fit for my caliper, they were actually about 1/2" too long, so we traced a correct backing plate on them and cut them to fit. I'm assuming they were maybe for the AD22 caliper that came on the NX2000 or the 200sx SE-R?

Anyway, I must say that they worked really well. Right on par with the Carbotech XP-10 compound I was using before. The pedal isn't quite as firm when you first step on them, but after about 5 feet it seems to firm up and feel really nice. The modulation is also quite controllable and after about 15 laps of hard, race-speed braking at my home track they were still working great!

If that doesn't tell me that they work, I don't know what does. In short, we'll be in contact with EBC about the backing plate size issue, but even if they say "too bad" we'll be buying these pads again in the future. Shipping did take about 2 weeks even though Summit said they should ship the next day, but that's more of an issue that we'll have to take up with Summit.

I mean, for literally half the price of the Carbotechs and comparable performance, this is exactly the pad I've been looking for. As of this first run, the longevity seems to be up to par as well. I'll post back here once they are used up to let you know just how long they lived.