PDA

View Full Version : half shaft leaks

joetroberts
06-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I have a 1988 Nissan 300ZX with a welded rear. my drivers left half shaft slings grease from the fitting close to the diff. is this something I can race with or do I continue to replace them?

lateapex911
06-26-2011, 12:17 PM
Might want to ask the Nissan guys in the Nissan section.
General observations: The FWD guys are very particular about the quality of their axles and the grease within. The heat and stress of racing tears up generic replacement axles quickly in some cases.

If Raxles makes one for your fitment, that's a start.
Sorry I'm not more helpful..

Flyinglizard
06-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi Jake, :>
Does the "raxle" fit the OE spec? for shaft size, or are over size sleaves OK??
How is a Datsun replacement part that improves durability any more legal than a VW axle that improves durability? Same weight and out side visual specs. Slippery slope...
So , it is OK for some replacement parts to not fit the OE specs but not others.
How about the Volvo cams that were built to the" Blueprint of the max lift" and had no opening /ramp specs? How about the lack of valve spring specs?
IMHO , there is a big difference about using a lack of specs to go faster, and a lack of specs top go further between explosions.
Always good to hear what you have to say.
Are you on the IT board?? Who is?
TIA, MM

lateapex911
06-26-2011, 10:02 PM
MM: My comments were based on other racers I know saying that the Raxle products were better than the generic off the shelf NAPA (etc) units in terms of better quality control, and they indicated they were stock spec units, but with less deviation from proper components and dimensions. I didn't cross examine them on it, but my understanding is, for example, they use Honda components, and check each part for compliance and proper sizing, as opposed to say other aftermarket parts that in the case of an axle, might use inferior metals or clamps or whatever.
Again, I'm not a FWD guy, and I don't know the full story, and, as I stated in my post I was just trying to help the guy with a general comment.

Other FWD or IRS guys can chime in here. Heck, I'm probably not even spelling the name of the company right....

Knestis
06-26-2011, 11:04 PM
My understanding from Cameron is that the Raxle people basically do good quality OE rebuilds, with very good quality grease.

K