PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in an IT7/ITA RX7?

128 racecar
07-09-2011, 10:41 PM
My vintage racing club has finally updated it's final year of eligibilty from 1972 to 1989. I am pondering selling my B-Sedan Datsun 610 and going to to an RX7. Why? For one, I had a couple of RX2s back in the 70s, and always wanted a RX7 when they came out. Second, cars are grouped by displacement, so I would paired with 1147 Spitfires and 948 Sprites with the 1.1 liter rotary- sounds fair to me (the RX2s and RX3s are dominating the class). So when looking at the myriad of IT7/ITA RX7s out there, any tips as what to look for in terms of car prep, hot parts, things that go bang at the track? This is my 15th year racing, and the Datsun is the third car I had to extensively rebuild (previous were a 1972 Fiat 128 and a 1976 Honda Civic), so I know what to look for in a race car in general. I am looking for RX7 items to look out for in particular. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Marc in Indy

lateapex911
07-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Lots of crappy RX-7s out there, ...like any race car, look for a straight car, and good peripherals. The old gas tanks rust, so a cel is good. Biggest issue is the motors are becoming more than scarce, so the car MUST have a top notch healthy motor, or you need to be able to legally plate the internals, because it's impossible to recreate the factory plating.
PM or call me if you'd like to discuss it further.

203 521 1530