PDA

View Full Version : brake bias

manny
07-02-2011, 10:44 PM
well i was looking at putting a brake bias in my ITB mustang and i see that at the master cylinder there are 2 lines for the front brakes. How do you hook that up? Anyone have pics of their setup? Thanks in advance :023:

titanium
07-03-2011, 08:05 PM
In the front lines?
In my Mustang, the bias is in the rear line mounted in the old parking brake mount.

manny
07-03-2011, 09:29 PM
i understand in the front lines but at my master cyl i have 2 lines coming out for the front wheels. my car is a 1987 mustang for the ITB class. i have been running this car for about 5 yrs now, and yes i know, now is when i want to add the brake bias :rolleyes:

Matt93SE
07-03-2011, 09:38 PM
It's generally accepted to add the bias adjuster to the rear lines. the easiest way to do that is as mentioned above- run the rear line up into the cabin where the adjuster is mounted, then back to the rear wheels. Since you have one line going to the back, that makes it easir.

manny
07-04-2011, 07:39 AM
i thought the idea of brake bias was to add more braking power to the rear wheels, or am i missing something. :shrug:

titanium
07-04-2011, 08:08 AM
According to Wilwood (http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderValves.aspx),
"Proportioning valves are normally installed in the rear fluid
line to prevent the rear wheels from locking before the front wheels,"

and also:
"The new generation of adjustable proportioning valves combines the latest refinements to deliver precise pressure metering and strength from a compact forged billet design. Pressure adjustments range from 100-1000 PSI and provide for a maximum decrease of 57% in line pressure, the most of any available valve. Adjuster knob with fine thread tuning provides precise pressure adjustment. This adjustment lets you fine tune the front to rear braking balance by proportionally decreasing the rear brake line pressure""
(emphasis mine)

So, all you can do with a proportioning valve is decrease the rear pressure.

The Wilwood site has much more information available.

Eagle7
07-04-2011, 09:22 AM
i thought the idea of brake bias was to add more braking power to the rear wheels, or am i missing something. :shrug:
Your car almost certainly came from the factory with a proporitioning valve. If you put the bias valve in series with the stock valve, you can only decrease the rear braking force from the stock arrangement. However, if you remove the stock valve and replace it with the adjustable bias valve, you and also increase rear braking from stock levels.

manny
07-04-2011, 07:35 PM
oooohhhhhh. now i understand. How stupid of myself. I thought i was trying to decrease pressure to the front and add it to the rear.Thank you so very much gentlemen for clearing that up for me.

Eagle7
07-05-2011, 11:02 AM
oooohhhhhh. now i understand. How stupid of myself.
We're all stupid before we know stuff. Next time you'll be answering the question.