PDA

View Full Version : First Time Annual Tech questions...

StephenB
06-22-2011, 11:55 PM
I am thinking of trying to get the new RX8 up to NHMS on Sunday July 10th to get its logbook and first ever tech inspection done. I was going to race in the event but I have run into a few issues and the car will not be done on time :(

First issue is the borla muffler itself isn't done yet... arrggg its taken 6 weeks and it is now "expected" to arrive July 5th. I guess that is what I should have expected having a special order unit made. If I do bring it up for it's annual tech do I need to start it? I really don't want to run it without a proper muffler on it. I feel like this would be automatic fail since they need to test the kill switch.

Second issue is that I simply don't think I have enough time to get the car painted before the event... 3 different body panel colors as of now. If I do bring it up I wouldn't have done the decals yet since it will just be getting painted the following week, does this equal automatic fail?

With that being said everything else should be done... So before worrying about the stuff above is it even possible to bring a car into the track even though I am not racing?

I know I am almost a 25 year memeber and a few of you are thinking I should know this but it has been years since I had a new car and I am not 100% sure. I do think I know the answer... fail :(

Stephen

Andy Bettencourt
06-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Sound is not a tech issue. You may have to start and demonstrate the kill, but might be able to go to 'run' and show you kill everything.

Paint shouldn't get you a 'clean and presentable by next event' as long as you don't have rust or dents. Heck, its your design. :)

You will be fine.

StephenB
06-23-2011, 12:35 AM
no numbers or SCCA stickers at all. I do have a vinyl cutter so I could throw some on just for the day though...

JoshS
06-23-2011, 01:00 AM
When I first built the Z3, I was in exactly the same boat. There was a good tech day to go to but the car wasn't totally ready. So I brought it without any decals, got a logbook issued, and it had a notation requiring numbers (etc) for the next event. At the next event (the car's first race) it was a much faster tech process and I got an annual.

Not sure if NER does things the same way but at least it's been done.

dickita15
06-23-2011, 05:59 AM
No problem Stephen, bring it up. The simple things like the stickers will be overlooked and serious ones will just get listed in the book as fix by next. No need to start it.

gran racing
06-23-2011, 08:17 AM
I am really looking forward to seeing this car Stephen!

StephenB
06-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks Dave! The engine went in a few weeks ago but I just barely got the fuel test port thing figured out and installed. I also ordered some braided wire for the oil pressure gauge that should be in tomorrow. I can't beleive anyone would use that plastic crap from Autometer and to be honest it scared me! Now I am just waiting on the exaust and then it should be done, other than paint. The next few weeks are very busy for me at work and add on top of that Raymonds wife due in a few days. I will definetly be at the glen with it though. Are you going to that.?. Usually one of the biggest races for attendance here in the NE! After that I will jsut be running local stuff with NER at NHMS. Budget is already blown for the season and travel adds up fast. Plus we are adapting to having Ashlyn with us at the track :)

Stephen

PS: here are some pics from the last month. I will have to take some newer ones!

JeffYoung
06-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Looking good.

JLawton
06-23-2011, 11:57 AM
That doesn't look like an FIA seat to me!!

gran racing
06-23-2011, 12:12 PM
I'll be at the Glen assuming no boom-boom in the LRP race next weekend.

joeg
06-23-2011, 03:26 PM
BTW, a lot of Sprint cars use the equivalent of the Autometer plastic tubing (it's Nylon) and compression fittings for their brake lines!!

It might even be the case with drag cars.

Talk about brave...

nerregmsf
06-24-2011, 09:38 AM
Steve, be sure to come up when Registration is open; come to the Worker window and we'll sign you in. Reg Hrs: Sat - 7-noon; Sun - 730-930. Marilyn

StephenB
06-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks marilyn! I am going to do everything I can to be up for sunday AM :) May I bring a crew member or two? We can work the rest of the day after the car gets its inspection. We could do anything that you need, we need to give back when we can! Or if needed we could work registration then get the car teched afterwards... Whatever you need :)

Stephen

PS: I think working a station would be difficult because I would want to be with the car when they look it over, which would be while cars are on course most likely.

nerregmsf
06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Stephen, Thanks for the offer to help - Because of the Lime Rock event most of the worker areas will be short-staffed. We'll be all set in Registration, and Flagging has the most need, even a 1/2 day would help, or maybe Pits (Chief of Pits is running in the school, I don't know about the regional). And, yes, bring a few crew with you. See me if needed. M.

Matt93SE
06-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Stephen, I suggest just having your stickers and such ready and bring them with you. Tell them you're painting the car next week and show them where you plan to put them and whatnot. (I just stuck the required ones in place with blue tape and made sure they were happy with the locations before I permanently stuck them on.)

Is there anyone near you that could tech the car and issue a logbook? Fortunately in Houston, one of our scrutineers wasn't too far from the house and I just towed the car to work with me and stopped by his house on the way home from work.

As for the exhaust, I don't see it being an issue since an RX8 isn't stupid loud. a GT car is WAY louder than a non-muffled RX8 at idle. to test the kill switch, they just had me rev the car to about 1500rpm and they flipped the switch.