PDA

View Full Version : itb mustang bogs

BILL
06-27-2011, 10:23 PM
My 1982 ITB mustang bogs in left turns, have played with float still bogs. any suggestions?

callard
06-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Run ovals :D

spawpoet
06-28-2011, 08:55 AM
My 1982 ITB mustang bogs in left turns, have played with float still bogs. any suggestions?

Do you still have good fuel pressure when it's cutting out? We had that problem in our Z, and it was the fuel pickup in the cell. Even with the cell half full we would lose fuel pressure in some turns. Fixed with a surge tank.

Eagle7
06-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Run ovals :D
Then he'd bog the whole circuit. :rolleyes:

billf
06-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Bill,

I assume you are using either the 5200, or the DGV in the original orientation...bowl facing front of car..., so what I write is for both/either.

First, make sure you have a correct float setting on the carb.

Second, make sure the Float Bowl needle and seat are clear, so that they allow full flow when the float drops. Sometimes, junk will partially plug the openings.

Third, use a pressure guage to indicate whether you have full pressure both under power, and throughout the corner. If the pick-up goes dry while cornering, the float bowl will not refill properly, and allow the bowl level of fuel to lower. That will give you starvation in the corner (fuel level low enough to expose the main jet to air).

Placement of the pickup in the cell/tank (left or right) will determine what direction turn the starvation will occur in. You didn't mention whether the problem was with full tank, or only with lower levels of fuel. My comments are for lower levels of fuel in the cell.

These are the most common problem areas that I can think of.

Good luck.

Bill

BILL
07-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Carb is 5200, stock tank, 3/4 full, float is high as can go with out flooding

jimbbski
07-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Are the floats the plastic ones or brass. If OEM most likely the plastic foam. Have you tried a new float?

If you are running the floats at their highest level then the bog may be due to a drop in fuel pressure as mentioned. Get a good low pressure fuel guage and check it when you get a bog.
Getting some fuel cell foam and putting in you tank, even a stock one may help to dampen the fuel surge as you go through corners.

BILL
07-02-2011, 10:43 PM
brass floats