PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Glen July sprints reg confusion

Rabbit05
06-24-2011, 08:33 AM
I know I am missing something here..I was looking at the registration for the July Sprints at WGI on Motorsports Reg...for some reason there is no IT class in the drop window ..:shrug:

There is just the Pro IT race reg for IT classes...??

What am I missing ??

Greg Amy
06-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Touring is missing too. I sent an email to the registrar last week, no response... :shrug:

(John, is UC available up there? Should be, right? If not I'll reimburse you to bring a couple 12-packs...)

Rabbit05
06-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Greg,
I was going to send a email too..but I figured it's something I left out or just missed something trivial...

Yeah I can get you UC in cans here in the Albany area. Orrr... you can get it in bottles out in Utica.

I'll grab a case of bottles for you if I make the stop out in Utica. I am glad someone else besides me drinks UC ..:023:

Greg Amy
06-24-2011, 09:52 AM
No, it's got something to do with how they setup the registrations online. Probably some missed checkboxes. Notice the drop-down list is in alphabetical order and everything past midway through the "s" it ends.

Send an email or call.

I tend to prefer heavier lagers and ales in general (IPAs, stouts), but it's nice to have a good pils around for lightness. Plus, in Germany I developed a taste for a nice refreshing pils. UC fits that bill nicely, along with Stella, Yeungling (wee bit heavier), and Urquell.

Rabbit05
06-24-2011, 10:49 AM
I like to mix it up as well. I'll be on an IPA kick..(love em) and then need a lighter beer..I have been on the Bitburger wagon ...I do like them German beers..:birra:

...and I read your article(s) about your trip to Germany....It sounds like a real good time over there...racing ..beer..racing.. beer...

After reading that stuff I got to thinking
.... "What would it take to bring my (or anyones) IT car to the Nurburgring 24 hour?"

I was going to start a fun thread of something like that...

I believe it's anything over 2.0 L right ??

Greg Amy
06-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Couldn't tell you the prep rules, but there's one big kicker with racing in the VLN series: cage has to be built by an FIA-certified welder/fabricator...how long do you figure before SFI will require that...? :blink:

But on a plus note, rental rates for the "slow" cars are pretty damned "cheap" (racing "cheap", not reality "cheap).

Bitte ein Bit!

rthiele
06-24-2011, 11:32 AM
VLN actually starts with a specials class up to 1.4L or stock up to 1.6L http://www.vln.de/zuschauer_reglement.de.php

Greg is right, too many FIA specifics to be compatible with IT cars. The cage for stock class needs to be screwed in, not welded. The other classes have welded (also FIA spec) cages.

Detailed regulation (bilingual) can be found here: http://adac.24h-rennen.de/uploads/media/Ausschreibung_2011.pdf it is from 24h race which uses the same specs.

If you are interested, check out the 24h race this weekend:
http://adac.24h-rennen.de/Live.4059.0.html?&L=1 you can follow qualifying on the live ticker right now.

Live video Saturday-Sunday on Audi TV
http://tv.audi.com/#/02

Rabbit05
06-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Rob,
Thanks for the links..!! I cant wait to see some footage. I missed out last year's race..

I did manage to watch only 14 out of the 24 of LeMans..live free feed with a HD signal to my 42" flatscreen..it was great and mostly commercial free !

...maybe Audi can make it 2 in a row...:023:

I'll definitely check out the rules..it would be neat just to see what would need to be done...Ahhhh....only if i had a ton of $$$.

rthiele
06-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Awesome. btw there is a BMW Motorsport itunes app as well - I believe with live video. Not sure how good the adac 24h app is, it has live ticker etc. as well.

tdw6974
06-24-2011, 10:44 PM
John, I was checking on site appears there is some work going on may clear it up. If not send email to registrar and Motorsports reg. Still a learning process T Weaver

pukka
06-25-2011, 10:19 AM
No, it's got something to do with how they setup the registrations online. Probably some missed checkboxes. Notice the drop-down list is in alphabetical order and everything past midway through the "s" it ends.

We received a couple of emails from folks yesterday about missing entries in the attendee list so we looked it up and you are correct - some classes were not checked. We've corrected it for the Region so both the attendee list and the entry form now include all classes.

Brian (MSR)

Greg Amy
06-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Brian, thanks for the update.

Now if I can only get the registrar to respond to me on why STL is missing from the supps (and thus Motorsports Reg), and what group we can get that into...if we can get STL run in Group 3, then my partner can drive both STU and Pro-IT...otherwise if they run together we can only enter the car twice. - GA

tdw6974
06-26-2011, 06:54 AM
Brian, thanks for the update.

Now if I can only get the registrar to respond to me on why STL is missing from the supps (and thus Motorsports Reg), and what group we can get that into...if we can get STL run in Group 3, then my partner can drive both STU and Pro-IT...otherwise if they run together we can only enter the car twice. - GA

Greg, Brian and His crew have been very good to respond to any problems I/we have encountered using a new system (most created by me :D) I have sent a follow up to race chair registrar to add the STL in thus that would also help increase # of entries. Thanks For Info. Tom Weaver :eclipsee_steering:

Greg Amy
06-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks, Tom! If you could specify Group 3 for STL so Jeremy can run STU, that would be helpful... - Greg

lateapex911
06-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Something something, group 3 before Greg's group so Jeremy has a car, something something. :D

Kidding!

mossaidis
06-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Something something, group 3 before Greg's group so Jeremy has a car, something something. :D

Kidding!

no you're not... :)

Rabbit05
06-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks all for the updates on the reg issues...I cant wait to go..well as long as I get the new car done in time. :rolleyes: (it should be)

And two 24 hour races for Audi ....:happy204: I saw bits and pieces of the race..that place looks awesome...someday I'll get to the other side of the pond and try out the "Ring".

Does anyone know, for the test day on that Friday, that I would need the car to be teched before hand ?..or is it like a Lime Rock test day where a teched car was not required ?

tdw6974
06-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know, for the test day on that Friday, that I would need the car to be teched before hand ?..or is it like a Lime Rock test day where a teched car was not required ?[/QUOTE]
John, you can run the test day without tech. Just need your normal safety gear and of course $$$ WGI collects that Cash or credit card only no checks. T Weaver

Rabbit05
06-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Ah..very cool !

...thanks Tom...:023:

Jeremy Billiel
07-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Where are all the cars for this event? I know its a little while out still, but not very many cars entered as of yet.

Greg Amy
07-03-2011, 08:54 AM
...and STL is still not listed as an option...

CRallo
07-03-2011, 09:02 AM
No soup for you!

Greg Amy
07-03-2011, 09:45 AM
No soup for you!
Oh, don't worry, it'll be there, even if it requires a protest on-site.

tdw6974
07-03-2011, 10:31 PM
...and STL is still not listed as an option...
Greg, do believe the race chairs are working through the hoops to get added.:shrug:

Greg Amy
07-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks, Tom.

I'm actually looking into writing an article for SportsCar, to improve awareness of Super Touring in general, and Super Touring Light specifically. There's a lot of folks that are completely unaware of that new class... - GA

JohnRW
07-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Well...I have it on good authority that as of this morning, 2 of the 3 SOM (Stewards of the Meet) agreed to an RFA (Request of Action) to add STL to Race Group 5. SOM #3 off fishing someplace. Majority rules, etc.

So I hear.

Jeremy Billiel
07-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Well...I have it on good authority that as of this morning, 2 of the 3 SOM (Stewards of the Meet) agreed to an RFA (Request of Action) to add STL to Race Group 5. SOM #3 off fishing someplace. Majority rules, etc.

So I hear.

Why would this need to be such a big deal?

gran racing
07-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Call it SM9 and you'll good to go. :rolleyes:

Greg Amy
07-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Why would this need to be such a big deal?
'Cause the supps are filed and approved with Topeka for each race. Since the supps for this race did not include STL, and it's listed as a Restricted Regional, it would be perfectly "legal" for them to tell STL competitors to stuff it (which I learned AFTER my post above. Had it been approved as a regular Regional, I would have had a leg to protest on).

I sincerely appreciate the efforts!

This was a simply misunderstanding, a lack of knowledge of the new class. I have volunteered/been volunteered to write a CRB column for an upcoming SportsCar, where I'll talk about Super Touring in general and STL in particular, so that such misunderstandings will be minimized...

For all you sub 2.01-liter cars looking to double-dip, enter STL, not STU, you numbnuts!!! ;)

GA

dickita15
07-06-2011, 06:36 AM
I have volunteered/been volunteered to write a CRB column for an upcoming SportsCar, where I'll talk about Super Touring in general and STL in particular, so that such misunderstandings will be minimized...
GA

In unrelated news Sportscar announces first ever double issue due to overwhelming volume of copy submitted. :026:

Greg Amy
07-06-2011, 06:57 AM
:happy204:

Greg Amy
07-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Just got notified via email that STL is now available for entries on MotorsportsReg. So if anyone is looking to double-dip, now's your chance.

Unfortunately, as you noted above it looks like they added it to Group 5 (I had requested to the co-chairs to add it to Group 3). This means we're going to have to withdraw Jeremy's STU entry so I can enter STL, leaving him with just Pro-IT...this whole situation has been confusing enough for everyone so I'm not going to press it, but it represents lost (and free) revenue for Glen Region...even moreso that other participants in the largest Group 5 can't double-dip into STL (e.g., ITA, ITS RX-7s and Miatae)... :shrug:

GA

mossaidis
07-07-2011, 12:50 PM
pooh...

Group 5 entries stand at 39 cars. wow this will be interesting.
ITA: 15, ITR: 8, ITS: 10, STL: 4, STU: 2

Greg Amy
07-14-2011, 08:39 PM
To add to the confusion/hassles for this event...

I was told via email that "no cards would be charged before the event", that I could pay for the event via check when I arrived. I posted this info here on this forum (somewhere). Much to my significant dismay, after registering I see that my credit card has been charged for the event entry, which really, really, really pisses me off (I do not use my credit card for race entries).

This dysfunction with MotorsportsReg has gone well beyond silly, it's getting downright stupid. Someone at MotorsportsReg needs to spend some time to show ALL registrars -- one-by-one if necessary -- how to use this system so we can use it correctly. Effective immediately, I am no longer using MotorsportsReg until these issues are resolved, I'll simply show up at the registration window with a filled in registration form and a check.

I'd much rather pay a late fee each time that deal with this.

GA

ner88
07-14-2011, 09:27 PM
We at NER will always offer"Pay at the track":023:

wepsbee
07-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Group 5 looks very interesting from my perspective, all the "look up to" drivers
on the track with some very fast cars!! Gonna be fun!!!!